3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13975 times)

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
LMAO!  Typo!  Yes  229# !!

Although I was 6'3" #155 the day I graduated from highschool in 86'.  28"x34" jeans if I remember right!  38"x 34" now!

Thanks Curt!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Not to hyjack the thread but it may be somewhat related:

I am new to elk hunting and will be taking on a Wilderness hunt in CO this September.  I am doing my cardio etc., but I am unsure of what I can tackle grade wise.  I would like to know if it is faesible to try and cross a 15% grade incline.  I would be going downhill to the camp site.

I have an option to drop off a couple of people along the way (with heavier packs) for a shorter (1.7 mile) downhill trek and the other two would take the "long" way which is a 3.2 miles trek with only about a 600' elevation change.  Animals would be packed out the long way with less grade difference and also be downhill.

The shorter trip would be a steeper 15-20% grade, but downhill and used only to get the initial heavier packs in.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Guard:
Lets try a standard body weight squat.  Some call it an air squat.    
I'll take that one for a thousand Alex....

My workout this morning was
75 Squats
50 Pull-ups
20 Ring dips
50 Squats
35 Pull-ups
15 Ring dips
25 Squats
20 Pull-ups
10 Ring dips

Don't have access to rings so subbed with bar dips.

Jack, you are making a whole lotta sense.  I'm drinking most of your Kool Aid.  Why the bias against weight, though?

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the thread Jack. Should add a little hx. on my situation. Was very sick 6-7 years ago. Could not pick up 20#s at one point. Hard on a guy who is used to working hard & being strong. (Even harder on my wife). Anyway the road back has been long & not easy with many set backs. 4 surgeries & 3 bleeding ulcers. Have to take meds to try to control that & side effects includes gout a lot. Doing the bike & weight lifting are a godsend to me mentally. As for heavy weights that is relative. Reconstructive shoulder surgery dec '08 put me back. I'm now benching 165#s with 8 reps & maxing 190. Legs are my strong point. I max the machines on almost every exercise but I have flat landers lungs living here in NY. That will skyrocket up after just a month of my biking (please no more snow 3-6 today).  I will be successful but need to keep it real with the knee issue. Eating well is the most important key for me. Have not had any meat besides bear, deer, or fish for almost 3 months. Working on getting all processed junk out. My biggest evil is my diet soda.  Down from 2 liters a day to one can 3-4 times a week. Just keep sending me tips & encouragement. I appreciate the support.
Dan

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by bartcanoe:
Weightlifting is a regular part of my regimen.  Usually a simple circuit of standing presses followed immediately by pull-ups for a set with short rests until completing five sets.  Builds the muscles involved in shooting.  Additional word on weightlifting, get off the bench, lifting on your feet has the additional benefit of building your core, and makes your body more functional.  Of course this may mean lighter weights, and a dedication to form.  Sounds like good practice for shooting, doesn't it?  
I'd like to highlight Bartcanoe's great point with this morning's workout.

Thruster 3-3-3-3-3-3-3

My max load was 135lbs which is what I could safely control doing that move for three reps at a time.  A thruster is a front squat that transitions to an overhead press in one smooth motion.  If I could only do one excercise to become elk fit, it might be thrusters.  I'd vary the weight and reps to span the cardio vs weight lifting spectrum but it is one hell of a move and bart's comments explain why.  

Dan, you are the inspiration brother.  Keep us posted on your progress.

I'm going to share my personal testimony and then quit hogging this thread.

When I was in college, I got a call that my Mom's youngest brother had passed away at age 40 of sudden cardiac arrest.  The last time I'd seen him, he had helped me track my first bow shot deer for many hours through the night.  Several years later, during a physical, my doc told me that my ticker wasn't exactly normal either and that I had some risk factors that needed attention.  I decided then and there that I wasn't going to take my health for granted any longer.  I lost 30lbs and started to get in shape.  Over the last few years, I've changed my approach to working out and eating which is shown in the journal I've shared with you this week.  Although I logged many miles jogging and hit the bench and curled dumbells a good bit in the first couple of years, climbing over the continental divide with 50 plus pounds on my back humbled me.  I realized that my routines weren't making me the mountain goat I wanted to be.  Climbing around in CO last season was a breeze and I felt like I could have gone another week without any problems.

