3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you guys use aluminum ?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you guys use aluminum ?
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
I shoot all three.  1916 and 2016 both shoot real well out of my 48 lb. longbows.
bolong

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I shoot aluminum (2117's) for hunting and wood for 3D, stumps and the like.  Messed around with carbons but just don't like them.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I use all 3.  I started out with aluminum back in the 70's.  They were and are very consistant and now-a-days, they are about the cheapest arrow shafting you can get.
I have been playing with carbon and I have finally got a carbon arrow tuned perfectly to my bow.  I can honestly say that I have never had better arrow flight and my confidence with my equipment has never been higher.  
I love making wood arrows but there has been times in the past when I couldn't get one to fly a broadhead.  I tried some sitka spruce lately(from Hilldabrand) and I have NEVER had better wooden shafts in my life.
So what is the purpose in all this ranting?  Its all fun!  Shoot what you enjoy and enjoy trying different things.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I have only shot aluminum.  Mainly because I shot aluminum out of my compound and when I switched over I didn't want to go to a new arrow also.  I like aluminum but one hit of a tree or a rock and you are left with a useless bananna.  I am considering going to carbon because they are tough and do not bend.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Carbon for me.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
I shoot all three but have been shooting aluminum all winter in 3-D. You need an arrow straightener to get them back to really straight like I like them, preferrably one with the dial.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I hung up the wheels for trad only a year ago, and have only shot aluminums since (i shot carbons with the compound). I started with them because I read that they were durable, and also because they seem to be more affordable. I like them and will continue shooting them.

As some others have said, I've got small children and don't have the time to tinker with woods.

Carbons seem to be more expensive.

The things I'm not sure of concerning aluminums are:

A) I worry about bendability/denting of the shafts

B) I don't care for the "twang" noise you get when the hit something harder like a stump (trivial, as it be)
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
I switched from wood to aluminum a few years ago and wish I had done it sooner.  

I really like how every shaft is perfect and they all fly the same. The last dozen cedars I bought were stuck together from the sap. That was the last straw, I had enough.

I can't see me changing to carbon anytime soon. I haven't met a carbon user yet that didn't go through a long tinkering process just to get good arrow flight. I gave up tinkering when I gave up the compound. I like simple things. Feathers, nock, insert, point, go kill something!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I shoot aluminum only! I've tryed wood and carbon's and went back to aluminum. Nothing against the others, but carbon is expensive. I can buy a dozen 2117's for about 40 buck's. I might have 50 dollar's in the whole mess when I'm done with fletching and such. Aluminum does bend, but I broke alot of carbon's and wood's when I shot them. It's about as broad as it is long. Just shoot what you like. I guess I'm just cheap   :D   but in today's economy..that might be a good thing!

JMHO! Jason

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I love aluminum!  Been thru the carbon thing...too much fuss for me. Buy few different sizes in xx75, see which one shoots best then go hunting.

The weight is already there, spine never changes and durable.
Plus I love the sound of them banging against brush as deer run off on the death run!

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
I use all 3 as well, I love making wood arrows and they shoot as well as I do.

I do have a thing for Aluminum arrows they are very forgiving and have a great level of consistency.
I have a great supply of 1918, 2018, and 2020’s I seem to get them to fly out of any of the bows I have.
I would love to find some more 1920’s again.

I have tried several different carbon shafts and think they work fine.
I will say however that I like the Easton FMJ shafts a great deal.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I use aluminum only, 2117. They're getting harder to find up here as most shooters I know have switched to carbon.

I've found that aluminum are really easy to tune, and they have a good weight to them.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Returned, last fall, to shooting on a regular basis. Tried different spined carbons but have gone back to aluminum because of the weight. Using 2016's mostly bec they are 10.6gpi, and shoot well out of my 54# recurve and 46# longbow. also 2213's and 2114's have shot well for me; and like someone else said, they are easy to tune.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
I think if I'd purchase an arrow straightener I'd be way ahead of the game with regards to the "carbon is tougher" idea. I've shot both, and find that the durability is nearly equal. most hits that bend my aluminsum would have damaged the carbon to the point of uselessness. If I'd have a straightenr. I would be waaay ahead.

Aluminum is also easy to fiddle around with cuz you can cut it with a tubing cutter.

Regards,

Brian

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Never shot wood just carbon and  aluminum, 1916's and 2016's Legacy's are my choice. Never has a problem!
Conny

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
There seem to be a LOT of guys using aluminum. Again, I can be rough on my arrows, but like I've said, I have had decent results using metal.....So at this point I am thinking "why change a good thing ?" ............or as the immortal ???  Aw hell I don't know who said it but it sure seems to be true....."If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  !!!!!!!!!!...................Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated!!
Trab   :thumbsup:
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
My father shot since the late 40's and shot aluminum exclusively all throughout the 60's. He thought I was crazy for wanting to shoot all cedar...so I shoot some 1916's and 1816's just to passify him! That being said....aluminum is plenty tough enough and straight enough to fly great! I just CAN'T make myself shoot carbons out of my traditional bows...it's a personal thing...I LOVE the whole 40's,50's,60's heritage to these bows and carbons weren't part of that era...it's my own personal hang-up. Maybe someday, but I haven't lost a 3-D or grocery shoot because my woodie/aluminum arsenl was lacking....just me!......my opinion...John
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Shoot em all the time. Love the old autumn orange xx75 shafts especially. I'm a sucker for wood shafts, but shoot aluminum an awful lot. Cheaper than carbon and more durable than wood most of the time. On the other hand, I love the smell of port orford cedar.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I started with aluminum but, now I shoot
woodies most of the time. I have used carbons
not a big fan. During winter 3d if its real cold
I'll use my 2016's. I hunt Deer & Bear with wood.
I got a Hog hunt soon but, I think 2016's will
get the call.

Offline Roots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Aluminum for me, 2016, 2114 for a 45lbs bow. A 2016 is a 2016 regardless of where you buy it, and I had problems getting properly spined and weighed wood arrow.(long time ago). The other reason was not properly sealing the wood shaft, I was hunting deer when it was piss pouring rain for three solid days, my wood arrows got warped and bent out of shape, from then on have never shot anything else but aluminum.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©