3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dr. says- DO NOT SHOOT THAT BOW  (Read 749 times)

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dr. says- DO NOT SHOOT THAT BOW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 03:28:00 AM »
Like stated a few posts ago. If you need to switch to a compound or crossbow do it. No shame in keeping yourself not only healthy but hunting. Right now I am dealing with a hand injury & can't shoot my trad bows for a couple of weeks. I went to the range & watched my buddy shoot yesterday & it drove me nuts! I dug out my wheelie from 06 & shot that with him. It felt so wrong but like he said before we left.... At least you know you could still hunt $ kill anything if you had to. I would hate to switch back but way better than not bow hunting at all. Sometimes it is easy to forget the big picture. Getting out & enjoying the hunting lifestyle. Trad, wheelie, crossbow or gun. We all belong & need to get along. I will be back to trad soon if I let it heal correctly but I don't look down on other folks who are not trad guys. Trad is in my soule but so is just being out there healthy. Good luck

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
Shoot left handed.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:00 AM »
Been there bro and feel for you as it was a strugle for me to get back in the saddle.  I finally just had to listen to the Doc and not shoot for a while and let the inflamation subside totally.  I went months of taking a couple Naproxin to reduce the swelling and just going bowfishing all night when I shoulda been resting my elbow.  Mine was to the point that the weight of the bow in my left arm would make me wence.  My Doc prescribed me some big mg anti-inflamatories and I also found a forearm band used to help w/ carpal-tunnel (sp) was such a HUGE help in keeping the tendons in the forearm/elbow where they were supposed to be w/ light pressure.
Mine just miraculously went away one day, but it took getting rid of my hard head and not shooting to do it.  Rest it up and be ready for the Fall!
Good luck!
Mike
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
I held a Boblee with a real high wrist that might help you out. You could also put a wrist strap on your bow and learn to shoot with a loose grip.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
You put bowhunting in front of traditional archery. I wouldn't rule out other options if you enjoy hunting that much. Hunting is hunting, it really doesn't matter what weapon you carry.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Sorry to hear about this John.

Along the lines of what Whip said, have you tried another bow?

If you are shooting a longbow, could the SLIGHTEST amount of shock aggrivate your elbow a bit?

I have two bows for hunting. My faithful Predator recurve, and a Great Northern Bushbow I got last summer. The Bushbow is a very smooth shooting bow, but after a few months of shooting it exclusively, I strung up the Predator and put a few arrows through it. It was THEN that I really understood the term "dead in your hand".
The Bushbow produces a very mild, pleasant, thump felt in my bow arm, and the Predator transfers NOTHING to my bow arm.

It is just a thought. Regardless, I`m pulling for you.

Out with the bad, in with the good. Eat right, keep yourself fully hydrated, and follow the advice the docs give you.

Keep on planning just as you have been. Your dedication to traditional archery through the years will keep your shooting skills stored between your ears. It will just be a matter of fine tuning when you CAN pick your bow up again. The flight path of your arrows IS stored up there.

There is lots of time between now and then...but there is absolutely NO time for negative thoughts. Just a bit more to do before you go is all.

I`m pulling for you!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I'm with the folks who suggest dropping bow weight and finding the smooooothest bow you can. After the therapy and healing, of course.

My best hunting buddy had to go with a crossbow because of similar problems, which he ignored for too long. Consider it an option- they are not Satan's spawn, regardless of what you hear. My buddy is hunting Osceola turkeys this week with his Xbow, much better than not hunting!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I feel for you. Doing what the doctor says is probably a good idea and what everyone says.  However, I'm in a situation right now (since Oct. 9) where I followed the directions of two doctors (except for the part where they say "act your age").  My third doctor has politely pointed out where the last ortho guy went wrong in my therapy.  I should be about 3 months ahead of where I am right now.  So, not all doctors prescribe correctly and frankly, we patients have no way on God's green earth of knowing.

My issue is a knee so no problem shooting (a lot). But, I laid off because of a shoulder for 7 months in 2009.  I realize we are vulnerable. I have faced the fact that I might live longer than I can shoot a bow.  If I get to the point where I can't shoot a vertical bow (compounds don't bother me)I will turn to my .308 which I have ignored for way too many bow seasons. I won't go to the horizontal arrow pusher though.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
I used to have a similar problem. My problem was an old D-style that i loved to shoot but it didn't like my elbow. I switched to a recurve at the time and it slowly went away. I'm now back  to longbows but I'm particular with which ones.
cheers

