3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13950 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
I am back at it too Jack! Thanks for bringing it back up. I have a moose hunt in BC and need to drop 20...time to re-focus  :)

I am riding 35 minutes every other day, walking/running 3 miles or 40 minutes every other day, and swimming every Friday. I have a triathlon in August and this is just the beginning of what I hope is a great summer of pain to get ready for a very physical hunt.

Good luck everyone! Train hard!
Mike Davenport

Offline day_stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
I'm starting to try to get into good shape.  I am not planing on elk hunting till 2015.  And my advise is only to a select few.  But it is important.  I just did it and i am on too of the world.  QUIT SMOKING.  After 15 years of smoking just a couple of weeks without and i feel like a new man.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Good to hear from you Jack ... just got off my bike from a 2 hr ride in the desert, spending some winter time in sunny AZ makes keeping in shape a whole bunch easier. Getting ready for my second ankle replacement, had the left one done last summer and doing the right one in May so I'm keeping the legs in shape for the long recovery. I plan on being in the elk woods come Sept ... stay safe
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
oops ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
I do my best to stay in shape year around, but recently got a new toy that gives me some feedback about my hiking workouts. It is a Fitbit, a little gizmo that clips to my pants pocket, and is like a pedometer on steroids. It measures steps, miles, 'floors' (each 10 feet of ascent is a floor), and links with my computer to log data into a web page. You can also use it to log food eaten, sleep, bp and heartrate, etc. Unfortuneately, it doesn't work with bicycling, but it seems very accurate with hiking/jogging. Just another option if you want to log your workouts, and somewhat of a motivator, too.
I, too, am spending time in the warmth of the Sonoran desert in the winter, and getting in 6 to 7 mile hikes just about every day. Sure beats shoveling snow.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: March 16, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
It sounds like you are doing some really hard and effective work. About the only thing I would stress is the need to do plenty of stretching.
Sam

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2014, 03:37:00 AM »
I ran a marathon last month to check off a bucket list item since I turned 40 this year.  I do some form of cross training almost daily and can't imagine not being in shape again.  I'll eventually lose the ability to hunt but to lose it prematurely because I didn't take care of myself isn't something I'm willing to accept.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Time to bring this one back.....!

Let's go .... time to get out and burn off those holiday calories.....no time like the present....!!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Already started !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
It is really refreshing to see such a great group of guys who are passionate about exercise and nutrition. I myself graduated in 2011 with a bachelors in exercise science and I am now in medical school. My passion lies in helping others, but nutrition is my real passion. I am a nutrition counselor and I would much rather nip a health condition in the bud with nutrition than patch it with a medication. It is amazing what our country allows into our food system and I am here to make an impact. Kudos to you all for getting ready for Elk season, but primarily for benefiting your health long term. Maybe one day I will be able to make it out on a backcountry elk hunt like the rest of you!

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Ill turn 60 yrs old in March and have started a new life approach to getting hunting fit. For the older guys hunting fit is relative to your injury/disability list of ailments I think. I have been really fortunate in that with having 3 ruptured Lumbar discs and both rotator cuffs and bicep tendon repaired I can say Im pain free as I have been in 20 yrs. I recently found myself at 245 lbs at 5'11" and felt heavy and out of breath. I have started the Atkins diet and will phase out to the more Paleo version as time goes on. Joined the YMCA to get winter activity levels up. I have lost 16lbs as of this morning and I can feel myself becoming more en more fit and that in itself is a great motivator. Got a hog hunt coming up in April in Texas and this ol boy is gonna try and give em the business.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©