3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Snow Feather Water Repellent Mystery…Save 50%  (Read 354 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
No Snow Feather Water Repellent Mystery…Save 50%
« on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I started using No Snow to waterproof my feathers fletching a number of years ago so my fletching did not get messed up when rain and snow showed up during a hunt.  When buying my last can of No Snow spray, I noticed a blue color under the No Snow label. As a curious person I investigated and found No Snow is actually relabeled Meltonian Water & Stain Protector.  I Googled  Meltonian Water & Stain Protector and found it can be bought for under $5 a can.  That is at least half the cost of No Snow. If you use No Snow, now you know the Mystery.

Check out the pictures on the attached link...

http://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o322/Huntfun/No%20Snow%20Mystery/
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Snow Feather Water Repellent Mystery…Save 50%
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Are the ingredients the same and in the same proportions percentage wise for both No Snow and Meltonian Water & Stain Protector? If so, that's a good cost savings.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
I never tried the spray I always used Bohning Feather-dri powder. Always afraid that the spray would mess up the feathers.  How long does it last?

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Night Wing...they must be the same because the No Snow Label was glued over the Meltonian Water & Stain Protector can.  The Meltonian can in the pic is the actual No Snow can I bought but with the No Snow Label removed. It is no secret that many companies relabel and rebrand products but most do a better job of hiding what they have done.  I am now saving over 50% to protect my fletching.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I didn't see any can in the pics, all I saw was some bow limbs?

If this is truly the case of just re-labeling a product with their own name then it's a patent or copyright infringement. They could get themselves in some serious big time trouble and law suits would fly like there's no tomorrow!

Not to mention that it's deceitful, crooked, and underhanded way to do business. It's nothing more than a big fat lie to their customers. I wouldn't do business with them again and I'd dang sure let them know about it.

Of course, that is if this is actually true. At this point it's mere speculation.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I have corrected the link to the No Snow pics. But here it is again...

herhttp://s340.photobucket.com/albums/o322/Huntfun/No%20Snow%20Mystery/

I actually discovered this a few years back and did addressed it with the company that owns and markets No Snow, which is a huge archery conglomerate that owns and markets a lot of different brands including Bear.  I disclosed what I had discovered and asked how they could justify charging what they do and got a very condescending response back from their Marketing persona who offered a couple cans of No Snow free for my troubles. I refused the offer.  Sara Lee owned Meltonian at that time, maybe they still do, and I brought it to their attention too.  No one cares as long as everyone is making a big profit. This is why it is important for us to buy from those businesses that are smaller and focused on creating  a great product at a fair price and are not just repackaging an inexpensive product and jacking the price way up to get a huge profit at the expense of us hunters.
It is totally legal to market a product under a different label as long as you have the permission from the manufacture…keep in mind they are buying it from the manufacture at most likely a wholesale price, which would mean a much greater profit than 50% for them on NO Snow.  If you go to a Grocery store I bet you will find a lot of items that are rebranded under the Grocery Stores name but sold at a lower price than the brand name they have relabeled
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
It is legal and consider ethical in business to license out another companies product and put your name on it. Hundreds of companies and millions of products are handled this way.  Each time the product changes hands to costs go up 50% or more.  All the antifreeze in the country is made in two plants.  Most of them just have a different color added and put in a different bottle.  So you can spend $4 a bottle or $20 a bottle.  Same stuff.  

Thanks for the tip on this. How well does this product work?  Does it last one rain shower, all day, or for weeks?  How often do you retreat your feathers?  Does it cause them to stick together or do they work like untreated feathers?
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
The product does work very good...name brand or relabeled No Snow. I normally apply at the beginning of hunting season and it last a long time…just ones a year which is normally 3 applications (Spray let dry and repeat 3x) and I am good for the season. If heading out west or hunting I put another application on just to be safe. You probably would not know it was applied unless someone told you. I actually think it is just silicone but without an ingredient list on the label you just don't know.
AKA - Huntfun
Compton Life member

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Hah! Love it!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve Chappell:

Night Wing...they must be the same because the No Snow Label was glued over the Meltonian Water & Stain Protector can.  The Meltonian can in the pic is the actual No Snow can I bought but with the No Snow Label removed. It is no secret that many companies relabel and rebrand products but most do a better job of hiding what they have done.  I am now saving over 50% to protect my fletching.
Thanks for the reply comments. This is a great tip and a money saver. I don't normally hunt in the rain, but I do hunt in heavy fog sometimes which is actually a pretty good mist. I do carry a fletch cover, but this is a better way to go. Any thing that helps me have an edge is always appreciated. Again, thanks for the tip.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
GOOD TIP OFF THANKS FOR SHARING,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
Where can you find the Meltonian Water & Stain Protector?  Thanks for the info.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
These guys have it for $2.95 a can:

http://www.countryclubsupply.com/servlet/Detail?no=8600

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Grey,

$2.95 a can + over $14.00 to ship from that site!
Ouch!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I use a 3M product that is for the same use-you can buy it at ACE hardware-having a senior moment on the name though. (senior without the squiggle under the n)    :bigsmyl:

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 02:05:00 AM »
Whoops, sorry. I didn't go far enough to look at shipping costs. I just did a Google search to see who carried it.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
I do know it works good. Used it last fall for the first time and was very pleased. Doesn't bother feathers, wraps or cresting. Just seems to repel water very well. I applied two coats.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
That's another thing you have to watch no matter who you buy from is the shipping cost. That auction site is real bad about it, they make you think your getting a heck of a deal until they hit you with the shipping. You gotta be careful and look at all the charges and not just the price of the item before you agree to buy it. I hate that site just for that reason, shipping gouging!

I even got into it with several retailers over this very thing because I ship alot of stuff all over the country and I know what it costs to ship. Anybody who charges $10 bucks to ship an item that will fit in a small flat rate box is just gouging people. That's something I have never condoned and it's just wrong in my opinon. They can call it handling, or stocking fee, or whatever BS label they want to put on it, but bottom line is that it's just plain crooked.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©