3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK-Fit Challenge  (Read 13970 times)

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK-Fit Challenge
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Another idea for weighting a pack and functional exercise--sand bags.  You can get 80 lb sand tubes from a hardware store, break them into smaller units in big zip loc and garbage bags, and use them for two purposes: weighting a pack and upper body/core work with a heavy, awkward military duffel bag.  I got the idea from one of Ross Enamait's books, which are along the line of other links here on functional, high intensity exercise with simple or homemade gear but also with a terrific, logical attitude.  His field is mixed martial arts, but the mental toughness and focus translate well to hunting.   www.rosstraining.com
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Rodney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Ttt.       great thread

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
On several targets where we carried our packs last weekend during the 3D shoots, Darren and I would run up and shoot almost immediately.  Sure makes it tougher when you can't breathe  :)

Yesterday was good: ran 1.5 and hiked 1 mile before taking the kids to school and getting to work.  Then hit the gym last night and did upper body and core workout.  Had broiled skinless chicken breast, asparagus, wild rice, and 1 roll for supper.  Munched on trail mix (raisins, sunflowers seeds, and granola), banana, apple, carrots and a light roast beef and colby sandwich for breakfast, lunch and snacks.  Hitting the nature preserve with the pack for a couple miles here at lunch today and then probably going to load up 20 more pounds for a 2 miler in the neghborhood this evening.

Applied for my CO tag this weekend also.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I'm hiking in our mountains with my pack weighted down and doing one of my wife's aerobic workout videos.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I'm glad you started this it's getting me motovated. Last year I started pounding the foothills around here riding my bike to work and playing as much at high elevation as posible. It sure helped I felt so good at the end of the season last year. I just wished I had kept it up. I did good until december but feel of the wagon and now have gained ten pounds and not feeling as good. I been walking and somewhat putting efford in it but no like I should. I guess I am going to have to put more time into it. Turkey seasons coming soon so I think I will be chasing the mountian birds more than the valley birds. Heavy snow years like this make it so you have to hike in further with the roads snowed in. Last year a co-worker could not understand why I was willing to hike 8 miles for a "stupid turkey" when I could drive to one.
 1. No one else would be in there!
 2. I guess he just doesn't have elk fever!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
This is what I hike up to get into the turkeys from the bottom of the yellow cliffs. It's about 3000 ft. vertical and 5 miles at this piont. .

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
This was my pack for the turkey hunt loaded with full size decoys,all my gear and a few extras in for weight sure get's me in shape quick. Some days I hauled my pop up too,thats puts the load around 80 pounds.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
For those you who like to run but have problems,  joint pain, shin splints or any other problems  associated with running should read  "Born to Run". Totally changed and improved my running. Great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Jack Guard, thanks for starting this thread. As a once in shape guy, 163# at 40 years old in the best shape of my life to a 55 year old puffy 196# professional couch potato (except for my 15 minute bodyweight workout in the A.M. and 45 minute leisurely exercize bike rides and treadmill walks, I started reexaming the possibilities and I discovered through this and another post "kettlebells". In addition to my basic workout I got some kettleballs and the DVD's, primarily working on form,and I see an incredible opportunity to get back in shape. The Tabita method works well with my health club leisurely ride when I do that at the end. I couldn't do it at first, had to wait longer but its getting easier. Can't get in shape in a day or a week but I am real encouraged at the possibilities.

Had to move some furniture today for a few hours and haven't felt this strong in years.

I happened to be reading "Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It" by Gary Taube when you first posted this and having since read "the New Atkins", "The 17 Day Diet" and reading the "Primal Diet" book and blog I bought into the same principal themes as it makes too much sense to me. Atkins makes me feel like crap. Just did primal and started eating a big salad with salmon at lunch everyday and almonds for snacks and I'm dropping some lbs.

Losing weight and getting in shape. Let's keep it up!

