3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hernia and shooting  (Read 829 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
hernia and shooting
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
Well wednesday morning I had to go to the ER because of a belly button hernia. I just had My surgery Yesterday so haven't talked to the Doc about shooting. He did tell Me I'll be out of work for 2 weeks.

Has anyone else have this done and how long till You where able to go shoot Your Bow?

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hernia and shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
I had an inguinal hernia repair many years ago (diagonally about 3 inches above the pubic bone) and was allowed to shoot fairly soon while sitting, BUT that involves a different set of muscles.
Gary Logsdon

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I have had several, the inguinal above the pubic bone I didn't shoot for a month but had a large cut and mesh inserted.
The belly button hernia was just stitched back up through the belly button and was a walk in the park until the Staff infection set in, was about 3 months before I could shoot a bow again and have never felt the same again.

SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST BEFORE USING YOUR BOW!

Let your doc know about bow shooting but I would not shoot for 3 to 4 weeks which is the recommended time frame before commencing anything strenuous like heavy lifting and the like as was told to me.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
I had a hernia years ago and my doctor back then he told don't do anything strenous for 6 weeks.So I took it easy for that time.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
The Heart Doc gave Me the OK to go home and still waiting on the surgern to give Me the OK to get out of here and relax at home in My own BED.

Thanx for the replies, I will take My time and Do as The Doc tell Me when it comes to Bow shooting, Work and doing anything that May hurt Me... Inside and Out.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
It may be hard to refrain from shooting your bow and I understand it but I would advise following whatever your Dr. instructs you "to do" or "not do".

It just wouldn't be worth the short term pleasure you might get from trying it too early if faced with a longer time out caused by straining everything too early.

This is just one opinion but from someone who has your best interests at heart.

I'll be praying for a quick and complete recovery.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Double hernia surgery in January (13th) Shooting at the end of Feburary. Did lots of walking to get things back in place. Listen to the doc.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I had a surgery last year with the mesh and small holes. I was shooting a 35 pounder about a week later and heavier bows in about a month.

Offline GreatBay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Everyone is different and I would call or wait to see the doctor before doing any shooting. Better to be safe then to screw something up.
Dave Gibson

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I blew out a stomach muscle and it took my belly button with it.  I lived with it for years, it never hurt as much as my back, so no big deal, until it got to be to much. I had a world class awarded surgeon.  he told me no tobacco, it can cause the surgery to not heal.  He gave me rush Limbaughs favorite dope for pain, and  took them away  after i took one because he did not like how I reacted to them and told me to get back on my all natural supplements.  I will never have a six pack, the most I can do is a 5 packy mound of what I have left of my torn up abdomen muscles, but I was in Canada on a canoe trip six weeks after the surgery.  I did absolutely nothing to risk pulling the stitches apart until then.  Luckily mine has not returned, i have heard of local cases done by local surgeons that have had more than one repeat surgery, because things were not done right to begin with, of course it was always blamed on the patients. This is nothing to mess with, go beyond careful.  You do not want to have them do it again.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I had a hernia surgery with the mesh screen and one hole...I did nothing for three weeks then had baseball tryouts . I couldn't do sit ups or run for another two weeks though. listen to your doctor.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I have had 4 inguinal ring hernia repairs.  2 on each side.  

Recovery is key to your overall health.  Follow the docs orders and lay off for the typical 6 weeks.  

The truth was i never waited for the entire 6 weeks but i stay in fairly good shape.  When your recovery time is up you can get back into shape fairly quickly.  I can help ya with abdominal exercises when you are ready.  

Get well and let your body heal in the amount of time it requires.

Keep in touch if you need any help.   Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
You did not state the weight of pull on the bow but h no heavy lifting for 6 yes Six weeks to prevent any further tears in the tissue.
...Mark

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
Had inguinal hernia surgery about 10 years ago,took me about 4 weeks before I started shooting again,no problems at all.
michael schingeck

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Had a inguinal done in April.  Went back to work in three days and shot my turkey two weeks later.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Well I'm home now.. Glad to be out of the hospital. I am on blood thinners so I had to stay a few days after surgery to get back on track with My PT/INR.

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I had an inguinal repair with wire mesh in '98. Surgery early AM, Shot a nice 8 pt the next day!  I was younger and dumber then.  Luckily I had a good buddy along to drag and get it into the truck...you know since I couldn't lift anything over 5 lbs and all.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
I'm glad to read that you've made it back home.

Now it's just a matter of time and following instructions and you'll be all good to go!

God's blessings and healing be with you.

His servant, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
glad you are back home Bro and take it easy for a while.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I am taking it slowly.. Since it happened at work I'm not doing anything till My surgeon & Family Doc give Me the OK.

I'm still sore so I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to My Health.. Hell after I had My Heart Surgery I found out I'm not Superman anymore.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©