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
On another thread someone mentioned Indian Clubs.  I googled it as I have been having left shoulder pain.  Very interesting workout for the elbows and shoulders.  I am going to get a pair and try them out.  Might help you recover more quickly.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by duncan idaho:
Just some more information: stay with your PT until you have completed the process. A lot of elbow/shoulder injuries mirror injuries to baseball pitchers, torn cuffs, sprains, tennis elbow, tommy john surgery, etc...the strength and conditioning programs used by them to rehab is excellent for recovering archers. there are several maintenance programs available on the web. There are several PT'S on this site and I am sure they could recommend some good training/maintenance programs. I would also check with "RAGING WATERS" here on the site, I believe he trains for heavy bows and would have some fitness/ training advise. Good Luck.
HooYah! This is great advice. I am the strength/conditioning coach for the mighty Halifax Blue Comets football program, and I agree completely with this reply.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
I've had the pain you speak of.  Actually I've had shoulder and elbow surgery, along with the knees.  I was to the point that I had to switch picking up my cup to the other hand to have a drink because of the pain.  

I got the xbow permit and used it one year.  Not my cup of tea but I couldn't pull a bow back.  Compound bows aren't the way to go.  Actually they are worst than the trad bows.

With the compound you still have to pull all the weight, then a sudden let off, not good.  With a trad bow you can just pull nice and smoothly till the pain says no more, and letting it down doesn't bother you like it does on a compound.

Do all the therapy and exercises without too much weight.  Don't push it.  The elbow wraps with the little air pillow on them will really help, but if surgery is needed do it.

I ended up dropping my draw weight to about 30# then slowly went a little heavier.  It took me at least a full year to reach  50+#.  Now I shoot 55-60# most all the time.

I still have to pay attention to the pain, but now I have pain in all my joints due to Arthritis, Fibromyalga and Neuropathy.  I still can shoot my bows though, most of the time anyway.  

So if ya need surgery, do it as soon as ya can.  The sooner it's done, the sooner ya can start healin'.  Therapy, exercise, and rest, oh yeah don't forget the ice, will get ya back to shootin' and enjoyin' it.  Good luck, have faith, and just forget about them compounds, they won't help ya.  Good luck...  :archer2:

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I agree with the suggestions to drop in bow weight and shoot with a relaxed grip, using a sling. There's a form issue somewhere here- I had tendonitis in my draw arm elbow and fixed it by correcting my form.

Only thing I would add is to train with an elastic like a "bowfit". Mine is made of surgical tube and a piece of PVC pip for a handle. This will help you identify where the pain is coming from and work around/fix it.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
Having gone through tendonitis on my shoulder and wrist, I feel for you. What worked for me was solid PT, laying off anything that made contributed with the pain. Used everything I could to reduce the inflammation, except painkillers. Whipped my self into the best shape I could, ate better, took my fish oil pills and now I shoot pain free, been this way for three years. Now I always use and exercize band before I shoot.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Had an interesting conversation at the gym today with a younger fella who just happens to be a chiropractor. We got talkin, and he asked if Im doing any ultrasound treatments, and cold laser therapy. The PT script I got is for the ultrsound, but never heard ofthe other one.

His practice does both, and also has a sports therapist on staff. He said that this type if injury can go on for years if not treated properly. He was very understanding of the muscles used and form with archery, which in itself is a big bonus.

I have an appt Monday with the PT place by me, and will also be making an appt with the chiropractor as well. He said he'll look at my elbow to see if its out of alignment, which he sid it sounds like it is to some extent, and get it back where its supposed to be.

So I think with Pt, and some work with the chiropracor and sports therapist, Im heading inthe right direcion .He said its rare to need surgery, butto definitely lay off the bow for a couple months. Also told me some stuff to not do at the gym- no curls, pullups, etc. pushups I can do, and I'll just focus on my legs, which is the most important for them mountains.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
Mine did that too.  I quit shooting for several months and when I statred back  I used a straight up bow...no cant... And I don't hurt anymore.

Canting really put  major stress on my bow arm/elbow. If I cant my bow for just one session I can feel it coming back.

I'm staying with the no-cant form and I am now healthy.  :archer:  

Give it a whirl man...I think it will fix you, but you really need to lay it down for a few months for it to work.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Also...shoot with a totally relaxed  grip...relaxed all the way till the arrow hits the target. I think that is a big key to success also, plus it will improve your accuracy.

GOOD  LUCK!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm the opposite of Robert Honaker. If I don't cant the bow it's more uncomfortable. People are made differently, and you have to find what works for you.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
Being I just had surgery on my left rotorcuff. The bicep I'd torn off couldn't be repaired. My right shoulder was torn already and messed it up even worse this winter on ice. That's to be done in May. I love to hunt to much to rule out any option at all. I'm currently try to procure a Bradley Fighting Vehicle for spring bear.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
For those of you who are using pullups in your rehab or training routine:

for long term shoulder health use a "neutral grip pullup" It places less strain on the shoulders and bicep/elbow tendons, while still improving strength.

google: Youtube/ Men's fitness and there will probably be demo.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©