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
On February 14th, I weighed 218lbs. Gradually, I started eating right or what appeared to be right. I lost an average of 2 lbs a week until I started the diet solution program. Expensive to get started with trying to buy organic foods but last week I lost 7 lbs. I weighed 195 this morning. I walk everyday for 30mins on the treadmill at 15% incline then running for 10 minutes. I have been doing this for about 3weeks and incresing my run time. I sometimes wear my 40lb weight vest. It harder walking the hills around the farm so I brought my weight vest home.  I live  and walk anywhere from 3700ft to 5000 ft elevation. I think that makes a big differance. I know when my friends would visit from sea level, they could never get their air. Last year I got some shin splints so I did some research and found chi running. It teaches you how to run like you did when you learned to walk. Sort of like born to run posted above. It really helped me and I never was much for running. I think over all that I have done, there is nothing like simulating the hunt like wearing my 40lb lead vest and climbing the mountains around here. It works on your legs and your breathing. I will be 47 this month and I can not go through this up and down weight loss and gain. With the diet solution, I am able to eat healthy, feel satisfied and have more energy.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline seven crows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Always count myself extremely fortunate.  live in Durango Co . about 6500 ft. . 30min north I can be at 11000 plus feet. 45 min South or West I am in the desert. Step out my door and run up a mountain for my cardio. Mountain bike everywhere for transportation and side beny is I get more cardio. Tons of free hand exercise( push up,pull up, handstands and hand stand pusups,dips, lunges, squats, weights, . Tai ji and most important is Yoga Yoga Yoga. Gotta stay limber. I am 47 ( not hard to say) still feel like I am 25 and act like 13.   Waiting on my NEW HILL .LIfe is GOOD!! 7C

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Well guys, off the prednisone now for my hand injury. That crap really screws you up. Puking the entire final 3 days of it but the hand is 90% back now. I work 12.5 hr night shifts but go to the gym when I get out in the morning. Mostly lift after work with some cardio. Snow is gone now so it is time to get the bike out. 15 mile time trials will start soon. Keep going guys. Won't mention my weight on here right now, that pred really screws it up.
Dan

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I am 48 years old and am in pretty good shape (ran the Cowtown half marathon at the end of February at a 10 minute per mile pace).  

I ran alot to get ready for the race but I was still overwieght. I am 5'11" and hit my all time high of 221# while training for the race.  It is hard to believe that you can run as much as I was running and gain weight.  That proves how important the diet portion of your lifestyle is.   I did not start to lose weight until I started eating right.   Paleo style eating (Caveman diet) works for me -- basically lean meats, fruit, vegetables.  The book on this plan is great and I suggest you read it but I just told you the basic plan.  He is very high on wild game because it is much healthier than most store bought meat.  ( Gives you another reason to put anothe doe or two in the freeezer)

I am down to 209# and plan to keep it up until I am down to my "fighting weight" of 185#.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I have been lurking on this thread will throw in my 2c worth. I am an inshape 49. I can do 8+ mile trail runs, mountain bike what have you. But my weight has always gone up in winter crappy diets. Work harder and harder to get it down by summer. I was looking for a year round fitness, eating plan. Saw guys talking about Paleo on this thread. Wow in just a week feel great weight coming off , eating that seems to just make sense, starting a circuit work out. I have a freezer full of elk, deer, antelope life is looking good. Will have the freezer empty by next season, and should be in best shape ever for back country elk this coming season.

Great thread.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Well, I have been on this training routine for about a month, and I am starting to feel better, sleeping better for sure. Pants are not as tight around the waist,etc.

Thirty minutes elyptical, or exchanged for time on a stairclimber. Then a variety of equipment for strengthening lower back, legs, shoulders.  Just kind of an all around thing I guess. It usually takes me 70-80 minutes per day/ three times a week with very little wasted time between exercises.  We try to work in some more cardio stuff on the off days.

