3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dipping Aluminumn shafts  (Read 144 times)

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dipping Aluminumn shafts
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Has anyone had success at dipping GameGetter shafts the whole length and having the paint stay on after being shot into bales and 3 d targets? If so what paint did you use?
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dipping Aluminumn shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
I have not dipped full length.  But I do have two notes to make on prepping the shaft before dipping.
First, if using a solvent to clean always use acetone rather than lacquer thinner as lacquer thinner leaves a film and acetone does not.
Second, do not touch the cleaned shaft with your fingers as they will leave oils.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
The only paint I ever used on aluminum (not shafts) that stayed on through much wear was appliance epoxy spray paint.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Bohning paints were designed for use on aluminum shafts. Cleaning well is paramount to a good dip job. Use Acetone as mentioned above or MEK.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
I have had pretty good luck using the Bohning Fletch-Lac paints for full length dipping.

The paint is very durable and some I dipped 40 years ago still look pretty good.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
For years I used an industrial vinyl lacquer, which required the manufacturer's thinner. It was specifically designed for aluminum and metal instruments. The local dealer was VanWaters Rogers. It had great coverage even with a thin coat. I think it was offered in light grey and white, the only negative. The local company changed or was sold. My supply dried up. You might find it by searching online, or with a paint company.

To clean shafts, I used what Easton recommended and the aircraft industry used, AJAX. Cheaper and better than anything else, use a paper towel Ajax and water, rinse and let dry. It etches, cleans and leaves no film. Do NOT use just any powdered detergent, they are not the same.

Ajax works great, just wear cotton gloves so when you handle the shaft, it doesn't pick up oil. Otherwise wash your hands with it before handling the shafts.

Bohning, it is a bit expensive, and toxic, but looks good and comes in a variety of colors, making it hard to beat.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©