3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
The only person that's ultimately responsible for what you put in your body, and your health, is you. Take control.

Two other 'diets'/books that will get your eating headed in the right direction and educate you about the food you've been eating are The Ultra Metabolism Book, and The 17 Day Diet book.

They're very similar. My buddy followed one, I followed the other, we were both right around 275 pounds and now I'm 210 and he's 214. We shed 2-3 pounds a week like clockwork... sometimes 4.

Now we're both going Paleo.

I've read The Paleo Diet, The Paleo Diet for Atheletes, The Paleo Solution, The Paleo Diet Cookbook, and just ordered The Primal Blueprint.

If you do so, be prepared to have your eyes opened about what you've been doing to your body with the food you've been eating. You'll never look at a morsel of food the same again.

Eat well.

Offline Karl Kortemeier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
Great thread.  Here are some of my thoughts:  about ten years ago I was diagnosed with reumatoid arthritis  :mad:  .  It got so bad that I was unable to walk for about a year.  To make a long story short I thought my hunting/fishing/outdoor days were over.  Slowly, with diet and medicine my flare ups got under control.  I slowly started going to the gym.  Before the arthritis, I was a runner and had just started doing a few triathalons. It was a very frustrating time of my life. The arthritis is now under control, but I am not able to run.  I am 44, and I make it to the gym almost everyday.  I take spinning classes and body pump classes at the local YMCA. These classes are great for me because spinning is very intense and it is also very low impact.  The body pump works my muscles with high reps, but doesn't overdo my joints.  I take my son out in the woods.  He is three, and I throw him in a backpack for walks in the woods.  My reumatoid arthritis is now under control. I am convinced it is a combination of attitude, good diet, and intense workouts. I try not to get too preoccupied with a workout regimen or strict diet.  This is just something I have to do.  I do cut loose every once in a while!  I love beer and chicken wings.  All things in moderation as they say.  My motivation is to keep in shape for hunting season, and it has paid off for me with more succesful hunts and better health. I think the secret is to try and do something everyday, even if it is just a 15 minute walk around the block.  Thanks again for the great thread and sorry if this is a rambling message.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
For those who are interested, an article was posted today on  www.tmuscle.com  about the Paleo Diet. On this same website, an article about shoulder health/ routine was posted about 2 weeks ago. It is an excellent routine and works the shoulder SAFELY. I have been using the program and it is good, both simple and direct. There is a youtube clip attached to the article. Sorry, I dont have the link to post  

Remember, it is important to take in a LIMITED amount of carbs for training, or, you will quickly run out of fuel to train. A good choice is sweet potatoes and natural brown rice.

www.bodybuilding.com  has thousands of articles on fitness for research.  

Google "caveman training" from the API training facility. My small team has been doing this at least one day a week for the past year. Funny, some of the stuff we train with now, was "manuel labor" fifty years ago, especially the sledge hammer drills. Just some thoughts.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Funny, Sunday is a day I train a little harder. I crank up the ipod, and get right after it. I dont do long workouts, but theyre intense( for me) and get more so each week. Im feelin the effects for sure, in a good way.

Todays work- 5 minute brisk walk warmup, then light full body stretching. Max pushups, feet elevated,max hindu squats, neck bridge( google Matt furey Combat conditioning. This routine is called the Royal Court) Max crunches. Max Burpees. I do 2 sets of this, no breaks.

Then I do 3 sets of leg presses,leg curls, and dumbbell squats. No rest between. I shoot for 15 reps first set, increase weight to 8-12 reps for rnd 2, and bump it up again for 8 max reps till failure for last round.

Throw my 50# backpack on, back to the treadmill. Pyramids- start at 8% grade, 3 mph pace. Every minute increase elevation 2% till max out at 15%. Stay there for 10 minutes, then reverse. Takes about 20 minutes. I usually slow the pace at max elevation,keep it high enough I can feel my calves and thighs burn. Soon as I finish that, I dropped the pack and did HIIT sprints for 8 rnds. 30sec run,30-45 sec walk.

Soon as I finish that, another set of max pushups, hindu squats, back bridge, etc.

I love this workout. When I get the ok fromthe doc, I can resume some of my upper body stuff. Elbow needs rest/rehab. everything else is good to go.

