3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First shot confidence?  (Read 570 times)

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
First shot confidence?
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Do any of you have this. In hunting it don't matter how many arrows you can stack when practicing. You're taking a shot at a deer without warm up. My problem is that it takes me a few shots to start hitting accurately at distances. My first shot at 20 - 25 yds. is not a sure thing and I know it therefore I limit my hunting shots from 15-20 yds. I know I can shoot longer distances well after warm up but honestly not consistently on the first shot. Does anyone else have this or are you good right out of the starting blocks. We know that you have to get it right the first try or you have a situation on your hands. I guess I need to bear down and start going out and just shooting one arrow and start evaluating my performance to build confidence. What do you think or do?   :archer2:

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First shot confidence?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Near go to the woods without shooting three times.

I throw three arrows out at various distances and angles and shoot them.  Works to bring my confidence level up.  Limbers my old bones up too.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
You have to have that confidence or not take the shot.  If i don't have the confidence that i can make a shot, that signal in my brain that tells me when to shoot never goes off.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Even in practice my first shot is my best,after that all heck could break loose.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
I believe that we don't always shoot well in practice because we know that we can warm up and then we start really paying attention.  I think it's a good idea to get in the habit of making the first shot count, being there, done that, makes a world of difference in your confidence.  I believe buck fever is more about lacking confidence in ourselves and fear of failure than anything else.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
I do a LOT of shooting one arrow.  We heat with wood and in the cellar I have a 3-D deer at 20 yards and all winter whenever I check the wood I take one shot from 15 to 20 yards.  The other three seasons I take my bow out in the morning before work when feeding the chickens and turkeys and take one shot at a 3-D outdoors.  15 to 35 yards.  If it's raining I take at least one shot indoors.  Since I have been doing this my first shot of the day is usually pretty well in the vitals.  I can't say every time, but I will say I haven't missed that first shot of the day in the vitals when it has been within 20 yards in months.  

I'm doing much better at 30 yards than I ever did when I was in the habit of standing and tossing a dozen arrows from one spot.  I don't intend to deer hunt at that range, but stumps fear me.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Try only shooting one arrow then pulling it. Shoot then pull etc. Start at closer ranges and work back. Shooting before you hunt will help as well.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
I like above know when to take the shot. Some days 25 yards and I am confident others 15 may be my max first shot. Hard to give an idea on how to practice that first shot thing. I would say start shooting one arrow(first shot) at 30 yards everyday, eventually you will get confident at that 30 yard range on first shots or maybe you will find 20 is your max. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Quit shooting groups. 'Shoot and retrieve' is excellent practice. Try to shoot at infrequent intervals too if you can.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
even with my compounds i like to shoot the bow and get warmed up before i hit the woods. just want to make sure everything is perfect.

with my trad gear i plan on warming up alot before i head out
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
i'm different...before I actually go out to practice in the backyard or stumpshoot or especially before a hunt, I ALWAYS warm up with 6-10 shots. Gets my shoulders and upper body loose.

Then when I hit the woods, I expect my first shot, no matter what distance to be either in the target or so close I would consider it a kill. That's just me and my way of doing things...   :dunno:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
The first shot, like any shot is just a mental thing.  When I've had this mental second-guessing, I take a few judos or blunts with me and shoot a few acorns or leaves or whatever around my stand as soon as I get in.  Never bothers the animals, if a deer actually bumped into one it would probably
only serve to stop them out of curiosity anyway.  You want to have a quiet bow for this of course.

It can give you a real good indicator of your confidence and what your range is on THAT day and have you fully prepared for the real shot.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I have shot one arrow at a time for a while now, and it seems to help me alot. I feel I get better practice for hunting that way.

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
If hunting I always try to at least pull the bow several times before leaving the vehicle.  When I get to my hunting location I always try to take a practice shot. When I leave I stump shoot back to the vehicle.
Last and final thought, when practicing no matter if in is the yard or in the woods I always try to vary the first shot distance and try to shoot that shoot as if it is the only one that I am going to make.  First and only shot!

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
You can always set up small targets and shoot single arrows at them. I take business cards and staple them to old couch cushions and shoot single arrows. I do this every other practice session.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I can make that 15 yd. shot without practice , just not so sure about 25. I think I'll take some advice and start shooting 1 arrow only at the longer distance and see what happens. The fact of practicing with multiple arrows and knowing you have other chances is probably a deterent to consentration.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
You'll walk a lot and shoot less.  Mostly like hunting really.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
I used to go stump shooting. I'm thinking I should have kept doing that instead of shooting so much at backstop targets. The answer to good practice is only 25 yds. behind my backstop in the woods.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Confidence in taking any shot is imperitive.

No matter what my practise session is,I take my time , go thru my routine and attempt to execute excellent form and attempt to shoot that arrow as if were my last. Note: I said attempt. When you have established solid form, your confidence will grow and you may find that your 1st shot is one of your best.

I work to address my 1st shot the same as the 100th or any shot at a 3d or an animal.

Extreme focusing on my routine and shot execution has done wonders for me in hunting situations.
There is time to celebrate after good shot execution.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
I have had that feeling at times but here is a couple things that have helped me.  Practice with a judo around the yard.  Shoot...go to the arrow...find another target and shoot from there.  Another thing I have done is hang my bow in the garage near my truck and shoot 1 arrow every morning before going to work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©