3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stand ethic question  (Read 670 times)

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
tree stand ethic question
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I have a fifty acre piece of property which I have a home on and the property runs north and south.  The property also has several gorges that run at a diagonal east to west along the property to with a few easy breaks.  These breaks fall from eastern side of the property over to my neighbor's.  The wind blows almost always from the west.  I have posted tree stands at these breaks well within my boundaries and hunt only game that is on my side of the line.
I travel to these stands on my property as well via the gorge or old logging roads so I never go across the line.  My neighbor (this is his NY hunting property) because he can see my stands from his land( I can see his as well) and swears that I am cutting off the deer to him, demands that I move my stands.  I told him no and that sitting on my land over natural funnels was fair and square.  But I would like some feed back from the Trad Gang community.  I am moving to Wyoming shortly and my new Tenant is also a hunter and I want to be able to offer him so sound advice with regard to stand locations so please fire away, Joe

Offline statedriller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stand ethic question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
As a landowner myself, I say that you own it and can do as you like.  You are hunting where you can hunt and I see no reason to hunt a worse spot just to help your neighbor.  If the properties were reversed, he would be hunting the funnels for sure....
I'm getting more dangerous all the time...

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
That is exactly how I feel.  Some of my property is quite thick and the deer hang there but getting to them is not so easy so I just felt that taking advantage of the terrain was my best option.  These guys have 30 more acres than I do to hunt.  I just want to make sure that I leave my new tenant with some good advice and a place to hunt with out any headaches.  Thank you for the reply Statedriller, Joe

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
It's your property and you have the right to hunt it any way you see fit. If the shoe were on the other foot he wouldn't move for you. Hunt it i say.    :thumbsup:
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
What's he going to do next, have you shoo all the deer over to his property, you can't use that kind of camo, you can't shoot a stick bow lol. Sorry I got carried away.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  I'd say you can do as you please on your own land.  

However (there's always a however) on my own property I give a nod to my neighbor who I know always sits in one particular spot and so I work myself where I won't be too close or interfere with his chances.  That's just my choice.  All but one landowner on this hill of about 3 miles x 8 miles of woods is unposted internally (most of us post the road frontage) and allow others to hunt or hike as they wish.  It's a fantastic neighborly area (I have said before our neighborhood watch is through crosshairs).

Certainly it's up to you, but aren't there spots further up those trails he can't see?  Personally, I wouldn't like to sit where I could see another hunter sitting.  Who wants to look at that on their day off?       :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Hi Charlie,
     I agree with you on the being seen part, I have never seen most of them when I am hunting just some stands which there are many ! I hope to have my tenant set up in some area that can not be seen from or see the other stands.  These guys have posted and sprayed orange paint on trees some 30 yards over my line.  I paid a surveyor $3,000.00 to survey and set multiple pins when I bought the house and land and these guys still can come to grips with the line, it is posted so heavily it looks like road frontage.  My neighbor to the west is the best you could have.  We hunt each others land back and forth no problem even help each other out.  I am easily just as happy for him to take the big buck off my place as if it were me.  I have no time for people with entitlement issues though.  I do not own the deer and in the end could really care less but it just gets me, I thought hunting was supposed to be fun, Joe

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
Enjoy your land and ignore the idiot neighbor.  This guy is sillier than than the people who try and tell me they have been hunting a particular spot or large area on public land so I can't hunt it.  I even had a guy I know get irritated I took an out of state hunter into a huge public hunting area because it was his since he has always hunted there!  If you don't own it, you don't control it.  Simple as that.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Lemmy guess the hunting property next door neighbors from the city right?! Years back I had a guy buy a a parcel close to me. I was out hunting one winter and here comes two people a guy and women up to me. I said what do you think your doing. They said going for a walk in the woods. I told them there on private and pleas don't trespass again. They where from NYC and this was going to be there summer property. With snow that winter it was easy to follow my tracks to my stands. When I went to check them in spring my stands where gone. Turns out she was a shrink and big time anti. Thankfully they never did build there house. I confronted him while seeing his vehicle on the prop. He denied taking them but I could see through his BS. I just let him know he comes here and brings his filthy habits of robbing folks with him from his nasty city.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
HEY,IGNORE THE NEIGHBOR,AND HUNT,HE PROBABLY DOESNT SEE DEER ANYWAY,EVEN IF THERE RIGHT UNDER HIS STAND,BECAUSE HES TO BUSY GLASSING TRYING TO FIND U IN THE WOODS TO SEE WHAT UR UP TO,,,ENJOY YOUR HUNT...
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
It's your property and you are certainly within your rights, "However" you have to be the judge as to which is more important, "Your Rights" or "Your relationship?"

Might be time for some adult beverage around a camp fire and see if a compromise can be had. The day will probably come when you need to ask him for permission to track one that went on to his property.

As things are now, I would say it's a long shot that he would grant it.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
you cant help the lay of your land. it is what it is.HE is the one who has the less then perfect set up.On the farm I hunt the funnel ends into our land.If the deer get shot before they get to me there is not much I can do about it.on the other hand I would not set up 20 yds from the guy either.how ever 50 yds away I would when bow hunting.I would be inclined to devise a plan with the guy so you could both have a productive hunt.If not resolved these problems could go on for years.Every season you start off wondering about what he is going to do.how can you make a plan if you cant carrie it out.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
you cant help the lay of your land. it is what it is.HE is the one who has the less then perfect set up.On the farm I hunt the funnel ends into our land.If the deer get shot before they get to me there is not much I can do about it.on the other hand I would not set up 20 yds from the guy either.how ever 50 yds away I would when bow hunting.I would be inclined to devise a plan with the guy so you could both have a productive hunt.If not resolved these problems could go on for years.Every season you start off wondering about what he is going to do.how can you make a plan if you cant carrie it out.

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Its your property,do what you like.I really dont see the problem.
michael schingeck

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
Tell him that his house impeads the natural look of wilderness when your on your property, so you would like him to move it so you don't have to look at it.  If he wants that spot so bad, ask him how much is he willing to pay for it, and then problem solved.  

Maybe be nice about it and see if you could work out a schedule that both of you could agree on that allows one guy to hunt the area at a time, but then again, it's your property.  Enough said.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
No matter where or how you hunt someone will always be  jealous.  I would say a common problem with those who buy or lease a piece of property stricly to hunt and for no other purpose, but I am probably wrong.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I think you have your answer.Its yours do as you wish.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
If he's a jerk...which it sounds is highly possible...who the heck is he to tell you what to do on your property? If he wants to hunt the funnels on your property then he should buy the land or be glad for what he has.  If you guys are friends, you could work something out, certain days you would hunt the area, him on others.
That would make you a very good friend indeed and he should be kissing your behind for a favor like that. If he didn't show any appreciation, he's not much of a friend is he?
David M. Conroy

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
it is your property and you can do what you want on it......he in my opinion is an idiot to think that you will give in to his wishes....the only thing that I would do for him is remind him again which side of the property line to stay on.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I think that he should study the habits of white tail deer.
If they are pressured, they will move, they will seek (like humans) food, shelter and water.
"cutting them off", would be an effort in futility.
He can alter his plans on his property, but I don't feel that he has any right to ask you to alter yours.
You should inform your renter to exactly where the boundries are, and give him specific written permission, aside from the rental agreement, to hunting access on your property.
I feel sorry for your neighbor, however you are putting up with the same thing from him in reverse.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©