3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME on its way  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME on its way
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by NoCams:

Nope, made for knives and two blade heads only. You can also sharpen removable bleeder blades as well.

Snuffers and WW's get the 16" Nicholson mill bastard, then stropped on a wooden block with thick leather glued on top.
The KME Knife Sharpener "will" sharpen 3 blade broadheads like the Snuffer and WW's. Look at the 6:47 minute mark on the video below and you'll see how this guy sharpens his Snuffers and WW's using the KME Knife Sharpener.

Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I stand corrected Nightwing....

However, and Ron may chime in here.... To steal the line from the movie, " The Hunt for Red October ".... 105 % on the reactor possible, but not recommended ". I see it can be done but I can also see all that rotating in the rubber jaws tearing the rubber up. Also if it was a glue on you would have to glue in an adaptor just to hold it for sharpening. File and leather strop for 3 blades is so much faster and more simple. He is also putting a compound angle on those three blades as well. I would think he is removing much more metal at the tip, thus weakening them. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
so it seems like the knife sharpener is the way to go instead of getting the one just for broadheads?
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Personal preference sawtoothscream,but at least with the knife sharpener you will not only have sharp broadheads, but a sharp knife for cutting up the rewards !
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
Personal preference sawtoothscream,but at least with the knife sharpener you will not only have sharp broadheads, but a sharp knife for cutting up the rewards !
If you can get the same good hunting sharp results with the knife one, than it sounds lime the way for me to go. I only plan on using 2 blades for the most part.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
end of this thread for you sawtoothscream.... all you need to do is hit the KME website or give them a call for the knife sharpener. You will look back and say as I have, best $$$ I ever spent. You will need to decide about regular or diamond kit. I went with the standard and ordered a extra coarse diamond stone to compliment it. The extra coarse diamond is good for hoggin off metal. In fact for most applications Ron recommends the regular kit. The extra coarse diamond would help you hog metal off any two blade heads that are laminated like a Zwickey. Factory bevel is steep and you need to removed quite a bit of metal. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I spoke with Ron this morning and ordered one of the broadhead systems, what a nice guy to talk to, I have heard nothing but good things about KME. Money well spent I'm sure. Made in the USA as well.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »
where do you guys sit your stinger heads in the jaws? do you butt it against the ferrule? I cant seem to get the same angle the factory is. My sharpie marker is only missing half the marks and when I adjust it its took some metal off the ferule? please help
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
Babs... don't your Stingers come apart? That could solve your problem.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here can show me a picture on where they put there stingers in the knife clamp, and what angle works best for them. I got my knife to sharpen up quick still having problems with the stingers. A picture would help alot thanks gang
Border tempest hex 7

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Babs,

Sorry man, I meant to post this yesterday...  I don't have a picture of a Magnus Stinger in the clamp but here's an Abowyer Brown Bear. This is how we typically place any BHD in the jaws of the knife sharpener. You want the tip extending out to one side and the blade you're sharpening to be as close to parallel with the front of the jaws as possible. This pic shows that the angle is set a bit too low because the ink is only being removed from the shoulder of the bevel. If you need help, give me or Jake a call today or tonight and we'll walk you through it. Thanks,

Ron
800 561-4339

“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Ron. Great picture. Great product.  :thumbsup:

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
thanks I'll give that a try
Border tempest hex 7

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »
Ron,I tried it today and I still seem to take metal off my ferrule unless I take it past 25 degrees and I was told it should be 22-25. When i do get it to take the sharpie marks off the blade the very tip off the broadhead still has the marker on it. about 1/4-1/2 mark left on. Sorry for the questions its the first time trying to sharpen pretty much anything. I did get my buck knife to take my arm hair off lol. Just having trouble with these darn stingers, but I love these broadheads.
Border tempest hex 7

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by babs:
Ron,I tried it today and I still seem to take metal off my ferrule unless I take it past 25 degrees and I was told it should be 22-25.
Cha-ching! Sometimes just a little detail... Forget what the angle scale is set at. The angle scales on all clamp-on systems are relative, not absolute. Basic geometry dictates that the sharpening angle with be influenced not only by the height of the rod guide but also by the distance the blade extends out in front of the clamp. Raise the guide up if you need to. Clear the ferrule and you will in fact be sharpening at 22-25 degrees no matter what the scale says. Do take note of the setting though so that when they need to be touched up, you'll be able to reproduce the same bevel angle every time. Keep us posted.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
Ron,

What is the correct angle for a double beveled broadhead-is it 22-25 degrees as well?

Thanks,

Doug

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by DTD:
Ron,

What is the correct angle for a double beveled broadhead-is it 22-25 degrees as well?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug,

Yes 22-25 degrees is about where you want to be but again, the angle scale is relative. Pay more attention to the ferrule clearance than what the angle scale says. The best way to "find" the correct angle is to color the factory bevel with a marker, eyeball the angle as best you can, then take a couple of swipes with a dry stone to see where you took the ink off. If the stone isn't taking ink all the way to the cutting edge, raise the angle till it does. Better to be a bit too high with the angle than a bit too low.

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Excellent info  :thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Wow this sounds like a great product.  I am going to have to look at this product closely.  I have been using a little shaver with a file for 20 years but this looks better to me.
Thanks,
John
habujohn

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
Thanks ron I think I got it now. my stingers are shaving hair now. thanks for everything
Border tempest hex 7

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©