Real fitness is a joy.  Get you some.  I've got lots of progress yet to make.  I'm looking forward to feeding on the inspiration you guys will provide.  

Now, it's time for a couple days rest.  That means chasing turkeys this weekend in the woods I shared with my uncle.  I'll likely treat myself to a Double Cheeseburger and chocolate shake at that little country store down the road from the farm as well.

Life is good today!     :campfire:

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Duckbutt.....enjoy your rest days, but don't think your hogging the thread. I appreciate the detailed look at your workouts. Haven't been able to incorporate them yet due to being pretty sick the last few days and will be out the country until next Thur. After that, I am planning on revisiting some of your posts and asking for your help in designing a specific plan of attack that will complement my pack work.

I've dropped 10 lbs (down to 262) since joining this thread by simply changing to a nearly 100% paleo diet, hiking with my pack and being pretty sick for 3 days.

Everyone keep up the good work!

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm in week 5 of INSANITY work out program. Down from 212 to 186 and getting cut and my cardio is better than when I was playing soccer in college 3 years ago.

Its been great. Following te workout plan to a tee, and the nutrition plan as well. Best thing I could have done during the offseason...

Offline laxbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Matthew,

I am in week #2 of INSANITY...........i hate it.

Definitely improved my cardio in just two weeks however.  Alothough, i find myself cursing the instructor when he takes breaks to "explain the exercise" haha.  I'm pretty sure the Pure Cardio is the workout straight from hell.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I do like to eat "close to the ground".  Venison and vegetables that grow in Indiana.  Someone long ago reminded me to train for your game.  I love to run but my 44 year old joints don't.  I spend more time hiking with the pack.  Moving up to 40# from 30# next week.  My elk pack will be about 45# this year so I'll move up to 50# by summer and work hard with that.  I wish we had some hills in Indiana  :)   I did get several miles in last weekend at Brown County State park.  Felt pretty good then.  My gym routine is mostly muscle tone and flexibilty with plenty of cardio, legs and core work.  I mix it up and try to stay interested.  Keep at it guys.  September is just around the corner.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Can I change this to sheep fit?  Or goat fit?  Or moose packing fit?  

Have lost 58lbs 6pants sizes since the end of november.  Yup I got into hibernation mode the past couple of years.  

now it's back to sheep hunting mode for the rest of my life, or until my knees give out!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Dan,

Sorry.  NO.  Elk only.  Go back into hibernation!   :)   That's a great accomplishment.  Keep at it.

I'm 5'10" and 175# so I'm thinking lose 5 pounds of fat around the middle and build some muscle and I'll be good.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Okay, Scifres has graced us with his presence on this thread and is even visiting me here in PA. We just finished a moderate paced hilly 3 mi hike with our packs (John's 30# & mine 25#). Fixing salmon, sweet potatoes, asparagus and portobella shrooms for dinner. Tomorrow morning we're hitting up a hilly 3D shoot with our packs on again. I'm gonna drop another 25# in to help make up for the slow pace of the shoot.

Way to go Dan! That's a lot of weight to drop in just 4 mos.  :thumbsup:

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
This thread is just what I need. Can't do a lot of the stuff you guys are, but it makes me want to do what I am doing better. Keep it up & end results will come.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
For those who are just joining in: excellent information on training can be found through these websites:

www.crossfit.com

www.uscrossfit.com

www.sealfit.com

www.tmuscle.com

www.bodybuilding.com
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Zog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2011, 02:33:00 AM »
Best exercise gear I ever got was a little pack with good shoulders made by camelbak.  I fill it with 65 lbs of lead shot.  Walk the dog up and down hills for 50 minutes and I put in about 3.5 miles and keep the heart rate at about 130.

Then when I hunt with my 35 lb pack, it feels like nothing.
Freedom is not constituted primarily of privileges, but of responsibilities

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2011, 04:08:00 AM »
Hey Guys, excellent inputs on workout options.  I am loving this !

