3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The road goes on-Moderator Meltdown  (Read 7962 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The road goes on-Moderator Meltdown
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »
Curt,

Thanks for giving us our first fix. I can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip went for you guys. Never hurts to have Charlie Lamb as your personal guide to South Texas does it?

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »
These hunt-alongs sure are fun.  Thanks for taking the time and effort to bring it to us.  Chad

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »
Dang Curt!!! Great pics and story as well!!!

Can't wait for the "Rest of the Story"!!!!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 01:52:00 AM »
OK, now we're getting somehwere...continue sir   :bigsmyl:  

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 05:40:00 AM »
After loading the Javi in the truck,we decided to go back to camp,get the big ol' gal in the freezer and head out behind camp to another area to see if anything was going on.We unloaded her,grabbed a quick drink and were off.....

It wasn't long and I saw my first Texas blacktail jackrabbit.These things are wired and it's tough getting close for a good shot.There were pair of them that we played cat and mouse with,but one finally stopped at about 20yds.Without thinking I grabbed a judo,and took a quick shot,which I missed.I went and got my arrow and as I got back to the truck I got to thinking I should probably have a little more fire power for such a big rabbit....Charlie confirmed my thoughts,nodding,"yeah,a broadhead is probably a good idea".

It wasn't long and we caught up to another one that must have thought he was invisable behind a little bush.This time I had a Snuffer on the string....I went to one side of the bush...but just couldn't manage to find a spot to shoot,and he took a couple hops to the other side. I worked my way around,got down on my knees,got as low as I could,canted my bow horizontal to the ground and send that big ol' Snuffer 160 on a 15yd. mission.

The arrow took the jack in the hind quarter and came out in it's neck.I looked at Charlie and he gave me a big smile and a "thumbs up". I was happy with the shot,and would come to find out it was the only jack killed on the hunt........

be back later....hopefully more guys will chime in as time permits.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 06:34:00 AM »
That's what I'm talking about!  Way to go Curt!  I'm looking forward to more pics and stories on this one, sounds like you guys had a great time.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 07:19:00 AM »
alright GURU   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  Javie's are fun aren't they?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »
Looks tons of fun, one of this days...  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
Hey Curt, you have to much fun  :thumbsup:  

is that a little grey I see on your chin??
looks like you're catching up to me  "[tunglaff]"

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
good shooting on both animals
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks guys.....it gets better....we need some more to chime in...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
You are doing great Curt! Keep at it. I pop in and out as the few minutes a day become available.

On the leading edge of the hunt, Charlie Lamb and I found ourselves to be the first arriving. We were soon followed by Kevin Smith and we headed into the ranch. Once our gear was stowed we took inventory of all new surroundings at the ranch. There is lots of new construction going on and it's neet to see the new buildings in their infantile stages. Charlie, Kevin and myself stood in the shade adjacent the very large lake that surrounds the camp till a shiny new rental blazer pulled up. The boyz were arriving and just in time for the evening hunt.

I was honored with the task of showing Chad Jones around the ranch the first evening. He was stuck with me for the evening and little was I to know how special it would be. We later bid an early goodby to Chad as he was called away on family emergency. My only regret was not seeing Chad succeed in taking a few game animals while he was here. Chad said it was a neet experience to be in South Texas as the sun went down. Im glad I was there to see it myself. I only saw one javelina that evening as I recall but I did have some fond memories made as the Bull Bats danced the air currents surrounding me not 10 feet away from my head. There is something strange about the way those night birds can pick a camo'd hunter out of the underbrush and wreck havoc of his nerves as darkness falls. The day complete, we found ourselves gathered at the round table for a comparison of the evenings events. CK

Something to keep you interested.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
One thing everyone on the hunt should have learned to do is never give up and get behind and push if need be. Take a hint from this beatle and push this BS story into high gear! CK

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
I fired my fair share of warning shots during this hunt.  I was teamed up with Terry Green on Sunday and we had javy action.  We stalked a group in the morning that was traveling away from us.  It was tough trying to close the distance as the little beasts were feeding at a rapid pace. After 45 minutes we had closed the gap to approx. 40 yards when we ran out of cover.  The javies decided this was a good place to cut across and started filing through in front of us at approx. 35 yds.  We had one skinny bush to hide behind and you can see from the video that I don't hide well behind one skinny bush.  Terry was well hidden behind me and was filming over my shoulder.  There's one more skinny bush between us and the herd. As the first javy stepped behind that bush I came to full draw...and they all stopped.  I held for what seemed like an hour but in reality was only just a few seconds.  They finally started moving again and I burned a hole just behind the front leg of the lead javy and let fly...just over the back. Those mini piggies burst out of there like their tails were on fire, making noises and raising hackles as they went.  You can't believe just how fast these little critters are.  So I had two warning shots that morning but I didn't care.  I was having a ball and spending the time with a good friend who I could now talk to face to face.  Doesn't get any better than that!  Thanks T.   :thumbsup:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
Well, this sure won't be your average bowhuntin thread... count on that!

It sure didn't start out that way from the get go. Heck! I rolled into Curtis' place and he'd put a moratorium on Debbie's cheesecake cookin and my munchin on it by default.

Guess I do owe him a favor for that. I can't resist Debbie's cookin and need to drop some pounds (ok, a lot of pounds).
Good thing that boy don't like sweets. He have to put his arms out to the side to tell if he was walkin or rollin otherwise.

We limbered up that afternoon with a stroll around his property. We checked out the hog sign that always seems to be there when I am and shot our bows in anticipation of the coming day's hunt.

Morning came more or less on time and we headed off down the single lane black top toward I-35 and Laredo.

I'll get on this a little more in the morning. I've got a bad case of truck lag goin on from the long drive home. I'm sure in the morning, with a tummy full of hot coffee, I'll be in more of a mood for tellin the gory details of our moderator melt.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
Aahh!! Tha master story teller is about to begin!!!

Good to see ya home safe and sound bud.I know, we talked about how long those trips home are,compared to the trip going to a hunt    "[moon]"

Back at camp the first night was great, having all of the guys to share my success,and story with.We compared sightings, ate a fabulous mexican meal(all the meals were outstanding!!!!).

I would then find out that I would again have the priveledge to hunt with Charlie in the morning!!  

The fun would continue and the critters were in big trouble!!!  Stories, pix and more video to follow.........
Curt } >>--->   

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »
AH HA....Someone broke the silence and spoke of "THE FOOD"  Elaborate More, oh silver fingered fellows...   :scared:  

This is great guys keep them comming.........vance

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
Anybody home?????

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 06:08:00 AM »
An example of our nightly entertainment....Kevein Smith is extremely talanted!!  Good Luck Bud,I hope it all works out for ya.........

Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©