3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13984 times)

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
I'm in. Story is similar to Autumn Archer's, except I carry an additional 100#. Started training for last year's elk hunt at 296#. Made it down to 265 to begin the hunt and actually did alright physically during my 18 day backpack adventure. Don't get me wrong - I left a lot of room for improvement.

That brings me to this year's challenge. I'm 5'11" and weighed in @ 272 this morning. Longterm goal is 200, but I would like to make it to 225 before hitting the trail head this Sept. Lofty goal, but I think attainable.

Also doing pretty much a paleo diet with very little highly processed foods. I'm not giving up coffee though.

Joined a 24 hr gym so I can vary my cardio workouts and have no excuses during bad weather. Also will hit a few target areas with the weights. But the bulk of my workout regimen will be hiking & running with the pack on. I did this on local trails last year along with doing stadiums at my son's HS football field. I would vary the workout by alternating running the bleachers with running the track. I also did sprint intervals with my pack, boots and hunting clothes....got more than a few weird looks.

Hitting a 5 mi loop trail at a nearby park for the first time in the morning with just a 25# pack. I will push myself hard to establish a completion time and work throughout the spring & summer to constantly better my times AND add pack weight. There is only 250' of rise/fall on this loop, but from the trail reviews i've seen there are no flat spots. So constant up & down should provide me with a solid workout.

I've also identified a very steep, 1/2 mile section of road near the city (Pittsburgh) that reminds me of a particular trail that kicked my butt a couple times last year in CO. I WILL have this road subdued by the end of July and the CO trail will be child's play this season.

Thanks for getting this started Jack! And best of luck to everyone in making and keeping their commitments to be as fit as possible for this year's elk hunt.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
You guys are awesome.  Thanks for sharing the stories and ideas.  

I have so much to say but i am just back from the days workout.

Saturdays Elk-Fit Challenge.   Distance Run and or Hike

I do this portion on Saturday or Sunday.  Its the days i do long runs.  Seems to work best for a normal Monday through Friday work routine.   Adjust accordingly to your schedule.    Today is is 93 degrees where i am so the run was 4.8 mils.  I am not a runner so it was a tough one.  Stretch before and after and remember to hydrate during the routine.  After the run, drink a home made recovery drink.  My favorite is a smoothie made with Orange juice, banana, strawberries, spinach and carrots.  You can add protein powder if you are in need and oatmeal to smooth it out.  If you like your smoothies really cold, add some ice.   I know, i know, spinach you say.  Yep, give it a try.

Ok, here is another twist to todays workout.  I like to shoot my bow before and after the run.  I shoot a quiver full of arrows before the run and typically only one after.  My rational is that i want to push myself to make that one shot count at the end of a stressful and tiring workout.  

For those of you who are not in shape, go for a long walk with your family.  Walk around the block, go to a local park, or walk the track at your local high school.  Carry a small backpack with some water and a healthy snack.  

No excuses....get out and exercise.  Elk season is 161 days away.  
Give or take.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Smoothies for Optimum Health by Kevin Gianni.  There is a Smoothie for everyone or everything in this book.

My crave-control snack is a cored and quartered apple with peanut butter.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Great thread Jack!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Jack I'd like to hear about your shoulder routine?

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm very interested in this thread. I'm not in bad shape, but I'm not in great shape either. I know one thing I'm tired of feeling like crap. I'm like Autumnarcher, I eat all this junk food and feel like I've swallowed a watermellon. Post up some diet's and workout routine's for all us feller's that need a little help.

Thank's Jason

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Just wrapped up your weekend challenge with a 5 mile trail run.  Got to take Delaney on her first turkey hunt this morning and she had a ball.  Life is good today!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
Covey, I highly recommend The Diet Solution program. Not overly difficult once to get a feel for it. It will get you going in the right direction of clean eating.  www.thedietsolutionprogram.com.  Not sure if they still do it the same, mine came in an e-book format, of about 10 .pdf files.

Its a strightforward pile of info on healthy eating, and makes you really start paying attention to what you're eating.

Following this type of eating regimen will insure you lose excess weight, cut the crud out ofyour diet and motivate you. Its not a gimmick diet. I feel 100% better, and my energy levels are greatly improved through a clean diet and moderate exercise.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
AA, Link is no good bud...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Hey Guys, i had a few minutes and thought i would comment about those that would like some direction on their eating.  This is especially for folks who are having a hard time.

Covey, I got your back brother.   Take a look at the ideas below.  

Here is a real simple way to look at your food intake.