Post workout I eat a banana, a piece of chicken breast or leftover grilled vension steak and down a bottle or two of water. when I get home, big salad and some raw veggies. And water.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
This is a great thread! It's just the motivation some of us need. I do alot of hiking, I love to hike and stump shoot. The place where I lack is the diet. I'm 6'2" and about 215#. That probably don't sound to bad, but after deer season is over there's about two month's of setting on my backside. I need to get back into shape, and this has got me thinking. Great info guy's, you are all a big help!!

Thank's Jason

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
OK as promised I started this A.M. an overall cardio strength and stretching routine.Man I didn't realize I got that far out of shape over the last year  "[dntthnk]"

I guess that makes today second one.day one.Thanks Jack I'm sure I'll be cussin you by weeks end.
Jeff Couture

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
OK guys...who has a plan and is working it this week?  I did the

Tuesday
21-15-9 reps of:
225 pound Deadlift
135 pound Overhead squat
record time to finish

as promised but scaled down to 185 for DLs and 95 or OS.  I weighed in at 159lbs and the workout took me 14:45.  No hiding, that is the work I was able to get done this morning.

I thought about another aspect of my approach that may be insightful for some of you.  I don't have a lot of time to spend working out.  I also want to improve on my functional fitness level for years to come in case I draw that goat tag when I'm 50.  Given that goal and constraint, I've really found the shorter, but higher intensity workouts to be the ticket.  

My family and work obligations begin at 7am.  Therefore, I'm up at 5:30, off to the gym, worked out, back by 6:30, quick breakfast, shower, shave and ready by 7am.  If working out took an hour or more, that would be a deal breaker for me.  The other benefits I've found is that the higher intensity shorter duration approach gets you fitter quicker than the longer workouts that are more targeted to specific muscle groups, cardio vs weights etc.

An example....
I run a half marathon every year for fun with family and friends. I'm not a runner and do very little running unless prescribed in my workout routine.  I usually start running a bit before this race to get acclimated and follow the traditional "x" miles per week build up to race day.  This year, I decided to log fewer miles but raise the intensity level.  I ran less than 10 miles per week for two months and never ran further than 8 miles leading to race day.  I shaved 12 minutes off of my best time ever and probably cut my total mileage in half.  

For what it's worth....

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Is is just me or is there an echo in here?....

Jumped on this beast this morning as scheduled and I'm starting to feel the last three days working on the body.

Wednesday
Run 1 mile
155 pound Clean and jerk, 21 reps
Run 800 meters
155 pound Clean and jerk, 21 reps
Run 1 Mile
record time to finish

It turns out that I couldn't handle 155 as easily as I'd hoped so I scaled it back to 5 reps and added a third round of Clean and Jerks.

Total time was 26 minutes and I was running late getting Delaney to school.

Alright, somebody tell me they got off the couch this week.  If you aren't in any kind of shape you could do a few rounds of brisk walking, maybe incline the treadmill a bit, and throw some rounds of dumbell swings or deadlift high pulls or something in.  Two keys, keep the intensity meter just short of cardiac arrest and throw weight around as to engage your big muscles.  Posterior chain, core, back and shoulders were all hit hard with the cleans.  The same kind of strain that a dead elk would likely put on the body in the backcountry.  Speaking of elk, I heard somebody just drew a good tag....echo...echo...echo...

Y'all have a good day.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I'm reading  you brother!    ARIZONA!!!!!!      Back on track today Julian!     goat Hunt at 50?     50 is the new 35.  your 're a scrappy Gamecock! Or College of the Arts!  155#  cleans 21 times ..... Heck you don't weigh a buck fifty five!     I am up and moving.....Back on your Radar! 265 and falling

My Buddy , Hogdancer is going to the land of enchantment!
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
"Alright, somebody tell me they got off the couch this week."

Wish I could tell you that. But, got hit with bronchitis hard on Sun, wanted to die Mon, felt like I did Tue. Couldn't move without coughing myself into the dry heaves and had intermittent fevers. Pretty weak.

Good news is I lost 5 lbs. Haven't eaten much. Think I'll ease back into the workouts with a long treadmill hike with backpack. If I can finish that, I'll add in some weights. Would like to just say "screw it" and push hard, but have a trip to Honduras coming this Sun and want to be able to enjoy it.

