3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13954 times)

Offline Roots

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Thanks, found this to be a very motivational thread, will get my butt off the chair and hit the bike and seriously think about my health. Through the yrs I have found it harder to lug my tree stand to more remote locations, do not want to use an atv as it defeats the purpose of enjoying the outdoors and being able to see and hear everything.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
ttt...

Posting so i can find it later...

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Haven't posted since the first of the thread. A word of caution, BE CAREFUL! I injured my shoulder 2 and a half months ago playing basketball with my boys. It limited my abilities. After healing, now I'm baiting bear, both baits are baited using a backpack with 40-60 lbs twice a week. I loved insanity, bbut love hiking the same hills the elk live with weight. Starting to feel better and stronger. Keep it up guys, Aug/Sept is not that far away.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I have to keep telling myself that my enthusiasm is still 18 but my joints and tendons act their age.

After I turned 40 injury by going too far too fast or just forcing the clock has been my number one problem.

I keep a diary about distances and time and weights and reps and sets and when I get a HELLO! from a knee or a shoulder I give it a couple of days off. As I get older I have to be more and more methodical. Smarter.

When I was young I had the pleasure of being around some very serious older hunters who could walk my legs off. I now know they got that way by inches and yards every day not miles and miles once a year.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I know what you mean, my 40th birthday was like the day after your car warrenty expires and everything starts going wrong.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Upped my cardio to over 40 min a day 5 days a week. Taking walks with the bow stumping and looking for turkeys and mushrooms. Things going well and looking forward to Colorado in August.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
I learned about Paleo on this thread and after about a month eating paleo feel great and I am down 8lbs (only needed to lose 10 to 12). Not much in weight loss I know but it comes off slow and you feel great. I have also removed a good 4 inch layer of wild game off the top of the freezer it closes easly now. The weather should clear SOON (please Lord) and I will increase my exercise.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I want to second some of the comments from the older  crowd.
At 52 I found my inherent mental intensity that always kept me in the game when younger could be a problem now. Sure it helps, but I had to learn patience.

Yes push hard. But if you are older, it is the steady, incremental, persistent, more balanced and long term effort that will reward you with great conditioning without injury. You can easily push yourself to injury if you are over 45.
I am 3 years into my own plan and I can say you WILL be in better shape using a longer planned trajectory than the steeper one we all could handle when we were younger.

The key for my own success is I enjoy doing a lot of it (at least the hockey part anyway). It is very hard to sustain an advanced level of fitness without enjoyment as a big component. That is why so many cannot keep it going over the long term- its all work.
 I think those of you who incorporate hiking for pleasure as a part of the routine are very smart.  Increasing fitness, seeing results in a  rewarding way (climb higher/farther/easier) doing something you love.

Those are my thoughts...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Good advice Joshua.
I turned 50 today. Still have the mental drive but I definitely need to be careful, and give myself recovery time after hard activity. With this Insanity thing I'm doing, I can see the signs of overtraining creeping up.

Youth is wasted on the young!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Happy birthday, COLongbow. Welcome to the age of reason! (Like... the reason your knee hurts and the reason your elbow hurts and the reason your hair falls out and the reason 5 a.m. keeps getting earlier and earlier...)
Pat McGann

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Glad to see so many folks getting fueled by this thread and making progress on their personal goals.  Inspiring!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Bringing it back to the top.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Thanks Scott. Guys, I am in the middle of taking a week off of going hard core. I'm visiting family out of state and have been spending my time with them. My niece graduated from college this past weekend and my grandmother passed away a couple days ago, so I have been eating celebration and consolation meals. I gave up on trying to stay on my paleo.primal eating plan. Staying active, just not going at the workouts like I was. I'll start up again on Sunday though.

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
I'm lucky to have been able to hunt elk 15 of the last 16 years(two years I just called for friends). We usually camp at 10,000' and hike as high as 12,000 and as low as 8,500'(I live at 1,000') with long days hiking up and down and some 15-20 mile days (what's a horse?). I started the first year by running 10 to 15 mile weeks and got my hat and some body parts handed to me. I did kill an elk after 3 weeks of pain. Later I tried more running, up to 50 mile weeks and getting to camp early to aclimate. Better but, I have learned that it takes more than just cardio. Your legs have to be strong and conditioned. I got a hip sled a year ago and worked up to 600lb squats along with all the cardio I could stand and had the best season ever last fall. Packed out two elk of my own and helped with three others and my legs never did get sore (not, "where is the ibuprofen and somebody help me put on my pants!" kinda sore).

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Let's bring this back up!

Well, I completed the Insanity program. Managed to not miss a single workout during the 6 day a week, 9 week program. Lost 22 lbs and gained pretty good muscle, especially in my legs. Cardio through the roof.

How the rest of you doing?
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I am one pound away from 60 pounds lost since Jan. 4. I'm up to 5 steep miles daily, walking not running. Back in March half this was killing me and now it feels easy. Time to find a steeper hill. I'm up to 20 pounds in the pack. I am between sets of free weights and feet elevated push-ups (65 per set) as I type this.

Still lots of shin splints and some knee pain but it's better. Ankles are fine. Feet are fine. All the tendonitis in my elbows and shoulders is gone.

Getting up in the dark. Going to bed in the light.
Pat McGann

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
BTT

Good work Paddy.  I wonder if the shin splints are from your shoes.  I used to get them quite a bit but this year I broke down and bought good running shoes, no pain from splints at all and I've been running a lot.  Just a thought.

I'm down 42lbs since Feb 25th.  I'd like to lose another 13 by end of July.   Training for a sprint distance triathlon the beginning of August.

I've picked up the shooting more too.  Doesn't help to be in better shape but can't hit anything.  Plan to do some stumping with the weighted pack on this weekend.
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Scott, could be. I just switched yesterday from my hunting boots to a pair of new Merril trail runners. Don't want to wear out my boots! We'll see what happens. As of Aug 1 my hiking will be in the woods, with my bow.

I've got 5 more pounds to lose by Sept. 1. I'm way ahead of schedule. All I'm doing is working out hard and avoiding high glycemic carbs (bread, pasta, spuds, candy). But if I hit my target early? There is going to be some brown sugar and bourbon in the BBQ sauce, lemme tellya.    :D
Pat McGann

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I feel pretty good.  Amping up the workouts every week.  Got 47# in the pack now.  Started running my local HS basebal fields and associated bleachers.  Decent enough workout.  Wish we had some hills around.  Still about 5# to get under 170# which is my goal.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
BTT
Maurice Thompson 1879

Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©