- Eat lean meats;  beef, chicken, pork, venison, waterfowl
          (without the skin), etc.
    - Eat all the vegetables, fruits and nuts you want.
    - Stay away from processed foods.
    - Don't eat anything fried.
    - Drink all the water you want.  

Sounds simple doesn't it.  It can be.  So, some of you are saying "Heck, thats easy"  or "tell me something i don't know"...might even be thinking "this guy is a fruit cake".

Give this "diet" a try.  You can get much more direction from a couple of books called "The Paleo Diet"  and "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" .  There are two other books in the series but i have not read them.  

Dont over think your diet and exercise routine at first.  It can become so overwhelming that you will shut down and not exercise and will eat poorly.  It still happens to me.  

Keep your goals in mind when you eat and exercise.  I want to make it out west this fall.  Hunt Elk on their turf.  Carry everything i need into the mountains and carry everything, including my skinny little butt, out of the mountains for an enjoyable experience.  

Again, to end on a positive note.  You guys are putting a lot into this and i thank you.

Time to Shoot my bow.  One quiver full.  Make all of them count.

Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
this is a great thread!! I need this kind of motivation to get back in shape!! I have been in nursing school for 3 years and I am getting fatter by the day.  I am putting myself at risk for many diseases and I should know better.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
This will be my workout schedule for Mon, Tue, Wed taken straight from crossfit.com  Like Jack, I'm small so I have to scale some times.  Looking at the list below, I'll probably have to bring the 135lb overhead squats down to 95lbs.  Other than that, I should be good.
Most day's eating routine is a few eggs, an apple and peanut butter for breakfast.  Nuts for mid morning snack.  Grilled chicken with some veggies or salad for lunch.  Maybe raw coconut for mid afternoon snack.  One light brewski pre dinner (hey, I'm human) and any kind of meat and veggie combo Momma might be cooking for dinner.  Try to mix the foods up to get a wide range of nutrients.  Stay with natural whole foods when you can and minimize carb intake.  Our ancestors lived on protien and fat, not carbs.

Monday
Five rounds for time of:
15 Medicine ball cleans, 20 pound ball
15 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball

Tuesday
21-15-9 reps of:
225 pound Deadlift
135 pound Overhead squat
record time to finish

Wednesday
Run 1 mile
155 pound Clean and jerk, 21 reps
Run 800 meters
155 pound Clean and jerk, 21 reps
Run 1 Mile
record time to finish

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Some quick thoughts....

Don't think in terms of cardio and weights.  Think in terms of the ability to do work.  The more work you can get done in a given amount of time, the more fit you are.  Stay away from the machines and move weight around.  Move more weight in shorter amounts of time and you are becoming more fit.  Measure your performance and constantly strive for slight improvements.  Over the period of months, you will amaze yourself with your progress if you are eating right and losing body fat too.  Train like a decathlete and scale the intensity level to your current level of fitness.  Like traditional bowhunting, eating and working out don't need to be reinvented.

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I agree with Duckbutt - Paleo diet and  www.crossfit.com.  I'm  52, 6' 200 lbs.  I was 210 a year ago, got down to 193.  The hardest part is the paleo/zone diet.  See  www.crossfitbrandx.com  for scaled workouts.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
As I read the various posts, I can't help but notice we're not the youngest group, and because of that some of us need to recognize our limitations, and avoid possible injury.  You can't hunt Elk or anything else if you can't walk.

I'm not saying you can't be fit, but some regimens may not be suitable due to our age and the obstacles that come with age, such as arthritis.

I'm 48 and have spent the last 27 years of those 48 years on active duty in the Army.  So, you could say fitness has been a regular part of my life, and as a 48 year old I'm facing some difficulties in maintaining a high fitness level.  So here goes my two cents, take it for what it is worth, and remember you get what you pay for.  

This challenge really started back in 2008 when I was diagnosed with stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma.  After undergoing 8 months of chemotherapy I knew that the idea of doing 500 lb squats and deadlifts, and 250 lb military presses were a thing of the past.  The arthritis that I held dealt with previously now was a daily obstacle, and my body was a mess, also known as a bowl of jello, from the chemo.  

So what did I do?  I have slowly worked my way back, but still have a long way to go.  

With the limitations presented by the arthritis, and other lingering effects of chemo.  I walk and do hike with a pack, but limit weight and never run with a pack. (For those who do, more power to you, but the impact your knees are enduring is immense, be careful.)  