Way to keep this thing up top Duckbutt. I'm hoping to move toward more of a plan like you're doing. Will use some of your info when I get back from trip.

Joebuck, congrats on the AZ tag! Even more incentive to get ELK-FIT. Don't want be a little winded stop you from getting close to that big 350 6x6. I weighed in at 265 this morning as well. Want to be 225 by the time I hit the trailhead. How about you? Maybe we can do a little side bet to push each other harder.

Keep it up guys!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Hey guys, I'm with you.  Did the elliptical for 45 minutes (steep) followed by 1 mile on treadmill at the Y.  Went home and tried to do another mile roadwork.  Didn't make it.  Doing the elliptical/treadmill thing again tonight.  I'm down 13 lbs from Feb 25th with another 29 to go by end of July and maintain it for the Sept WY elk hunt.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Thanks for this thread. Tapping into it keeps me motivated to get in shape. I am close to 56 young now and 245#@ 5'10". Goal is to lose 35# by the end of August(1.5-2 pounds a week).

2 mile run
moderate weight lifting(form verses heavy weight)
Walking
Working in the woods, cutting brush, working ground with hand tools for food plots.(Old school).
Sold my riding mower bought a push mower.
Shoot bow often, mixing yardage with goal to be consistant out to 35 yards. I use a heavy bow for building/training muscles for Hunting weight.
Two months out from Hunting start doing Stairs.
Walking with weighted Pack.
One month out, practice shooting with hunting clothes, pack on, different positions, kneeling, sitting, up and down hill etc.
From my limited, 3 trips out West, I have found that getting in and out of your hunting spots is where the majority of fitness is going to come into play. Even if "still hunting" moving slow is the key to sucess.
Keep beer drinking to weekends. Eat Healthy.
Get outdoors!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Amazing how much "better" everything in life is when you feel good about yourself and your fitness level    :campfire:  [/QB][/QUOTE]

Well said. Not only do I feel better but I have more confidence when I am fit.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
A different motivational thought: Train hard, because it you don't, you are just prey to someone who does.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
Been lurking here. Hate to say it but not anywhere near your level. 5'10" 289#s. Not as bad as you'd think though. 19% body fat. I do a lot of lifting (heavy as possible) with upper & lower body alternating days. When the weather is good I bike ride a lot. Usually 15 miles a day as fast as I can& keep timing it to show progress. Weather should start getting better I hope. Biggest problem in bone on bone left knee from injury when I was 14. Still have my own knee but that will change at some point. My sports ortho has told me NO running! So of course I didn't listen to him last spring & was laid up for 6 months after running on it 8 mph on the treadmill. I love to run too. Going to the gym & walking on the tm drives me crazy. Bike riding is the ticket for me so will be happy soon. Need the encouragement from you guys. Hunting in Wy in October & lungs need to be in shape. My goal is to be under 250 by then & very doable. Keep after me guys. Love to work out but have to be careful. I don't want any long layoffs again. Btw i'm only 44 & used to be a very good athlete.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »
Hey Guys, you all have been great keeping this thread going and working your routines.  

Sorry I have been away on some business and have had some 16 hour days recently.  

Remember, Elk-Fit rule number 1 - Cardio, Cardio, Cardio.  

I have not been able to do my normal work out so this is a perfect time to chat about how to handle a situation like this.

Today i am going to do some light lifting.  High repetitions and going to especially work my shoulders.  Then after i am done i will do a run.  Only a mile or two.  My shoulder work out copies most of the P90X routine with some additional exercises.  One of my favorites it to hold either light weight dumb bells or plates.  One in each hand, and mimic the motion of drawing my bow on a 6X6 Bull elk.  Hold the weights in position for 10 seconds and repeat 12 times.  Give it a try and let me know what you all think.  Over the years i have kept my shoulders in shape by doing both high repetition and medium high weight.  twice a week minimum.  This along with shooting my bow whenever i am home.  

One of the points i wanted to make is no matter what routines you are using, do something, Cardio and Endurance routines will be the core of your overall fitness level come September.  

Cardio and high repetition routines will also help most loose weight.  