AkDan, Sounds like you are working hard.  Cant wait to hear about your hunts this year.  I always wanted to hunt Alaska.  Use to love to read the articles and books by Jay Massie.  

You guys, dont let any of these workouts scare you.  Do what you can.  Any exercise is better then none.  Write down what you are doing and keep in in a log.  each week go back and read the entries and see if you are getting stronger and faster in your routines.

To coin a phrase from P90X... Set a Goal, Write it down....5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....lets get Elk-Fit

Todays work out is a killer.  Reduce the numbers to suit your fitness level.  This workout can take more than an hour for us average folk.  So be prepared.  

Its called the Viking.  Developed by a friend by the name Dodge. Now Dodge is former Army Special Forces, Marine Force Recon and a Navy Seal.  He eats this stuff up.  Oh yeah, and is of Viking decent.  

4000 Meter Row
1 Mile run with a 20 lb sledge hammer
200 Hammer swings with 20 sledge on a tractor tire.  
      100 left/100 right
1 Mile run with 20 lb sledge hammer
4000 Meter Row

I also throw in some shooting with my recurve before and after the entire routine.  

This is for time.  

So, this workout is a killer, i reduced my distances today and only did 2000 meter rows and a 3/4 mile run.   Also i added 75 hammer swings between the rows and runs.  

This works your legs, your upper body, your shoulders your core and your lungs.  You will build endurance and strength in all areas.  

Dont let it scare you all off.  Reduce the distances and quantities to suit your fitness level.  

I am glad to see many of you guys here.  John Scifres and Hackbow, thanks for joining.  Looks like you guys are gonna have a blast this weekend.  

Laxbowman, you can do that workout.  I played lacrosse in high school.  cant be as bad as our dag gone team workouts and runs.

Duckbutt, your a monster.  I love it.  Sounds like you are built like me.  Keep it coming.  

You guys have a great weekend ahead of you.  Get out and do something fun and goal oriented for the fall.  I wish i was there with you all but work still has me away for another month working 12 hour days, 7 days a week.

Elk-Fit ....you gotta earn it.  Now get out there.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
Elk-Fit eh?  I started to follow this thread and got behind during the week so this morning I decided to look at it again. I doubt I will be elk hunting this fall   :(    but I have noticed that my stamina has left me more and more over the years. SO, this morning me and Burrdock left the house at 0740  for a "BRISK WALK" that is about as close to running as I get anymore. I turned across the field for 5/8 of a mile and then did an about-face and RAN for about half that distance back toward the road(man are my feet HEAVY!), then we did about 3/4mi. down the road,really stepping out.Then turned around and headed for home,about 2.75mi total. Back to the house by 0820. we got delayed for a swim in the pond to smell the geese(Burr not me 18* this AM.).
I did that work after about a 30-40 minute stretch,If you all have not included stretching in your work out,you should.Lean,loose muscle is what makes a hunter happy,more so if you are in the mountains. Before and after is best.
  I hope I can set aside 30-60 minutes a few times per week to do my vesion of this challenge. I need to develope a plan and set goals and just get after it. I will keep you all posted and I sure wish everybody a good time. Be safe and be smart and be patient. It looks like it took most of us 40-50 years to get in this shape,It should take a good summer to start the change back to fit. You will be amazed at how good it can feel. OK, I gotta hobble out to the shop and make a bow.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
Here's another site with a lot of good ideas, particularly related to functional weightlifting.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Heree is somthing to keep in mind.I have been elk hunting in NM Mexico about 20yrs now with my buddy who is an outfitter.What we have noticed is that a few days into the hunt most guys are having a hard time carrying there bows and there shooting is off.

When your walking or running carry some sort off weight.It will solve that problem well before you get to the mountains.

OK enough typing I'm headed down to my gym.
Jeff Couture

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Guard:
Duckbutt, your a monster.  I love it.  Sounds like you are built like me.  Keep it coming.  
"

Ha! I may be able to live up to "Runt with an attitude" but not monster.

I hunted hard all day yesterday and this morning.  Now the wife has me hauling dirt and digging beds to work my way out of the doghouse.  NOt exactly the rest days as prescribed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©