3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deburring aluminums  (Read 445 times)

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deburring aluminums
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
The tang end of a file works pretty well.  The tang tapers as it meets the file and I just put the tang end into the shaft till the tapered part meets the inside edge of the shaft.  A couple of light turns and the shaft is deburred.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earl E. Nov...mber:
I am a bit fastidious about deburring mine.. I typically like to square the end of the tube with a mill file,, then "slightly" deburr the inside with a deburring tool.

A large chamfer on the inside of the tube promotes splitting out if you hit something too solid such as a hard stump.. The smaller the chamfer, the more tube in contact with the insert, the less likely it will be to allow the insert to push inside the tube.
Agreed, the squarer the end the better durability. A good flush butt joint between the arrow shaft and insert is strongest.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I use my deburring tool that I use on my brass cases after trimming when I reload. It does the inside and outside edges, works like a champ.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by far rider:
Try a deburing tool made for reloading. RCBS makes one for sure, but I expect any of the reloading companies have one. Fairly cheap.
I didn't read your post before I made mine Far Rider, this is the exact tool that I use. I'm just careful that I don't put any bevel on the shaft end, I only give a couple of quick turns to remove any burrs inside and out.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Great info, thanks everyone! How imparitive would you guys say that it is to have a squaring tool if cutting with manual tube cutters? I understand that cut-off/electric type saws can cause a crooked cut due to dulling blades, etc, but it seems to me that the guide wheels on a tube cutter would keep the cut rather square, right?
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
I just use a small tube cutter and a round file (like the chainsaw file mentioned earlier) and I have no problems.  Just go slow with the tube cutter so you don't bend the shaft inward.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I have used the same deburing tool whether using my old tube cutter or my newer cut-off saw.  I have never had a tip split.  If I ever hit something that hard it bent the shaft like a bananna.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
I used to use my jack knife, now I just touch them to my disc sander.  Insures a square and burr-free end.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
I drilled a hole one size smaller than the shank of my counter sink bit and drove the end of the bit in to the hole which is on the leg under my work bench.  I then just deburr the arrows by turning them with my hands.  It's always there and handy to use.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
RCBS deburring tool here also.One light twist will do it.
Next step is to square the end with the A.S.D. tool.

John

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
My arrow saw has a deburing tool built in the end. You just cut and give a quick spin to deburr the inside. I don't fool with the outside as the saw cuts fairly clean. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©