Weightlifting is a regular part of my regimen.  Usually a simple circuit of standing presses followed immediately by pull-ups for a set with short rests until completing five sets.  Builds the muscles involved in shooting.  Additional word on weightlifting, get off the bench, lifting on your feet has the additional benefit of building your core, and makes your body more functional.  Of course this may mean lighter weights, and a dedication to form.  Sounds like good practice for shooting, doesn't it?  

Also, I regularly hit the kettlebells, simple swings will challenge you aerobically (cardio) without the impact of running or even carrying a weighted pack.  Additionally, the sledgehammer gets regular use on an old stump in the back yard.  Great workout and a great stress reliever.  You can use a tire instead of a stump, but the stump didn't cost me a thing.

Sorry about the long post, but I've seen some ideas from others that I can use, and I was hoping someone could draw an idea or two from my experience.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Great thread and thanks to all for contributing.

What is the best way you have found to add weight to your backpack for running? Seems like just tossing a dumb bell in the pack would not work so well....what do you do?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Ive started tacfit commando, google it its an amazing challenge and workout anyone can benefit from.
-just add effort.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
bartcanoe brings up a great point - one needs to be honest with themselves and "start where you are". Properly assess your current level of health & fitness and move forward wisely. An injury caused by over-reaching abilities may sideline you for this elk season. Then you'll be forced to live vicariously through the rest of us as we post threads showing off our 6 X 6's. Be careful.

Now that being said, I really enjoy running with my pack. I try to use a gait that doesn't pound my knees and I'm very careful to not let the weight of the pack throw me around. IMO the secret to running with a pack is to keep it super tight to your back and make sure there is no shifting of the contents.

jcar, to answer your question specifically, I will use 10, 15 & 20# dumbells, but wrap them in towels, sweaters, jackets, etc. to limit their ability to shift inside the pack. I also utilize all the compression straps as well as sometimes using cord to wrap around the pack's main compartment a couple times. (pulling it snug, of course)

My 5 mi loop this morning turned into a 15 miler. I had read some bad info and discovered my mistake early enough to make a route change. Ended up doing 3-1/2 miles very fast with some great elevation changes. Did no running today, but powered up the hills as fast as I could without running. Stuck with all natural and whole foods throughout the day. Ready for a few hours sleep and another trail assault early in the A.M.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:00 AM »
Paleo is a good way to go too. Im heading in that direction, Im using the DSP to get rid of most of the stuff we shouldnt be eating. Afterwards, it basically goes on to the Paleo by eliminating grains and dairy, and fe other things.

Hears another shot at the DSP link   http://www.thedietsolutionprogram.com

A book Im reading right now that was recommended to me is The PRimal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. One of the most enlightening books I've ever read. It has me totally rethinking my food and exercise programs. If a strict Paleo diet isnt for you,the DSP program is a good choice.

What we choose to fuel our body with is a choice. All I can say is I know how much better I feel when I carefuly choose what I eat.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 04:49:00 AM »
Hey Guys, by the time you read this it will be sunday for everyone.

Today i rest when i am home.  Well, actually my rest day consists of stretching and doing the lawn.  One of my favorite stretching routines is from P90X.  Basically involves standard stretching and yoga.  

When i do the lawn i tend to carry a pack on my back.  Recently read "One with the Wilderness" by Mike Mitten (excellent book by the way).  He does the same thing.  I carry a lighter pack when i mow since its my day off.  

This is also the day i shoot a lot.  Tweeking my bow, arrows, broadheads, etc.   I like to fiddle with my gear.... so sunday is my day for that.   I also use sunday to research on the internet.  Mostly new exercises to add to my routine.  

Everyone has been adding to the thread and its been great.  Some have asked what workouts i do.  I get a lot of my workout stuff from p90X, Crossfit, Martial Arts, Kettlebell work outs ( one of my favorite is the Kettlebell 300.  A 25 kettlebell and 300 reputitions of 18 exercises and i am spent.  Only takes about 25 minutes).    I also like this MovNat by Erwan Le Corre.  There is limited info on the net about MovNat but check out their youtube video.  

When i can, i copy MovNats terrane wooded runs and incorporate stump shooting into it.  Yep, now i have gone and crossed the deep end. Picture this, me in a pair of running short, running shoes, a sleeveless running shirt, a runners fanny pack with a snack and water and my favorite bow in hand.  I run wooded trails till i get my heart rate elevated and then stop and stump shoot, run up, grab the stumpin arrow and take off running again.  Wooo Hoo, talk about a primal workout.  

You guys enjoy your day off.  Stretch well.  Monday is gonna be a shoulder day.  Perfect for the Trad Bowhunter.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©