3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bisch's "Turkey Hunt"  (Read 551 times)

Bisch's "Turkey Hunt"
« on: March 26, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Well, Turkey hunting opened last wekend in S.Tx and I was raring to go. I got down to the lease on Tues (22nd). I hunted long and hard for 4 days and never even came close to a shot opportunity on a gobbler. Pigs were a different story though. I have discovered the good thing about being overrun with pigs - when what you are after does not show up, the pigs are endess shot opportunities, and FUN!

Tues afternoon I hunted a pit blind and had a gaggle of small pigs (30-40#) come in a little before dark. There were 7 black ones and one neat looking orange one. I decided I was going to shoot the orange one. After quite a while, and passing several shot chances at the black ones, the orange one finally go into a position where I could shoot. I drew back, anchored,........wait a minute, I never got close to anchor, let go, and whiffed one right over his back.

Fast forward to Thursday afternoon. I was hunting a different set-up that usually is a faily good turkey producer. I did see a few hens but no gobblers. Right at dark a nice sized pig came in and began rooting around in front of me. It was real close to dark but he gave me one broaside opportunity at 14yds. This time I drew back, anchored solidly, and let her fly. I could not see where my arrow had hit but knew I had hit him. I got out of the blind and found blood right where he was standing, but no arrow. I started on the blood trail and quickly found him about 50yds away. He was a really nasty stinky boar that weighed in at 165#. My shot was perfect and that is always a good thing to see. Here is a pic of the Ol Stink-Nasty:

On Thurday evening, the A/C in my camper blitzed out so I spent most of the day Friday trying to fix that. It did not happen and after 23 yrs that A/C unit is finally dead. I am now in the market for a rooftop RV air conditioner, so, if you have one in your garage you need to get rid of, let me know.

Friday afernoon I made it out to the same blind I shot the boar the day before. I did not get to the bind till nearly 6:00pm as I was deaing with to the A/C all day. Again, I saw a couple hens but no gobblers. I had a little buck fawn milling around in front of me just before dark. He threw his head up and then bolted. Here come the pigs! There were 3 bigger ones and a bunch of little bitty ones. I coud not make out any details as it was geting dark fast. One of the bigger ones finally got broadside at about 11yds and I let an arrow fly. They all tore out of there and I had no clue as to the results of my shot. It was too dark to see the arrow in flight. I got out and investigated and found that I had a complete pass-through with good blood on the arrow. I could not find any blood going away and quickly got worried. After a small circle pattern I was able to get on the blood trail. The pig went about 100yds and died about 10 feet from the road (I love good pigs that follow the program). Here is a pic of the nice 82# eater sow:

I guess since I did not get any turkeys, I have an excuse to have to go back net week and try again.

See y'all latr,

Bisch

Re: Bisch's "Turkey Hunt"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Sorry! Double post,

Bisch

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
Nice shootin'.  Looks like you had a good time regardless of the turkey's and the A/C.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Way to go sir! i love hogs!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Congrats   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Online lunatic11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Great job Bisch ! Which bow were you using ?

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Bisch I followed the same game plan down in Pearsall last weekend and will again on Thursday after I make the long drive down again. The hogs are thick and the birds hard to find.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Congrats! Looks like you took home alot more meat with the hogs than you would have with a scrawny turkey.  :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Way to go Bisch!!! Pigs are better than getting "skunked"!
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Hard to beat South Texas,nice pigs Bisch.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
lunatic11 - I was using my Sarrles Blueridge TD longbow (50#@29.5"), GT 55/75 arrows, and 150gr  GK SilverFlame XL BH's.

highpoint forge - Good luck next wek. I hope to get back down in the next 10 days or so. This year the turkeys are not coperting. The last 3 seasons have been great. I hope I can hit it right at some point this season.

Fritz - the turkeys may be small but chicken fried turkey breast is way better eating than any pig out there IMHO.

Bisch

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Theres the log that usually is posted in your pics.  Congrats on the KAP!!!!    Been studying for LT only 3 more weeks.  Next time your at Bobs rub some of that good MoJo on it.  

Shawn

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
I wished we had hogs! Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dmaxshawn:
Theres the log that usually is posted in your pics.  Congrats on the KAP!!!!    Been studying for LT only 3 more weeks.  Next time your at Bobs rub some of that good MoJo on it.  

Shawn
Good luck on your LT test Shawn! I just retired in Feb. I saw those lams you sent Bob and they are sweet. I still want to get down your way and chase after one of those osceolas one of these days. Send me a PM on the green screen and let me know how you faired on your test.

See ya later,

Bisch

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
Sorry, I am having doublepostitis today!

Bisch

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
Good stuff Bisch! Had a nasty pig a time or two. Heard you can fix it soaking over ice water in a cooler for 4-5 days.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 04:12:00 AM »
Way to go Jerry, nice hogs....Hopefully the turkeys will be a little more cooperative next week.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
CONGRATS,,,,2 PIG OR NOT TO PIG,THAT IS THE QUESTION,,,LOL,ENJOY,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Great job on the pork.As far as a rank boar goes I don`t think there is a cure other than sausage with a whole lotta "other" ingredients.RC

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
I think they mix pork in with it to make it taste better......
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©