3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13952 times)

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Motivation......I train at a powerlifting gym in Denver.  At this same gym is a gentlemen that has made the world USAPL powerlifting team for the bench press in the CZech Republic this year.  This individual is going to be 78 years old this year.  In the three years that I have trained at this gym I have only seen this guy miss three days.  He recently had a golf ball sized piece of cancer removed from his hand.  The doctor told him no lifting for at least two weeks.  He was in the gym the next day, and ended up blowing out a few stitches, that did not phase him in the least.  This individual broke his back jumping out of helicopter in Vietnam, and has still competed in multiple powerlifting events and has also run in 14+ marathons.  If someone like this can do it at his age, anyone can do it. I am very thankful to be able to train with someone like this.  Stay motivated and train hard.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Zog,

"I found that hunger is usually not really hunger, it is appetite. If you don't get enough colorful veggies, rich leafy greens, beans, colorful fruits, tree nuts, etc. your body is hungry. If you try to satisfy hunger with low-nutrient foods like potatoes and breads, you just crave more of them because you're not getting enough nutrition."

It's called toxic addiction, and you have explained it very well. Sounds like your on the right road. The only thing you have to watch out for is how much animal protein you eat each week. I know most people won't like this, but the amount is surprisingly very small.

I am 63 and going to try my best to do an elk hunt this coming season, I have started to workout ( with Kettlebells ) for the last few weeks and will start more cardio shortly, see if I can get this body in shape before Sept. I will be camping and hiking a lot this season in preparation for the hunt.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
njloco-

We met at BBTC last year, and I know you "walk the talk."  I promise to NOT throw my bow on the ground after a series of bad shots this year.

(I may still make a series of bad shots . . .I'm just promising not to throw my bow  . . . )    :biglaugh:  

Kingsnake

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
njloco-

We met at BBTC last year, and I know you "walk the talk."  I promise to NOT throw my bow on the ground after a series of bad shots this year.

(I may still make a series of bad shots . . .I'm just promising not to throw my bow  . . . )    :biglaugh:  

Kingsnake

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Jack.  You got the right idea.  Good luck with your program!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Kingsnake - the fact that you have to be in shape to hunt elk is exactly why I like it!  I mean, I love to slay and eat elk by itself, but if it was easy it wouldn't interest me.

And it goes the other way - there isn't much motivation to be in shape if not for elk hunting.  Vanity just doesn't motivate this 54 year old.  I couldn't care any less how I look - I'm hopeless anyway.  But getting up there with the elk - now THAT'S worth some sacrifice!!
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I've been lifting 3-4 days a week and just got off the treadmill this last week and got to do several 4 mile runs outside with good elevation rise and fall.  I got a special treat this last weekend and got too run with Cameron Hands in Las Vegas.  This man is a great inspiration and knows how to push himself like no other. Although not a trad shooter he is a great guy.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Cameron Hanes  that is.  Stupid tablet.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Yes Kingsnake, It would get expensive throwing bows, though sometimes I feel like throwing mine, but then I don't want to sin, besides I am sure, that sometimes my bow feels like throwing me. I must apologize, because I don't remember the incident. Hopefully we will see each other there again.

As far as the food goes, I try my best, but I must admit to falling down every now and then.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Is any one getting ELK FIT?

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Not getting Elk fit, as I won't be hunting elk this year, but trying to stay in as good of shape as I can.  I play hockey every week, and try to get in at least two other sessions of cardio every week - can be tough to fit into a busy schedule however.

I HAVE to have something to motivate me to get me going - one idea is to plan a 5K, half marathon, etc. to push yourself out of a rut or out of a plateau.  Two weeks ago I just finished my second "Tough Mudder" obstacle course, and having promised that I would "retire" from them after this one, I'm already planning a third, as I need a motivating factor to push further.

Having ballooned up to 217 then trimming down to 185, I've slowly crept back up to 195, but partially due to more intense weight training.

At 37, I feel I can still do everything I could when I was 18, I just pay for it a lot more and the recovery just takes longer.   :)
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
I try to stay 'elk fit' year round, because at the tender age that I find myself, it is much harder to get back in shape if you let yourself go.
Lifting is secondary to aerobics for me; I have an in home machine that I use, but mainly it is pushups and pullups for strength. Hiking and mountain biking are my choices for aerobics, doing hills as much as possible, sometimes with a pack. At this time of year, I am snowbirding, and yesterday I took a 14 mile hike in the desert, with temps in the 90's toward the end of the hike. I was fried, but it was a good kind of tired when I crawled in the truck.
I try to hike 5 to 6 miles 4 to 5 times a week, with mountain bike rides on the other days (usually about an hour, but a hard hour) and giving myself one rest day a week.
When I go home, I will be hiking/biking at elevation, and trying to do at least one hard workout a week. Yes, I am an advocate of 'no pain, no gain'.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I wish to Elk hunt someday. I have made the commitment to get and hope to stay in shape. Have changed wakeup time a hour so I am sure to get in my workout first thing. Everything latter is extra. LONG ways to go but I have started.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Not elk huning, but planning 50 mile or 100 mile ultra trail run in sept.

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
It doe not look like any elk hunting  for me this year. Have had a knee injury since last March. One surgery down. Looks like another in September.

Offline Morpheus32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
A great and timely thread. My two sons 14 and 17 sent me an email and asked if we can do some backcountry camping and hunting this year. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan. Given the lifestyle over here, I have been fortunate to loose weight and keep it off. I would like to pass on some tips to help. I never had a problem with weight, never had a problem with PT but was bigger than I would have liked. So far I have lost almost 50lbs.