I still have gains to be made in the area of nutrition, but one thing at a time. About the only thing I have done there is to quit most of the night snacks.

I am very encouraged by the start and hope you guys are as well. Keep it up- It is going to pay huge dividends this fall!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
LAst couple weeks have been kinda tough for me.
I'll know in the morning whether elbow surgery is in my immediate neear future. Have a partially torn tendon in my bow arm, needs to be reattached to the bone. That is going to seriously screw up my training. Actually it already is, as Ive been told to not use that arm too much- no dips, pullups, curls, etc. I can do pushups. No shooting my longbow.

Along with that, got a doozy of a neck stinger, chiropractor is workin me over pretty good, but he also advised go easy for a week or so. Adjustments 2-3x a week, and some stretching targeting my neck and its getting better.

didnt do much last week, a couple 4 mile walks, and some treadmill sprints. Today was nice out so I did 3 miles with my 50# pack on. Felt good.
Not breaking any speed records, but bumped out the 3 miles in a fuzz over an hour. ( flatland)

Tommorrow will be sprints, hindu squats, pushups, crunches, etc.

Im hoping that if I do need the surgery( likely will) they can do it real soon. Times getting too close to be able to shoot a bow by September. If I cant, I'll just be a caller and guide of sorts for my son,either way it wont keep me out of the mountains.

Been eating basically by the Primal Blueprint. I love it, Ifeel great, but still havent broken the weight plateau I've been stuck on. Im hovering at 168-170 seemingly forever. Gonna have to run a food log I think for a few days and see where I can tweak it. Other than that, I feel great. For a beat up old bag of bones LOL!
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I just read this entire thread and I want to join in, I am 5'11 295 pounds. I was going to the gym 4 times a week up until about 3 weeks ago. We have had nothing but illness in our house since then. Between my self and the kids we seem to have been sick that entire time. I am starting back on Sunday morning after work. I am wanting to get in shape so I can enjoy the woods with my kids for as long as possible. I will be 41 this year. My son will be 6. I am looking forward to they day that we can go elk hunting together. I will take any advice in a cardio plan. I love to lift, not much on cardio.

Thanks Greg

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Way to go Greg! When the workout becomes a burden, remember your motivations.

I just finished 40 min on the treadmill with 45# in my pack. Tomorrow, will be playing a round of archery golf with my pack on and the course will give us 2.8 mi of very hilly hiking. Not sure what I'll do Sunday yet, but next week in general will be brutal to make up a little ground from a 4 day trip to Honduras. (I only gained one lb thanks to some hiking in the mtns, swimming and a little basketball) I wasn't really able to stay on the Paleo plan while there, but kept my non-Paleo consumption in check - well, except for the beer and excellent rum. Back on it today.

Keep it up guys and don't beat yourself up for a mis-step. Get back up on the horse and ride it!

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Here's my take.
I've exercised pretty much 5-6 days a week since I was 18 (now 49), full time martial arts, weight training in my youth, body-weight strength training in my later years. Mountain biking, hiking and hunting the western mountains. Stayed in pretty good shape all these years by anybody's standards.

As I approach 50, I wanted to take it to the "next level" so I could reach a milestone on my b-day and not have to buy a sports car or something else stupid.

So, I am one week in to the Insanity program. Look it up. Extreme full body calisthenics, max cardio with strength. The developer, Shaun T has the creds and is a good motivator. The program is 8 weeks and I fully expect to be in the best shape of my life by the end of it. Don't do this if you're not in good shape to start. It's over the top, but you can do it at your own pace, as Shaun T says, know your limits. High impact so protect your joints. Not for the faint of heart.

I already feel the benefits and realize that mental strength is what's required with this program. Anybody else do this one?
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
As I look at my post, I realize that I failed to mention that the program totally kicked my butt the first day. Sorry if it sounded like I have handled it easily, I'm not. Bottom line: I thought I was in good shape: NOT
BW PCH III

His servant

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©