3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Filson tin cloth pants?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
Filson tin cloth pants?
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Howdy,
     I am contemplating on buying a pair of filson tin cloth pants for bowhunting.  I was wondering if the "wax" on them would be too smelly.  I hunt whitetails from a treestand. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Filson tin cloth pants?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
The wax does give off a little odor, but if the critter smells it, it will probably smell you as well.  Bigger issue is noise, IMO.  Tin cloth is a heavy cotton.  It's noisy.  Even movement without touching it against anything can create some noise.  These are excellent pants for bird/bunny hunting in heavy cover, or scouting, but not the best choice for bow hunting IMO.

Offline Joe in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Love mine but I agree they are not made to be quiet.  Stricly use them for bird hunting.

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
I agree with the other folks.  Great for woods walking, heavy dirty work, scouting, etc.  They are too noisy for hunting.  Mine smell also.  You are not supposed to wash them as it will remove some of the wax.  I live in the South, and I do not wear them once it gets hot.  They are just too sticky at that time of year.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
The smell wouldn't mean a thing.  There's no chance of staying quiet in them, especially in cold weather.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Wrong pants for bowhunting. They are stiff, loud but repel water and wet snow great. I have a pair of chaps for birdhunting but would never consider them deer hunting, etc.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Check out Duluth Trading Company's "firehose" pants.  Not waterproof like waxed, but these buggers are tough as iron.  A bit spendy (not like Filson, tho) but they'll last forever.  I have a pair of the normal ones in green I wear hunting all the time after it cools off in the fall - they are heavy canvas - and a pair of the logger pants for chainsawing/brush clearing.  Way tougher than Carhartt's and not near as noisy.  Do a websearch and you'll find them.

Ryan

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »

I'm on the left in my Tin-cloth Filsons.  As others have said: too noisy for bowhunting.  They are GREAT for busting through milli-flori rose and blackberry thickets for bunnies but sound like a poly tarp in a hailstorm.  They do have an odor, but I'm not sure if the deer find a human wearing Filsons any worse than a human not wearing Filsons.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Wear their chaps for quail and pheasant but too noisy for deer hunting . Good chaps though
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Too noisy and stiff is right. Also, if the weather turns warm, they stink like oil. I have had a lot of Filson tin cloth pants, chaps, bibs for birdhunting in cold weather and it's tops for that use.

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Yep, too noisy but great for busting through briars and devils club.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I got both dry and wax finish Filson tin pants and I say nay also.....stiffness of heavy canvas = noise even when your not moveing.But whats worse ? they are not warm at all.Fact is if you ai'nt got something on under your tin pants do not go outside if the temp is under about 40 degrees.Well under 40 for me is plenty cold enough I don't like the cold canvas.
If I could mention ? you want good Filson pants for bowhunting check out the whipcord.I got Mac(for real cold) and whip(not so cold) and love them both for bowhunting.Great outdoor garments for any weather bd

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
I usually wear the Filson wool pants for late bow hunting as they are warm. Sometimes I have to put on the double bibs (shelter cloth and tin cloth waxed)when the burrs just can't be kept off the cloths and was very successful hunting without problems. Some noise but not dancing around when the moment of truth comes. Filson does cost but lasts forever (still have every piece ever purchased). Filson better outdoor cloths. Just my 2 cents!
...Mark

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Thanks guys,  I haven't had a chance to handle tin cloth.  I never considered the noise factor with these.  I'm glad I asked.
Thanks again,
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©