Remember to eat healthy.  Lean meats, all the veg, fruits and nuts you want.  Lots and lots of clean filtered water.   And get plenty of Sleep.  This is where your body heals itself.  

Crotch Horn - Daniel.  Keep it up.  Watch the heavy lifting.  I would concentrate on high repetitions and cardio.  Keep the weights low.   Dont want to injure that knee any further.  Stay on that bike.  It will be great for you.  Cant wait to hear about your  trip to Wy in October.  You are gonna be in great shape by then.  I wanna see pics.  

Alright, since i am on Rule one i wanted to ask you all a question.  Can you give me four minutes of your time.  A simple four minutes.  I want you to google TABATA.  Your four minutes has not started yet.  
Yep, its a funny word and when, not if, yo all do it, yo will be cursing my name.  Have faith.    

Dr Izumi Tabata of the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan developed a way of working his athletes to better increase their over all fitness with the following approach to an exercise.  

Lets try a standard body weight squat.  Some call it an air squat.   Do your squats for 20 seconds, as hard and fast as you can, and rest for 10 seconds, for 8 rounds, This totals 4 minutes.  When you do your squats, you are going all the way down until your thighs (Quadricepts) are parallel with the ground.  And back up in a strong controlled motion.  4 MINUTES,  THATS IT !    LOL.  

20 Seconds on, 10 seconds off, 8 times = 4 Minutes.

You can do a Tabata on virtually any exercise.  Push ups, running, squats, Burpees, oh yeah, Burpees.  Love to hate them.

You guys keep it up.  Get your families involved>  You children your spouses.  Get a workout partner if possible.  Its helps motivate.  Get a group at work.  Get a challenge going in your office.  

Short term goals to think about.  Sign up for a local 5K run.  you dont have to run the entire thing, but try it.  

This season you all are going to be in great shape come September.  You will spend more time in the woods than anyone else because of your commitment to your fitness.  

You will be less tired on that long stalk.  Around the edge of an Aspen edged meadow with a beautiful bull waiting on you.  

Only you will make that stalk and that shot.  

Stay strong...   Elk-Fit Strong

I know i know.  i probably sound corny and like i am selling something on the Home shopping network.   But i feel strongly about your fitness.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
Jack, good info especially on the goal and partners.
At work there are 3 (2 non-hunters) of us that are doing something about our fitness.  One just diet, the other almost over the top with both diet and exercise in my opinion.  Especially since he just started.  I'm in the middle - tracking diet and doing mostly cardio with high rep weights a few times a week.  Its good to have someone recognize the effort.
Aside from elk in Wy, I'm thinking of trying a sprint triathalon this summer like was suggested earlier.  Not planning on cleaning up but would like to finish knowing I gave it all just to say I did it.
Thanks to all for the modivational comments.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
A most enlightening read.

The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

Im all in on this.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
The hunt I went on a few years ago I did tons of work on the Elliptical w/ heavy incline and it worked well for me as I the trip came out of the blue and I only had about 8 weeks to prepare.  I worked extra hard and rested 100% the last week.

I've been on the P90X program now for aobut 4 weeks and will say best workout program "for me" that I've found.  Great cardio, stretching, and weight work.  

I'm pushing 43 and the 11 pounds I've dropped has been very noticable to me.  6'3" 129#.  I'm not in great shape by no means, but can see if I stay w/ this program....I soon will be.

I'm not planning on Elk hunting this season (you never know) but can say I'm confident that I'd be in the best shape of any time I'd gone.
Mike
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by LoweBow:
The hunt I went on a few years ago I did tons of work on the Elliptical w/ heavy incline and it worked well for me as I the trip came out of the blue and I only had about 8 weeks to prepare.  I worked extra hard and rested 100% the last week.

I've been on the P90X program now for aobut 4 weeks and will say best workout program "for me" that I've found.  Great cardio, stretching, and weight work.  

I'm pushing 43 and the 11 pounds I've dropped has been very noticable to me.  6'3" 129#.  I'm not in great shape by no means, but can see if I stay w/ this program....I soon will be.

I'm not planning on Elk hunting this season (you never know) but can say I'm confident that I'd be in the best shape of any time I'd gone.
Mike
Dang, I hope you mean #229 bud    :scared:      :eek:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©