3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When to take off the trainin wheels?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline papawoody

• Trad Bowhunter
When to take off the trainin wheels?
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Hey all, new here. Just got into trad shootin about a month ago.  Ive been shooting recurves for a long time at carp, and thanks to THEGREATBROWNNOCKEMDOWN, I now own a beautiful Big River long bow. The bow is all tulip wood with bamboo core.  Im enjoying my self so much that im thinkin bout gettin rid of my compound.  Im getting comfortable shooting it and starting to have some confidence in my shooting. But my question is.
When did you decide to get rid of Wheels?
62" 54@28 costom Big River longbow
66" 54@28 Big River longbow
60" 53@28 Big River recurve
Compton Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to take off the trainin wheels?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Whenever YOU decide to put it down...   :)   Welcome to tradgang!   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
When You are ready.

Rafael is Top Notch and So are Big River Bows.  

Welcome to the Addiction.

There is a great group of trad archers in your area.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Thats right, the choice is YOURS and only Yours!! For me it was the first time i shot Bowhuntinfool's Big River, at that moment i knew i was done with the wheels.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN:
Thats right, the choice is YOURS and only Yours!! For me it was the first time i shot Bowhuntinfool's Big River, at that moment i knew i was done with the wheels.
Joe and his bows are contagious. He didn't introduce me to trad but he did give me the Big River Bug.   ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
I was in the same boat last year and finally a couple months ago sold my wheel bows and joined the traditional gand for good, Just do it and don't look back. Welcome to the family.

:campfire:
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
For me it was when the shooting of the coumpound
became boring. I was tired of the bow,release,
sights,etc. doing all the skill requirement of
archery for me. Pull the trigger,it makes a bullseye. The simplicity of traditional archery
and the beauty of the wood,leather,and feathers
combined with the challenge made archery exciting
again.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
In 1992 I had a rest fail on my wheelie bow when drawing on a great buck so I missed. (seemed like something was always breaking) The next day went to the bow shop and traded my nearly new Browning compound w/case and quiver and sight and rest for a used 80# Mamba and a dozen arrows and have never looked back, killed three Camp Lejeune does with it that year......sink or swim.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
Do it NOW!. Seriously get a bow appropriate for your physical abilities and do it. Get a bag style target and shoot a million arrows (slight exaggeration) at 8 yds. Keep expanding your range. Restrict your range. Place your tree stands with more knowledge. I have killed 30 + big game animals at under 15 yds.

It will be the best hunting experience of your hunting life.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
You are lucky I quit bowing all to gather for several years before I stumbled onto trad and found out it is a different animal all to gather.  I started off with a primitive long bow and it drove me on to a better and so on until I have it bad.  Trad is getting more exciting the longer I go with it.  The wheels only took me so far and I fried.  Welcome to tradgang and some very fine people.  Buckle up for a great ride.
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Offline papawoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I guess it comes down to if Im puttin venison in the freezer:)  Shooting bow has been a part of my life for over 20yrs. Started with a stick and string, then to compound, with the exception of carp shootin.  Im into this now hard core, and gettin rid of the wheels would support alot of my new addiction.  But again I dont like an empty freezer.
Besides shooting good what other types of things have you done to disiplen yourself into hunting with trad gear?
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Offline papawoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
And I cant forget to thank Joe. Hes the one that started it all.
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I bought a recurve during my second year of shooting a compound and fell in love with it.

That was 24 years ago and I haven't shot an arrow from a compound since. I'm pretty sure I never will either!

When someone decides to switch to a trad bow for hunting you should do it well before hunting season. Give yourself lots of time to get used to the new bow and style of shooting. And don't go back and forth between the recurve and compound. Let the machine collect dust for a year then dump it at a yard sale. Best thing I ever did!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Hey David, I'm in your shoes too! I love trad. but when it comes to bringing home the backstraps its hard for me to get rid of my compound. I usually take about 6 deer a year with it, looking to switch over this year, starting with spring turkey.  Think that I'm gonna leave that Hoyt Katera hanging in the basement for just a little while longer though!  :dunno:

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I can still remember 45+ years ago getting rid of my training wheels. I felt like I could fly and never considered asking dad to put them back on.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
I started in Trad before it was traditional...  :D   there were no wheel bows... 1959

15 years ago I went to compounds and did well with them but I always said when the competition and the bows weren't fun any more I'd return to the longbow.. well I did just that early this year and have sold off most of my equipment and tools for compounds.. reinvesting the money in bows and gear for the bows..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
you can still shoot both if you choose too.  there are people here that still hunt with guns too!  lol   I for one still shoot wheelies for marked yardage competition, and shoot all the unmarked with my longbow or recurve.  You don't have to give up one for the other.  I'm hardcore in both!  :thumbsup:

Offline TradDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 01:05:00 AM »
Hey Papa,  no reason you can't do both.  I get to shoot a recurve about 2 hours a week at my son's archery class (coach is nice enough to let me fling some arrows). As for me, the only reason I still shoot my compound is because I don't have a longbow yet.   But as soon as I do, that thing is history.
But his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob;(from thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) -Genesis 49:24

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
If you plan on hunting with trad gear get rid of it now!!! there is nothing worse then sitting on stand wondering if you got the right bow with you.second guessing yourself the whole time an not enjoying the hunt. or should you miss with trad gear get mad an grab the compound.If your going to doit with trad then do it with trad.all this stuff happend to me it was not fun .when I sold my compound I new there was no turning back fall was coming an I had a sense of relief .It was going to be me an my longbow all season long love was in the air!!!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
welcome to Tradgang,,,,enjoy the journey  :readit:    :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©