3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13953 times)

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Posted this in the wrong topic. Been sick & have had to alter everything. Posted in Ever been to fat to hunt? topic. Will be fine but Doc says 6 months time to recover & get all my systems up & running. Still working out but much less strenuously. Sucks, but he told me if I over do it I won't be hunting at all. Keep going guys!!!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
As a Montanan who chases the elk every year I try really hard to get my legs and core stronger. Doing so usually helps my cardio anyways. I do high intensity stair workouts once a week(any more and you risk injury) and I play basketball all winter for the endurance aspect of the sport. Come summer I am hiking into my spots to scout for the season. The season is getting so close I can almost smell it!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Started P90X and also training for a triathlon...tic toc. 55 days and counting   :archer2:
Mike Davenport

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
ttt
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
It's 95 here today in IL...so I ran 2 miles and swam a 1000 meters to test my fitness over lunch. We have a sprint triathlon in a very warm N. Alabama in 3 weeks. Chasin' elk and mulies in 40 days  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Fish Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: July 21, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Here's a tip for low landers who will be hikng high in the mountains.

When you train or exercise try breathing through a straw only...it will simulate the amount of air you will get up there. If will train your lungs, blood, and body to be more efficiant (sp?) And make it that much easier.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Ive been away from Trad Gang for months(thats hard to do trust me), but im getting ready for a CO Wilderness Area elk hunt and have been for close to 6 months! Itll be my first excursion, and im a workout guru anyway, but lets just say it gets intense when overall physical conditioning is the cornerstone of a productive and enjoyable hunt! Ive started running 2mi each morning before work, and eating the same foods "Roughly" that i will be on our 10 day hunt! Im 6' 1" and 184lbs now, when i really kicked it in the butt back in February i was closer to 205lbs! Id say that the longer drawn out approach to the conditioning has worked out well for me, its a 10 day hunt that you train 200 days for...well at least in my mind! ive even bumped up my personal limit of 25yds to 30yds due to the shooting ive been doing!!!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I am having ACL surgery the 29th of July, no elk hunting for me and the timing really is for me to be elk hunting in 2012

I just came out of RMNP and these two great bulls got me thinking of 2012 already. A couple of pictures to water your mouths a bit and get you even MORE excited for these next weeks ahead. Good luck everyone

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
No elk hunt for me this year but started running again last night. WOW i'm outta shape. But by time I head west, whenever that is...., I should be in better shape to handle it. Great looking pics!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Time's getting close boys!  How ya doing?

Completed my first sprint triathlon last weekend.  Tapering the swim/ride/run and focusing more on hiking & shooting.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline NYStickhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Great Thread!

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Hey Guys, its been a long time since i have written.  

You guys keep up the workouts.  

Priority at this point should be cardio and shooting.  

Hope you guys were able to continue your workout through the heat of the summer.  Hydrate - Hydrate - Hydrate

Dont forget to take about 5 days off before your trip.  Its time to heal up well and be rested for the hunt.

Looks like i wont get to hunt much this year either as i will be deployed most of the year.  Either way, i am continuing my workouts with an emphasis on cardio.  

Good Luck to everyone.  Its almost time.  Now go out and earn that Bull, you worked hard all spring and summer.  

Keep us posted on your hunts and the preparation.  

Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
I got 'er done using advice from this thread.  Thanks guys.  I'm 32 pounds lighter this season!
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Hey Zog,
What's yer challenge?
homebru

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Hey Everyone, i just saw this come to the top.  

I hope you guys are staying in shape.  Only 6 ish months to go.  

ZOG, i want to hear about what you did, way to go loosing that weight.  I hope you are well and please let us know if you put it to use on a hunt.  

I for one have been working to darn hard for this past year and haven't hunted but one day.  But i am looking for something to do this Spring (maybe a spring bear hunt)  or this fall, prior to another deployment.  

You all keep this going.  Let me know if you need any help.  You all are certainly keeping me motivated with your stories.  

Thanks, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I may be wrong (if so I humbly apologize)  but I think it was Berry that said,  "What do you mean I'm not in shape... round is a shape."
Great thread and timely only  5 months, 3 weeks and  6 days.  Start now....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »
Homebru and Jack - my challenge is healthy eating.  I think I've got exercise down fairly well.  Not great, but OK.  But it don't do no good when I eat junk.

After a fair amount of reading and helping a daughter with a very bad autoimmune disease, listening to all the doctors and nutritionists, I am very much bought into more natural eating and adding as many micronutrients as I can.

I am doing three weeks as a vegan.

The main thing I have figured out for myself is to think of what I ADD to my diet, not to focus on what to subtract.  If I add food rich in nutrients, removing bad foods is easy.

I found that hunger is usually not really hunger, it is appetite.  If you don't get enough colorful veggies, rich leafy greens, beans, colorful fruits, tree nuts, etc. your body is hungry.  If you try to satisfy hunger with low-nutrient foods like potatoes and breads, you just crave more of them because you're not getting enough nutrition.

I stopped making eggs, bacon and cakes in the morning; now I have a vegan smoothie just like a hippie(that was hard to admit) every morning and I do not get hungry and I feel much better.  No soy, no eggs, no wheat, no corn, no added sugars, no grains, no dairy.

After three weeks, I will become vegan-plus . . . . vegan plus meat!   Lean meats, wild meats, birds, fish, etc.  After all, I am a hunter.  My daughter loves the term vegan-plus.

Also I avoid as much man-made stuff as I can.  No diet sodas, try to go for organic meats that didn't grow up on chemically raised crops with pesticides, no farm raised grains, etc.  I can't do so 100%, but I do try.

My challenge is sticking with this, as I travel a lot, and like the rest of us I shop in grocery stores filled with bad stuff and am surrounded by fast food joints.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Jack & Zog-

Damn You & Thank You, both, for starting this thread and continuing it. I just sat down of the couch, Guinness in hand, and flipped on a hunting show about elk (wheelie bows, but that's what's on).  I then logged on to tradgang during commercials.  Damn you, damn you, damn you!!!

OK . . I am 50, new to trad (yet to kill my first trad anything), and dreaming of elk. I live on the East Coast and have never hunted out West.  Bought an Eberlestock Blue Widow this year with dreams of making a trip out West this Fall.  Of course, Congress has decided that my fellow federal employees and I may need a furlough, so 2013 is out.

That said, I still want to make that trip while I'm young enough.  I also feel that the benefits of getting back in shape go far beyond the hunting rationale, as you mentioned.  Besides, it may take me an extra year to get where I need to be...

So . . Thank you and damn you.....I guess I get back at it tomorrow.

Kingsnake

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Kingsnake, i will take any cursing you can dish out as long as u stay strong and healthy and  use it in your trad adventures.  

I too am 50 and i live in Northern Virginia.    Although i spend a lot of time away.  

My passion the outdoors and love back country hunts.  i keep saying i need to get back out west before i get to mold also,  but then again, i am an 18 yr old trapped in a 50m year old body.

Keep this going everyone.  

Last night i did Kettlebell 300,  abs and stretched.   Through out this month i have been doing two a day workout.  Cardio in the am and resistance at night.  

Stay Fit you all.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©