3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13955 times)

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2011, 04:09:00 AM »
Just thought I would add my lifting routine for those interested. I alternate upper & lower each day to give the other recovery time.
Upper-
incline bench
biceps
triceps
lat pull downs seated
shoulder raises front & side
standing rows
I do sets of 12 usually & start with 75% weight with first set adding weight each go around. That gives your muscles time to warm & stretch some. No rest in between unless you can't breath at all. The last set I sometimes can't get 12 reps but 6 is the minimum for a set. This is also a push pull system. Sometimes I will change it up but that is my basic routine.
Lower-
quads
leg extentions
hamstrings
step ups
lunges
squats
I do the same as upper & increase weight each set. My knee limits my workouts but I do as much as I can. Typical weight for me in this routine would be starting with 110/ 150lbs ending for quads leg press I do the rack which is 900#s hams 130/ 180 step ups start with 35 end with 80# dumbell in each hand on a 16" step when knee is good walking lunges & squat whatever the knee is happy with at the time.
For cardio I bike as much as fast as possible with 15 mile minimum. Knee replacement will eventually happen but not until I can't hunt or do what I want.
Long winded so just keep it up guys!!!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
BTT for the motivation.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
Back up on this one.

Keep pumpin' fellas!

Anybody wanna know about the Insanity program, just PM me. I'm about to enter the second phase.

No matter what exercise program you're on, keep going. It's amazing what an emotional, physical and mental evolution it is when you push your limits.

The bottom line is, if you're hunting elk, you'll need some kind of plan.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
Hey ELK-FITer's, let's not lose our momentum. I'm definitely guilty of not posting lately, but have literally been working my arse off. Hope you have too.

Through inspiration and knowledge gained on this thread, I have picked up a copy of The Primal Blueprint and have been reading both  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/  and  http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum;jsessionid=E96C7459E92191EAF9FE7ECC0EF22BC9-mcd02.hydra.

Even without having a full-blown, disciplined workout plan, I have been incorporating the Primal eating/exercise philosophy into my routine and will be adding a Tabata regimen (  http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_tabata_method_perfected  ).

I haven't been on the scale much, but my performance in every workout is getting better, I'm down to the last notch on a very large belt, and I feel great. Within the next week, I will share what I've settled on, workout-wise.

I'm thinking I may just have to run down a big bull and wrestle him this Fall!   ;)

Keep it up guys & let's hear from everyone else.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Running 3x a week and pack weight is up to 42# doing 2-5 miles 2x a week.  

Down to 172# from 180#.  Portion control is my downfall.  If I can just keep from having that last roll or half a helping of dinner  :)

I'm pondering a 13.2 mile jog/hike this weekend as the Indy 500 Mini-Marathon is this Saturday.  I would never run with the masses but I know of a great trail that might see me this weekend.  Turkey season is open too so I might have to carry the ambush bow along.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
With all the spring ditch cleaning at a fast pace and walking or peddling the bike nightly I'm starting to feel better. Turkey season has kicked me into high gear by doing several 5 mile hikes with a 40 lb pack since last weekend. I'm hoping to get a couple more hikes in this week. Thanks for everyone posting it's helps motivate me to not slack off.

Offline dryfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Great thread. I've got a lot of work to do. Let the games begin!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Wow!  You guys have been at this for better than five weeks and I just found this thread!

Better late than never!

I was hoping to be getting "Sheep Fit", but that's not to be.  Been thinking about the need for a program for a long time.  Last year my hunt was severely curtailed by lack of aerobic fitness  and pain in one foot.  

I have a few things going in my favor;  I live at 5600 ft and have easy access to higher elevations.  And, I know what and how to do it, but just have not been working at it for many years.

So, here's my baseline:

6' 1" tall
280#
age 64 and odo rolling over to 65 in July  :eek:  

For all of us, this is life or death.  For guys like me this it's just a little closer to death.

Hope to report back with positive results!

jack, thanks for starting this thread.  It's got the whole thing at the forefront of my mind where it should be!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Silvertip Marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
I have been getting in shape for the Jim Bridger trail run in Bozeman MT.  It is June 25...anyone interested in doing it with me?  It is a 10 mile run.  It is in no way a race for me!!  Goal is to do it in 3 hours.  Let me know if any other tradgangers want to do it.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Back up for those of us with our heads still in the game.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Push your limits.

