3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey question  (Read 190 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkey question
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Out in the turkey woods now and have a quick question. Of course I set up on the wrong side of the river, I was able to get them coming my way but they would not cross. Question is now that I have found there roost can I set up to ambush them in the evening on there way back or do they use different trees to roost in?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Sure can!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Thank you. It's going to take me 2to 3 hours to hike out to the bridge so I can cross the river, illstop at the truck eat some lunch then hike back it on the right side of the river this time and find a spot to set up thanks again.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
It's hard to get them to cross any obstacles let alone a river. Get on the right side and try to roost them and not spook em.

If you saw which way they went the last hunt they will probably go the same way again looking for hens.

Most times they will roost in the same area or close to it unless spooked. Set up again and give them a clear path to your decoy, Call very little just let them know your there and see what happens.

Good luck and shoot strait!!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Yep, you should be good to go.  Just remember that they may not come from the direction you expect them and they will likely be bunched up pretty tight.

Wish we could hunt them in the afternoon here, but hunting hours end at noon.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Mitch, done at noon? That's a bummer, I shoot most of my birds between 11 and 2. I guess that's why the Game Dept does that.

WTPOPS, these guys are all over it, they should be roosting in the same general area if not the same trees. Turkey are tough to call past obstacles, they will hang up if they have to cross a creek, through thick brush, through blow down, really steep cut etc

Good luck and have fun.

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
good luck . Roosted turkeys do not always mean roasted turkey.        I had rather be lucky than good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©