3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feathers falling off  (Read 845 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feathers falling off
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Good Cleaning with Acetone, then Glue them on with Saunders NPV Fletching Cement.... forget the Rest and Use the BEST!! Sounds a bit biased doesnt it?
  I have used Saunders NPV for 14 years and have NEVER Lost a Feather, unless the next shot was so close it stripped it off.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Have you tryed super glue ?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Just use the regular Fletch-tite and you won't have any problems...at least I haven't with aluminum. Also clean shafts with Acetone.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
try duco,just not on your carbons.duco is some great stuff and it is cheap.send me a pm with your info and i will send you a tube to try,steve

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Another "Platinum Horror Story" here. It happened about a year ago so I trashed the stuff and bought about 4 tubes of the old Fletch Tite. When thats gone I'll go back to NPV.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I just switched to Bohning fletch tape. Should have done it years ago(old school glue).I had to cut some fletch off for checking different feather shapes. Blade slide right under the feather and tape.Rolled the left over tape off the shaft and you would never know that the shaft had been worked. ( carbon ). The best part was that I could use the feathers again if need be. BTW, actetone is a good solvent but not really good with porous materials for what we are doing (carbon).The Ajax works great with aliminum.Did it years ago. It absorbs in the shaft for a bit and reacts with the glues.The alcohol is better.The best advantage is you can do a dozen shafts in a lot less time.No mess either.Just my 2 cents worth JG

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Just a add to my previous post ,must have hit a wrong key?? The actone absorbs into the porous material not the ajax.JG

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
I had a bad batch of the new fletch-tite platinum. I had to re-fletch several arrows that I had built for my fellow wheelie bow guys last year and again early this year. I haven't had that problem with my fletch tape though. You may give that a try, it's pretty inexpensive and you can do about three dozen arrows with one roll for about $8. Good luck.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I have had the same problem with carbon shafts.  I cleaned them with denatured alcohol and I tried acetone.  I didn't have luck either way.  I emailed the company and they sent me a new tube.  I fletched some up and they worked fine.  I fletched some more several months later and they fell off.  Now I just use superglue and no problems.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
I dont like that glue at all. Some times it works and other times it doesn't. I use fletch tape now and a dab of gorrila super glue on front and back of feathers
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Cleaning the shafts carefully is the good first step as many have already said.  I ususally lightly rub the area of the shaft where the fletch will be mounted with fine sandpaper (600 grit) and then clean with alcohol.

But I have to say I'm a bit suspect of Platinum.  Over the past couple of years I've tried four tubes.  Two worked great.  Two did not hold.  Hard to believe they have this kind of batch to batch problem.  Wonder if there is a shelf life issue, especially after the tubes are opened.

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Yep. I have had issues with the platinum stuff too. I still use the original fletch-tite. Works great for me. For wood arrows though, I use Duco cement and a green brillo pad, or sand paper, or steel wool and follow that up with alcohol.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline copperhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
I always use fletch tape with glue on the ends of the fletches and have never had a problem with them coming up.
47# 56" Anneewakee Addiction recurve
"Don't tread on me!"

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
Also had bad luck with fletch-tite platinum on bare shafts. Works great when arrows are dipped with bohning paints. Use Saunders Arrowmate NPV cement on bare shafts.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Tape seems to work the best, clean shafts are a must no matter what attachment style you prefer.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
If you use tape ,as soon as you get into cold wheather your feathers will fall off , all of them!

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Fletch tape.  Clean first, then apply fletching.  They generally last longer then the feathers do.  I've never had tape fall off from cold, wet or icy weather.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Alcohol does not work for cleaning the shaft. Easton and Bohning will both tell you alcohol inhibits adhesion and to use ajax or ssr.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Yea, the Bohning SSR cleaning solutions is pretty cool. Comes as a powder in the bottom of an empty bottle. All you do is add hot water to the line, shake, dip, wipe, dry and fletch. But it's for aluminum and carbon arrows, not wood (It says on the bottle Aluminum and Carbon).

Even though I have never had any problems with alcohol on any shafts (wood, Almn, or carbon) I will try the Ajax. I like home remedy stuff.. That sounds like it would get it CLEAN!
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Haven't had any problems using Platinum glue on aluminum shafts.  I always wipe the shaft and feather with acetone.  I recently tried the Bohning tape, which worked very well.  I used both the glued and taped arrows for stump shooting in the snow and rain..... no problems.
The work praises the man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©