Dig deep.

The elk don't care if you're overweight, they don't want to get shot. Wanna show up where they live?

There's a couple hills between you and them.

What's this thread about anyway?

Tell me what you're doing to make the difference.

I AM!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
All good advice on phyical conditioning. Might be a good idea to wear your 'new' elk boots while doing it to break them in.

One thing that I don't believe has been mentioned is altitude sickness.

You need to arrive a few days early to acclimate. Pulling in on Friday at 10,000' to setup camp, drink a few beers, and hit it hard on the Saturday opener is not a wise choice, but is all to often what happens, and I've seen more than one hunt ruined due to altitude sickness.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Don't know if I'll get to chase elk this year but I started at a crossfit gym 6 weeks ago. I've lost 14 lbs, mostly by cleaning up my diet. Feeling alot stronger now and starting to add some running a few days a week

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
As an update, I'm down 28lbs since end of Feb.  Running, elliptical, biking, or swimming 5-6 days a week.  Probably doing a Sprint Triathlon in Aug, maybe one sooner if I feel I'm ready enough.

Chasing turks on Saturdays while breaking in the new boots.  Having some trouble there though.  Changed inserts and went to heavier Smartwool socks which seemed to help.  Kenetreks are a lot stiffer than I'm used to wearing.  All camo is getting too big which is a good problem to have.  Like my jeans, I've save some camo from when I was thinner in the hopes of getting back into them or handing them down to the boys as they grow.

Finally will be mowing the lawn this week.  Push mower (not self propelled) and a backpack ought to burn some cals.

Probably take the boys stumpin' this afternoon as I haven't been practicing much lately.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Wow, down 28 lbs since Feb..now that's what I call progress!!! Good job Scott!

Keep it up everyone!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Ran for a straight hour last week and recovered well. Saturday, I went to a chi running clinic to see how my form was doing. Was at a standstill with weight loss, stayed at 192 for two weeks, then went down to 189 the end of last week. Down 29 lbs since February 14th. This week's focus is on my running form.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I havn't posted in a few weeks been extremly busy at work,and am having and old shoulder injury that is giving me fits now,very painful,even running it smarts. I've just been using my wife treadmill every day and am just trying to maintain forward progress.Slow and steady will have to do for a few more weeks.

Great job on the weight loss guys keep it up.
Jeff Couture

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
I worked like a fiend in the yards (mine and Mom's) on Saturday.  Then Sunday played ball with the teenagers in the family, basketball and baseball.  That'll make you feel old.  

Last night I went on a 4 mile jog on the Canal Trail and around Butler U. (GO DAWGS) here in Indy.  Cooled down with a mile or so hike.  Doing 3 miles with the 42# pack later today.  Moving up to 50# on Thursday.

Feeling good.  Recovering faster.

I got every book on Elk and Elk Hunting the library owns.  Re-reading Schuh and Knoblaugh also.  Starting to watch vids this week also.  really getting stoked!!!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Great thread.

I'm 53. I made my decision last winter to commit to fitness. On Jan. 5 I weighed 257 lbs. I went on a freaky diet, the HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin - intramuscular injections) program and today I weigh 207 where I am holding steady and/or losing slowly, but it's hard to tell because I'm gaining muscle mass. I was running 3 miles every other day, but I have a huge health insurance deductible and my doctor pointed out to me all the great things I could buy for the price of a single bad knee, so I am now I am hiking 3 to 5 miles every other day on the Methow Wildlife Area, gradually increasing the length and steepness of my hikes.

I also lift weights every other day. Dumbbells mostly, 3 sets of progressively high reps, focusing on my shoulder (both major and minor) and back muscles. And various core exercises, like elevated push-ups.

My main concern now is injury, but I think I'm on the right track. I just got a book on shoulder injuries from the library that has a bunch of good stretches to try.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
I think this year I will shoot for "black-tail" fit and next year for Elk fit.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©