3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever lost a contact while out hunting?!?!?  (Read 676 times)

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever lost a contact while out hunting?!?!?
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I have twice and the most recant was this last year......right at prime time  :readit:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever lost a contact while out hunting?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
I was out deep in the pine barrens and took a branch to the eye and ripped my contact. I had a 30 min drive at night through the woods and them another 25 min on a major highway with one eye.What a freaken nightmare,I looked like Rooster Cogburn driving down the road.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline free2bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Yes, when I was a teenager a limb switched one out of my eye.  I took my mom back to the spot the next day and while I was at school she found it.  She was the best I ever saw at pulling off these kinds of feats....

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
1 1/2 hours north of home. It sucks. I may get Lasik as well.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Lost one when a small branch hit me in the winter of 79-80 at Potato Creek State Park. I was on a "pest" control mission.

Lasik in January 2007 was one of the best things I've ever done for myself!  Went from legally blind without correction to better than 20:20 in both eyes. I like to show off now by reading signs way down the road!

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
My son lost 1 in the cabin the first morning of buck season this year. The only set he had with him. We all tried to find it but no luck. I think it ended up getting under a built in cabinet. Luckily my wife reminded him to take a set of his glasses with him. Saved the day for his hunt.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
I have lost them dozens of times. Carry extra set in my truck and another set in my backpack.

I decided last year to hunt only with my glasses. I had them fog up if I got too warm. Then as it got cold and was wearing face mask they would fog every time I would breath out.

Checked into Lasik but not a good candidate they claim.
PBS  Member

Offline bigugly1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I haven't but I hope to get lasik next year.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
True story: Last year I headed out to the Ohio Tradgang  traditional hunt. One afternoon 4 of us went to the same area that at least 2 of us had never been too. I was the first one to drop off and go look for a stand site. Now I've only been wearing glasses for a year now and hate walking in the woods with them so I hung them on my shirt. In the process of looking for the right tree and hanging my stand, I lost them. Didn't know it till I got situated in my tree. So I had to climb down and try and retrace my steps to all the trees I checked out and search for something I was starting to realize I'd never see without my glasses.  :banghead:   Finally I gave the base of my tree that my stand was in a good going-over and viola, there they were. Naturally they were all bent and twisted where I was stepping on them while setting up my stand, but I was still so relieved. I was starting to think how I would read my road map to get home. Not a good feeling. Even funnier is that I never told any of the Ohio guys around camp.  :campfire:   Wouldn't want them to think any less of me!  :laughing:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
My father in law dropped his glasses overboard on the first day of a week long Canadian fishing trip. No spares.

I gave up trying to wear contacts while hunting. Too much hassle and the wind really bothered them. I bought $29 distance glasses from Wally World and never looked back. Pun intended.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Tom1954

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I was hunting the edge of a corn field after work about 25 years ago and heard movement to my left.  Rather than moving my head to look, I tried to rotate my eyes as far as they would go.  POP!  Left contact in the leaves.  Found it though.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
several times.  Spares AND glsses in backpack.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I HAVE,LOST CONTACT WITH SOCIETY WHILE IN THE WOODS,,,,THEN IT WAS BACK TO REALITY ON MY WAY OUT TO MY CAR,,,I FELT LIKE THE GUY IN THE MATRIKS ,FUNNELING THROUGH A CABLE,THEN I'M IN MY CAR ON THE WAY TO WORK,,,,LOL,,NO GLASSES FOR ME GUYS....THANK GOD,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Never had a problem losing them, since I wear disposable contacts and carry extras.  However, I do have a question about contacts and hunting.

I usually go on multi-day hunts where the sanitary facilities are pretty basic: i.e. whatever washing up you do is out of an ice-cold creek which may not be all that convenient to camp.  What do you guys do about keeping your dirty fingers out of your eyes when you put the contacts in and take them out?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
What do you guys do about keeping your dirty fingers out of your eyes when you put the contacts in and take them out?
I, personally don't fiddle with them while out there and when in camp heat some water and wash my hands well before fooling with food or contacts. I wear gas permeable lenses. If an emergency, saliva will work.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Dropped one last year... it landed right on the base of my Summit... should have seen me 30 feet in the air trying to reach down and get it!!!
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I have been lucky and never lost one. Have had to put them in when on an extended trip though. In a pinch saliva is the best bet.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Was hunting up above Big Sky some years ago with a great friend.  He had stuffed some foil pouched tuna for midday snack in his pack.  Well, this area is prime grizzly country, and in the process of opening the tuna, it ripped open and went all over him.  Any way the conversation after that brought about a laughter so hard one of my contacts popped out and fell in the dirt right between my legs.  Me being the smarter one was eating a fruit bar, and not thinking anything about it, I just picked up that contact and popped it in my mouth to rinse it off.  After that I proceeded to pop it right in my eye.  Needless to say the acid from fruit and your eye don't mix.  So now I pack a few spare pairs.....................
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
I got Lasik before my Alaskan brown bear hunt in 2006, hands down, the best thing I have done for myself regarding bowhunting.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline hightop_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Loss mine all the time specially when i fall asleep in the stand hahhahah end up crawling to the car and calling my dad. my vision with out aid is about 5 inches in front of my face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©