3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie Mistakes  (Read 506 times)

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie Mistakes
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Well I decided to join the traditional archery world. I picked up a Martin x200 at a local store. I sure wish I had done some reading before I made the purchase because I think the salesman just wanted to make a sale.

I got a 50# draw, which it turns out is a bit much for me. I can draw it ok, but after a half dozen shots I start shaking.

Also, I was having trouble with my accuracy. After several shooting sessions, I just wasn't getting  a decent group. After some research on this site, I discovered I am left eye dominant despite being right handed.

So I bought to heavy of a bow and the wrong hand. I guess I will put it up for sale on craigslist in hopes to get close to what I paid for so I can pick up a lighter bow in a LH model.

If there are any other newbies out there, please don't make these mistakes. Do some homework first. Get a bow you can comfortably draw, and make sure you know your dominant eye. Don't repeat my mistakes. They are costly ones.

Aside from that, I am happy to be a part of the traditional shooting community, shooting a stick bow is a BLAST and I can't wait to take my first deer once I get my mess sorted out.

Thanks for these forums, they seem like a great place for info.
~Brock

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
You're in the right place, everyone here will be wiling to help you with any questions you will have. Just browsing the pow wow everyday you pick up a lot , if there's something you can't find either use the search feature or just simply ask! welcome to the gang!

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Hey hang in there we all make mistakes at first. I sure did but it's all worth it when it all comes together! I can tell you learn from your mistakes and that's the key.
Good Luck
Need help let us know.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Try and find someone to lend you a lighter bow for a while until you have your form right.  You will quickly grow into the 50# bow.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Storkfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I did almost exactly the same thing except I was given a 60# X-200 as a gift. NEarly killed myself for several months but did eventually get to where I could keep 6 inch groups from 20 yards. I am left handed but right eye dominant. I did buy a 45# pearson cougar in December off of ****. That did wonders for my form. I think by deer season, I'll maybe be ready for the heavier one. Its a beautiful bow.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang!

Ask all the questions you need to, there are many folks here willing to help you out.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Welcome to a great sport / hobby / lifestyle.
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
Welcome to the Trad world of archery and Tradgang.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang. Do not worry about the mistakes in learning, that is how you learn. I started shooting in 1966 and believe me I still make them. We all keep learning.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with your bow. You will get stronger and try slightly squinting your left eye. Have fun.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 06:01:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang!   Hang in there, you will be glad you did.
bolong

Offline Hans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
Theese guys are great! just catching the bug myself. alot of good info and an even better family. welcome!

Offline droz il

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
Welcome to the group.
David Miller Old Tom 66" string follow 46@28
HH Robin Hood LH 68" 45@28
Martin Viper  RH 64" 45@28
Bamboo backed hickory ELB #45

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Anonymous

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Welcome!

I am continuously learning on TG and still don't have the knowledge to fill a thimble.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Welcome and don't worry about the mistakes; we've all made them.  You'll get good advice here.
If you can sell the bow for what you paid for it, great; but I wouldn't dump it for a loss quite yet.  You still need to figure out if you want to learn to shoot left handed (assuming you are predominently right handed); or shoot right handed and learn to aim with your right eye.  Either way can work; only you can figure out which works best for you.  You could ultimately end up looking for a right hand bow of about 50# after you build some strength and figure out if you'll be shooting right or left handed; which is why I wouldn't take a loss on that bow quite yet if you can swing it.
In the meantime, I'd suggest finding a used left hand bow of a weight you think would be comfortable; I'll throw 35# - 40# out there as a suggestion.  I wouldn't worry about the bow being of "hunting" weight quite yet; just something to learn good form on and build the strength a bit to handle more pounds should you chose to do that.
The classified ads here are a good place to start looking as well as the online auction site.

Good luck and have fun!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I'm sure it's one of the most common mistakes for a guy starting traditional later in life (switching from the one with wheels especially). Have no fear, I'm sure you'll make a different mistake soon. Lifetime of learning, if you'll willing to listen.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
The "ONLY" way to not make mistakes is to do nothing!!!

That would be a really big mistake to make in itself.

In my opinion.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
You will do just fine, if you were'nt making any mistakes, you wouldn't be learning anything.
Hang in there, we're here to help as much as we can.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
I often use the Martin X200 as an example of just such a situation. Martin makes some very good bows, but in my estimation the X200 is not one of them.

Unfortunately, it is in a price range that seems attractive to new buyers and often shops do not give their employees anything else to work with.

The Bear Grizzly is a better bow for about 200 bucks less.

Still I recommend neither to a newbie. I always say go to the classifieds or **** for your starter bow.

One thing you should do is look for Rob DiStefano, the tradgang techie, and read his treatise for new shooters. It is the best I have seen and had you read it first you would never have bought that bow.  

Unfortunately the harsh lesson still to come is how much of a beating you are gonna take on a bow that is not too much in demand used.

I paid not a whole lot more for my 1960 Kodiaks than you did for that X200; I could easily sell at least one of them for considerably more than I paid for it.

I just bought a brand new Bear Panda for 150 bucks and I am pretty sure it is a 1959 version. If you draw 28 inches or less, I am betting you would like it better than the Martin, and it can be shot either right or left handed.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the support guys. I got the bow for a steal, I thought, only $260. So I think I could get that out of it if I tried hard enough.

I have been trying to train myself to shoot with my right eye by drawing repeatedly in the mirror so I can see the line. As soon as I step away and draw, then go back to the mirror, the arrow moves right back to my left eye.

There sure is a lot of information in these forums. This place is great!
~Brock

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©