3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: coyote question  (Read 646 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
coyote question
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
without food what would hols coyotes in an area?? the mountain i hunt has the normal amount of coyotes that any big woods area does. when snow comes deer and turkeys move down to the low lands a few miles away. there are no rabbits up there. not enough squrriells out and active to feed any amount of coyotes. the coyotes DO stay there all winter. took a quick walk today and there was a TON of coyote sign, tracks everywhere! no kill sites as there was not ONE deer track. very little turkey sign as they do not move back up untill the deep snow has left. did see a good amount of mice tracks. how on earth do these critters survive in harsh conditions and THRIVE????
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: coyote question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
...  :dunno:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
One word: mice.

There are usually huge numbers of mice under the snow. That will become their primary prey in lean times. Wolves will subsist on mice and lemmings too...most canines are less reliant on large game than most of us think.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
They do eat alot of mice. I have watched them catch up to 8 mice, and gulp them down on the way to my call, only to get shot then. Coyotes are amazing critters, and can survive in the toughest conditions.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline BANNOCK-.PT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
They will also travel to those low lands at night  to hunt deer and back to their safety up on the mountains during the day.
Live every day like it's your last and one day you'll be right!

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
On a WoodWise cd call about coyote,the guy say that it's faster to name things coyote would'nt eat than things they would eat.Survivor for sure!!!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I agree with Bannock they're probably using the snow laden, barren mountains as a refuge and traveling into the low lands to do they're hunting in the middle of the night!  Where I live we hardly ever see a coyote, but the trailcam in my garden in the back yard gets pictures of them every week!  Very elusive animal they are!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Went times are hard they eat a lot of plant material.  Here in AZ there is a lot of mesquite in their droppings went ever it gets tough.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Coyotes main dite is mice,If you ever watched them mousing you would be amazed how easy it is for them to catch mice.
michael schingeck

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
i knew that their diet reviles around mice but it just does not seem like that would be enough to hold them on the mountan in the winter we had this year. i have never saw what i believe is a coyote "problem" where i hunt but was very suprised at the amount of sign today. amazing animals, i for one ADMIRE their skill and cunning.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
without food what would hols coyotes in an area??
Their den and mice, but you already have that answer. Our dogs love to hunt and eat mice.   :bigsmyl:  

Look for their den.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
yup...mice and voles.  i watched one from a stand catch either a mouse or a vole, and play with it before chomping it down.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
Sign is all I ever see.  They are amazing in how well they adapt to surburban living as well.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
One or two coyotes can make lots of tracks ect. They also have about 7-10 square miles for thier teritory. Well out here any ways. They might live there and hunt in other places. And they do eat lots of mice and vegies.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
I have a friend who has some really good dogs for running coyotes here in N.E. lower Michigan.

He tells me that it is quite common for coyotes to know ALL the best river crossings and all the best places in general, to loose dogs that are following them for DOZENS of miles in all directions from where they originally jumped them. He told me coyotes know VAST areas of land like we know our living room. The older the coyote, the more land they know. According to him, coyotes are familiar with areas of land so large nobody would ever believe. Always moving, always learning, always adapting.

In less than an hour, they can be in good hunting areas, and you can bet your favorite bow, that they KNOW exactly where the best areas are.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Like Michael in AZ, I've seen coyotes around here eating black/raspberries, apples, even corn. Like everyone has noted, they're real survivors.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I rolled up my seat pad for a few days and stuck it in the straps of my ladder stand to keep the snow and frost off.  when I returned I noticed a little bit of fluffy stuff sticking out.  Oh my, there were a lot of brown long tail things larger than deer mice, lots and lots of light brown mice things.  In my quiver, running up and down my body, all over the tree branches hanging on my string silencers, lots and lots of mice, a lot of mice. I hate that ladder stand. Funny thing is i have never seen this particular breed before.  there is a lot more rodents than we are aware of I think, especially in grassy areas. there was a controlled burn on one hill, it was covered with large ground squirrels and wood chucks after the burn, I never see them otherwise.  Oh yes, there is a huge pack running these same hills.  I think they do more damage to  the turkeys than the deer, but they have lots of rodents to eat as well.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Pavan, I did that once and had a flying squirrel in the pad when I went back. That was a real rush, when I pulled out the pad!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Yotes are scavengers eating everything. A few deer had to be tracked the next day due to arrowed at dark and rain set in and luckily only lost one to the yotes. they ate most of the hind quarters when found first light. Stand was close by and caught few of the yotes trying to finish that carcuss before the pack got to it that evening. 2 days just hair and bones.
...Mark

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
theres coyotes in NY   :confused:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers