3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When to take off the trainin wheels?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When to take off the trainin wheels?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Only you can decide.  If you are in an area that has multiple tag opportunities maybe get some meat in the freezer with your wheels, then try the trad bow.  Then you won't be wondering if you blew it when a deer is outside you longbow distance but inside the compound range. It will help give you the patience to wait it out for a good shot opportunity.  But really only you can decide.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
When the dust on it made got to thick. I picked up a long bow and and the wheels sat collecting dust till I gave it to a neighborhood kid (bow, arrows, and case well over $400.00 value)When you shoot that longbow for awhile pick up the wheels and you will see the the difference in what feels natural.Good luck with the longbow.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
Whenever YOU decide to put it down...    :)    Welcome to tradgang!    :campfire:  
This is the best answer anyone can give you. This is your decision.
I would add that you have plenty of time to be proficient by hunting season. My thoughts are if YOU like shooting trad then having the compound lying around gives a false sense of security. If you keep going back and forth then you may never indulge yourself into trad. Getting rid of it now will put all your focus on trad.
But once again,when YOUR ready.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I always shot a compound with fingers and when I started shooting Trad I sold both of my Mathews Solocams and have never regretted it for a moment. For me hunting is all about 25 yards and closer(usually 10 to 15 yards). Practicing is so much more enjoyable too!

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I have been shooting trad now for the last 4yrs.
Best switch I ever made.Should have made the move
years ago.Welcome to trad-gang where people are honest and extremly helpfull.Everyone goes to the
extreme to help each other.You will find all your
needs and answers from this awsome trad-site.
................WELCOME...............
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Krause:
Do it NOW!. Seriously get a bow appropriate for your physical abilities and do it. Get a bag style target and shoot a million arrows (slight exaggeration) at 8 yds. Keep expanding your range. Restrict your range. Place your tree stands with more knowledge. I have killed 30 + big game animals at under 15 yds.

It will be the best hunting experience of your hunting life.
I 2nd this    :thumbsup:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
As said by many, only you can make that decision.  All I can do is tell you how it worked for me.  When I switched back to trad full time I did it about this time of year too, and felt good about it by the time fall came around.  But I had an elk hunt that fall, and the longbow I had at the time was a little on the light side for elk so I carried the wheels as my primary bow.  But it just didn't feel right, and by the end of the week I was carrying the longbow and just hoping for a very close shot.  I never did end up with a shot on that trip, but the experience convinced me that I was ready for trad full time, and I came back home and took a whitetail doe with it a couple weeks later.  
I kept the wheels hanging around the shed until they finally were worth almost nothing, and finally got rid of them a couple years ago.  My advice would be that as soon as you decide to make the switch permanent, get rid of the wheels while you can still get something out of them.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline papawoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Ive got a Big river longbow 54@28. I shoot it just about every day out to 25yds. I bought the bow to shoot 3D but Im having so much fun with it I want to take it hunting. Right now im thinking Ill put one in the freezer with the compound and use the longbow after. That way I wont feel so pressured.
 This site is great. Ive learned so much just by reading the threads. And it has helped fuel the addiction  :thumbsup:
62" 54@28 costom Big River longbow
66" 54@28 Big River longbow
60" 53@28 Big River recurve
Compton Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunters
Neosho Archers

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
You'll have your answer when how you kill a critter becomes more important than how big or how many you kill.   :archer2:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
I shot a Brackenbury TD recurve in elk hunting camp. When I got back in town I sold my Matthews and bought a Blacktail TD recurve and never looked back! Wish I would have discovered this stuff earlier.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
When shooting was more of a chore than fun.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
As has been said before...It's your decision.

I find trad archery MUCH more difficult.
And in that difficulty is the vast reward.

If you're ready for a change and a BIGGER feeling of accomplishment when taking an animal put the compound down.

One thing is certain...I didn't even begin to realize my potential with my longbow till I locked away my compound and stopped shooting it.

Good luck which ever path you chose.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
I tried a compound for 1 year, and sold it at a huge loss.  I hate relying on technology not to fail.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
only you will know when its time. im not getting ride of my compound.  the decrease in value so fast i rather just keep it.  i how ever never shoot it anymore and put all my focus on my longbows and getting ready for turkey and deer season.  one of my long bows will be on stand a few times this season, with my compound.  shots up to 20yds will be with the longbow and 30-40yds compound.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Try just putting the compound away for a year instead of selling it . Shoot only your trad. bow and hunt with it this year , dont try switching back and forth or you wont be as good as you could be with either . After taking some game with you stick your confidence will go up and you will realize that you can kill anything with the stick that you can with the compound. See how you feel at the end of the year and then make a dession . Thats what I did and my desission was to keep the trad. bow and the compound found a new home .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
You'll know when its time.Best of luck you wont regrett it.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I sold mine after a couple of years of not using them........and I needed the money to buy more Trad stuff  :thumbsup:  I fill in the gaps of the freezer with the gun after the  archery season.
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I never did sell my compound. That being said I haven't shot it since November of 2007. I picked up a recurve and have enjoyed it so much I never shot the wheels again. I haven't sold it since it isn't going to sell for much so it just hangs.

Enjoy.

D

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Two differnt sports completly, I don't ever see myself going back.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
I sold all I could and gave away the rest. Nothing but stick and string for me from here on out. It has been frustrating at first but by asking questions and learning with an open mind. I have become an addict to the "stick and string". There are days I can't get enough.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©