3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you guys use aluminum ?  (Read 1227 times)

Offline bpjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you guys use aluminum ?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I shoot nothing but aluminum now, never even owned a single carbon.
55# 56" Bear Black Panther
52# 66" Hoyt Gold Medalist
42# 58" Bear Kodiak Hunter
45# 62" Pearson Colt
50# 66" Root Rangemaster
45# 64" Bear Kodiak

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Aluminum or wood for over 45 years.I think I've got just about every size they made ,except 1820's and 1920's.Sure wish they'd do a production of these again.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Big Fisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
I shoot aluminums.  20-16, 19-16, Gammegetter 500's all work well.  Have an arrow straightener which has paid for itself several times.  On a day of inclement weather it is very comfortable to sit down with a cup of coffee and straighten arrows.

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
When I first started with a recurve and didn't know better I went to the shop, and the guy looked at the Easton chart and sold me XX75's that were too stiff.

Not wanting to repeat that mistake, I decided to get into making wood arrows. It's been fun, they're easy to work with, and tune, and cheaper too.

I went through a period where I got tired of that and bought some carbons. Turns out they were just as much trouble and less fun, and I had a couple break into pieces on release, so that was enough.

I've tried a bunch of different aluminums, and shoot them sometimes, but right now I'm back to cedar.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Over 40 years with aluminums and woodies.

I still have a bunch of 40 years old aluminum arrows that I shoot all the time.

I bought a deluxe arrow straightener for $40 in 1971, a similar machine now costs $270.....

Woodies I have used are POC, Surewoods, Sitka spruce and Forgewoods.

Sure wish they would make more Forgewoods I really liked them.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2216

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
I shoot easton 2216's. Over the years I have shot just about every type of shaft from the old Gordon Graph-flex to laminated birch. I would give my left arm for some old autumn orange or JDA naturals. No question the carbons are more durable, however, they are expensive and require a cut-off saw to tune. My problem with wood is the lack of consistency in the shafting. Their are many variables in bowhunting, and arrow flight should not be one of them .  My advice is to shoot what works best for you and good luck in the woods.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
My best buy so far is an arrow straightener with a dial for $5 at last years Denton Hill trade blanket. I don't see how you can shoot aluminum for 3-D and not have one.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Aluminum and Arrows is all I've used. Nice thing about Aluminum (2117) you can find most any where. Just like 30-30 or 30-06 or 22 LR ammo.
Yes a straightener helps. I have with dial that bought from a guy for $20.00
moose

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Easton fmj's - carbon core with alum exterior - durability of carbon, weight of alum.  Very easy to get a reasonably heavy, high FOC arrow...and they're skinny so you're closer to the shelf and they penetrate well.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I've been shooting nothing but aluminum for about two years now and been very happy with them. I've had good arrow flight with them out of my bows and the as someone else said, the price is right.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Only use aluminum if I change it will be to try wood.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
YEP
2018'S
Slickhead

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
I've found 2016 and 2018 aluminum shafts to work well with all my 50-55# longbows and recurves.  I love working with cedar arrows, but frankly have found the aluminum shafts easier to get flying well since the spine and mass weight are so consistent.  Carbon arrows are very durable, but the ones I've tried aren't as consistant as aluminum, so it takes a little finesse to get the weight up and tuned.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I broke my last carbon so I now only shoot aluminum and wood. Carbon is no doubt more durable in flex but I would argue they are the least durable against hard impacts. Every carbon I have broken developed cracks right behind the insert or ahead of the nock from hard impact, ex straight into a board. Also I think the lowest grade of hunting shaft Easton offers is more precisely matched than most carbon shafts.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I shoot 9 inches of a 2016 glued in to the front of a 2216, with 225 grains on the front.  Makes for a heavy, quiet, hog-killing projectile.   I do like wood too, but the aluminum-combo above works well. If I don't get a pass-through, the arrow will usually break where the 2016 insert ends, but I will trade an arrow for a dead critter any day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©