3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tree stand ethic question  (Read 668 times)

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tree stand ethic question
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Joe- You have the right to do as you wish on your property.If you are moving to WY. in very short time, I would not worry about it! Good luck in  WY, there are some awesome opportunities there!!
  :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
You have to be able to hunt your own property. These are not the kings deer and this isn't the middle ages.

Hunt the best spot on your property and try to keep peace at the same time if possible.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
I'd tell him to mind his own business. If he had been more tactfull then I might be inclined to handle it nicely but bottom line no one should be able to tell you what to do on your land. If he got too obnoxious I would set up 2 or 3 stands 5 feet from the property line.    :readit:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Keep hunting them there is no shame in hunting were and when you want on your own property. I have a similar situation my 27 acres is long and narrow. If your neighbor doesn't like it he can always move. I feel he has no problem cutting deer off from you if the come the other way   :confused:   Tell the new guy to place his stands were yours are and just hunt.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
I would work up some kind of agreement for hunting the area.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Earl E. Nov...mber:

Might be time for some adult beverage around a camp fire and see if a compromise can be had. The day will probably come when you need to ask him for permission to track one that went on to his property.
So true a statement. Too many times we try to settle things through argument. Campfires and adult dialogue is the best medicine. If only the rest of the world could follow this same simple advice.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Exactly the reason I never went back to Jersey and the reason my parents moved out here when they retired.

That being said, had a guy purchase 40 acers right on my north fence.  He and his son wanted it to deer hunt.  Well, several weeks into bow season he calls me and wants to know if they can hunt on my ground cause they are seeing a ton of deer on my side of the fence.....  I am all for getting kids hunting but I had to say no.  I felt it was up to him to get the job done.  The deer used both sides of the fence.  I just had "better everything" on my side.

Same property, gets bought by some jerk barrister (not all barristers are jerks) and he fills it with stands.  Every year I have some kind of incounter with someone who is hunting his property.  Two years ago he calls me at 4:30 the last day of our first gun season and tells me that they shot a spike and he went over on my property and they are going home.  So, if I want to go look for it go ahead. We had semi agreed to not shoot young deer.. They put their stands up within 20 yards of my line.

This is a never-ending battle..  You just do what ya have to do..
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
You are morally, ethically and legally fine.

You may yourself consider taking a much closer look at other set-up possibilites that could turn out to be even better options. Give them a fair test and then choose to move your stands if desired or just leave them. Even the best set-ups hunted too often will educate the deer.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
He's probably getting "cut off" in the bedroom too
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
If effect, your neighbor is upset that you're in the way of him shooting deer coming off of your land.

Do not compromise with someone this wrong.

If he wants deer to bed on his land, he needs to do some habitat work to improve his own land.

Instead, he wants to use your land as his private bedding area and he doesn't want you hunting there, on your own land.

If anything, he should move his stands if he's relying on hunting the bedding area's on your land, that you are already hunting.

This would be like if you had land on a steelhead river and the neighbor upstream told you not to fish because you had first crack at the fish moving upstream and he didn't want to getting in his way.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I'm with Earl E. Nov. on this one.  Although your neighbor has no right to tell you where you can put a stand on your own land, you will both be far better off if you can work out a mutually agreeable solution.  

My hunting property is surrounded on all sides by other hunting properties.  We all kind of know where each others stands are at least near the boundaries, and are respectful of each others stand locations.  That doesn't mean that one landowner can claim rights to everything within eyesight of the fenceline.  It simply means we do consider how our own stand placement might affect the neighbors.  It works both ways, and both owners need to be on the same page for it to work.  

There will come a time when you shoot a deer that runs on to your neighbors property.  It will go much better if you get along.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
If you are cutting off deer going to him the reverse is also true he's cutting them off on the way to you. In NY we can only take a handful of deer so it's not like your taking every deer in the county. It's your land so I say do as you see fit. On the other hand a war with the neighbor is never good. It will only get worse when it's a tennet and if a wounded deer ever crosses the line then the fireworks start.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I understand the mentality at work here. I grew up in the late 70s through mid 80s with a hunting  cabin and property in North Earsten Pa. It was awsome to have such a place and 1000 acres. The only poor memories I have years later came from the attitudes of both some of the members of our small club as well as the members of surounding properties. It was as if every other camp was the enemy! People actually ran reconnaissasce missions and spied on each other. Once, as a late teen I drove to a camp about a mile up the dirt road and just visited for a couple hours. I was plied with alcohol and all but given the bright light treatment in an effort to gather intel at that camp. When I got back to my camp I was nearly hung for treason! Don't let such attitudes develop or effect your enjoyment. The responses on here that suggest speaking with your neighbor...espically over a beer and a fire....are right on!
Get bamboo.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Well, it IS your property, however, since you would like your new tenant to enjoy it also you may want to try and work out a compromise with him.
What if during the season you offered to let him hunt one of your choice stands for a few days, while you have a chance to hunt one of his choice spots. If it works out good for each party, maybe you can make it a regular thing. A sort of diplomatic compromise. You always have the ability to close the door later, and you seem to be holding all the cards. If he is unwilling to work together then just ignore him.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
I would actually have to come sit in the stand during hunting season to get some first hand observations before I could make any impartial judgement. What time would be good for you?
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
:laughing:  VTer
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
A conflict like this could get real interesting when a deer tou hit makes it off your property. NY has no fight to retrieve and even a DEC officer cannot require a landowner grant access to recover. This goes both ways and could be brought up when trying to find a compromise good for both.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
Easy solution. When he's hunting in his stand, sit in your treestand wearing only a camo speedo and yell over to him asking if he wants to join you for a Cosmopolitan martini after the hunt and watch Dancing With The Stars.
My guess is, you'll never see or hear of him again! LOL   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Owlgrowler:
He's probably getting "cut off" in the bedroom too
Now those are "horns" of a totally different color...lmao

My guess is you might want to consider moving the stand anyway. If he is thinking that way, chances are he's not much of a hunter and is mucking up the area with noise and scent any.

That way you get the high ground and the deer   :thumbsup:
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
If he sees you in your stands while you are hunting, just smile and wave.   :wavey:
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©