My 2 cents as follows:

You need to count calories. You loose weight by burning more calories than you take in. That is the basic rule. When you work out, you burn calories and create the deficit. The problem of course is the fine cusine we have in North America. In one day you can consume a weeks worth of calories if you don't pay attention. So you principally need to have a deficit diet with exercise ensuring that you have a deficit. If you just "do it" and don't keep track, one fast food frenzy could wipe out all your benefit of a weeks worth of exercise and diet.

Tools to help you do it:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

This is a calculator that lets you figure out what your maintenance level is...which is the amount of calories you need doing your basic activites. At this level you will neither gain nor lose weight. Once you figure out your maintenance, then create a deficit and do so gradually. No more than say 20% of your maintenance. The calculator will show you a 500 and 1000K deficit. As noted on the website, unless you have significant body fat, you don't need to go to extremes with the 1000K deficit.

OK, so now you know how many calories you need to be eating....how do you track what you are eating.

www.myfitnesspal.com

This website allows you to track your meals and figure out not only the calories but how much protein, fat and carbs. The database is huge and you can find just about anything in there. If need be, you can add the data from the label if the database does not have it. All the fast food in North America is at your finger tips!

With this information, you need to make sure you are getting the right nutrition, not just the calories. Figure out how much body fat you have in big....err fat numbers.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/bod...calculator.htm

Not exact but close enough for government work. Now I worry about making sure I get the correct amount of micro nutrients by grams to lean body mass (LBM) not a percentage as my fitness pal likes to use. My numbers look like:

Protein - 1.25 to 1.5 grams per lb of lean body mass
Fat (good fat) - 0.4 grams per lb of lean body mass
Carbs - the remainder of my calories but usually working out to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass

So I set my calorie goal for a deficit, make sure I get enough Protein and Fats, but essentially eat whatever fits within these numbers. If I know that I am going to have pizza on Thursday, I plan ahead with that meal and make sure the rest of my food fits the numbers. I can eat whatever I want. I have pizza, cake, burgers, fries. You just have to balance the equation so to speak. In the pizza night example, my lunch will be salad but so be it. I track everything and after a while, I do it the night before and it takes minutes. Here in the camp in Afghanistan, I supplement with protein shakes from BSN. It helps me make sure I hit my protein numbers given the difficulty of decent meat in the DFAC.

The result is I loose weight and coupled with good, regular PT, have placed me in the same shape I was when I was a paratrooper in my youth. I weigh now the same as when I joined the army at 17.

Remember, you need to log what you eat and plan ahead. Just like back country bowhunting, failing to plan is planning to fail. I have lost 50lbs and feel fantastic. I have more energy and strength that I have not felt in a long time. It makes a huge difference. Note that myfitnesspal can be loaded onto a smart phone. It is a great tool and a lifestyle changer.

I hope this helps in some way. I am looking forward to coming home and getting ready with my boys.

Keep safe and good hunting.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »
Some websites that can help on the fitness routines:

www.t-nation.com

www.sealfit.com

www.crossfit.com

www.bodybuilding.com
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Thanks Morpheus and Duncan - great posts!

I am heavy into it now.  My challenge is 200 lbs, down from my 235 in January.  Now at 218.

Then I can carry a 35lb pack for a net zero!!

All of the good fitness advice says go for a certain % body fat, but it is difficult for me to measure, so I am just going for a weight goal and being sure to keep the muscle exercises up.

I hit 55yrs old last week.

Every morning I do 20 Turkish Get-Ups (10 per side) with 20 lbs.  I can also do them in my hotel room using my suitcase as a weight.  I saw some website that said this is the most effective everyday exercise one can do, especially for my age and to prevent old man injuries like back strains and stuff.  Boy do they work!

Here's a great Turkish Get-Up . . .

I am hoping to work up to doing get-ups while holding my 130 lb wife, but I think I will have to wait until she loses 100 lbs!!!

The other most-effective every morning exercise is a complicated burpee (one with variations like push-ups and tee-ups  mixed in).  I will be alternating those in every other day with the get-ups.

Being an athlete in my younger days I used to pass off such simple calisthenics as useless body movement. I suppose if I was still competing, they would be.  But for me they are doing wonders.

The get-ups and burpees are just the minimum, like having breakfast every day.  Then 4 days/week I also do a more thorough interval workout, or 50lb 4 mile backpack hike, or a 20 mile mtn bike ride.

But the simple minimum get-ups or burpees every morning and evening are critical.

My son is helping - I have to send him an email every day saying what I did for exercise and if I cheated and ate donuts or something.  It helps a lot.

The elk are also exercising every day. They probably don't need to send emails, though.  The wolves keep them moving.

Only 107 days to go!
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Hey Guys, it has been way to long since we have had this thread on the main page.  its never to late to continue fitness.

i myself have had a lot going on in the last year.  broke my dominant hands thumb,  medivaced out of a very far away place, casted and rehab, and am back on the mend.

Not to mention i am getting old.  LOL

Keep exercising, stay fit.  Elk season is just around the corner.  

i will have lots of challenges this year.  am spending another year away from family deployed in a far away land.  i will stay fit, i have brought a Stalker recurve to shoot.  i will eat properly and get the proper amount of rest.  

Goodness, i sound like i am lecturing.  Sorry

You all keep in touch.  keep moving, no matter what.  I see MUDD is riding his bike every day.  way to go MUDD.  

i keep you in my mind as an inspiration.  

Stay Strong, Stay Elk Fit  >>>>.-----JG-------->>
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Yep. Down 12 pounds in the last month or so. Funny how avoiding processed foods and grain make such an impact. Wish beer and whiskey weren't made from grain and full of sugar.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©