3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: great northern longbow company  (Read 977 times)

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
great northern longbow company
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
hey guys, looking for a used longbow, it'll be my first.  found one of these for sale locally and am interested in it but i wanted to get your opinion on the company, the bowyer(s), and most of the all the bow.  its the traditional longbow model.  the gentlemen has sent me a pic and i'll try to post it.  looks like its 695 new, based on whats on the site.  if its possible to suggest what a fair price would be for this based on this model and the sellers description of it being in excellent shape, that would be helpful. thanks! here is the link.
   http://www.gnbco.com/

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: great northern longbow company
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
As far as the price I won't go there, as far as the bow....Great Northern is a stand up company with an excellent product with a loyal following. Great customer service and just good folks to deal with! Good solid hunting bows   :thumbsup:  !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
thank you ron

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Jerry Brumm makes a great bow.  I shoot one every day.  When it comes time to buy another bow, it will be a Great Northern as well.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I'm not sure what a fair price is but I have seen similar bows sell for $300-375.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Jerry makes a first  class bow, and is a heckuva good guy!

Eric

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
It seems that typically bows sell used for around 50-60% of new price if they are in very good to excellent condition.  I'm not sure why they don't bring more, but that seems to be about the ceiling unless they are a highly sought after bow.  Some will be posted above that range on the classifieds, but they tend to hang around a long time.  The bow and the bowyer are outstanding--no worry there.  GN bows have a solid reputation.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
The others have pretty well summed it up, GN and Jerry are both great.  Price is something that both parties will have to be happy with.  Good luck on your purchase.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
There is a reason they have been around a LONG time. The "broom handled bow" has a very nice shooting reputation back then (late 80's was my first) and still today. 66" 54# @ 28" That's a nice one.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
I have one and it's a great bow! Shoots a heavy arrow whisper quiet and fast for a straight limbed bow. It's named correctly as it is traditional in style.

JCJ if you see anoother one for $300-$375, let me know will you? I doubt very seriously you can find such a high quality handmade bow for that.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
Biggie:

A 64" Gritter Gitter just sold for $325 over on Stickbow. The one that Double A is considering is listed for $375. Last month a new condition Bushbow with Spalted Pecan veneers sold for $325. IF you are a lefty, the Footed Shaft had an Original and may still have it, for $295.

So, they are out there if you keep your eye's peeled.

JCJ

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
If you find a bow that looks as basic as a GN but performs better than any fancy bow, let me know.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Guys thanks a ton.  What are the characterostics of this model from a design perspective? I have been told that other bows from gn are more sought after, which ones and how come?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
For my money the Critter Gitter Special is a smooth hard hitting longbow.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by JCJ:
Biggie:

A 64" Gritter Gitter just sold for $325 over on Stickbow. The one that Double A is considering is listed for $375. Last month a new condition Bushbow with Spalted Pecan veneers sold for $325. IF you are a lefty, the Footed Shaft had an Original and may still have it, for $295.

So, they are out there if you keep your eye's peeled.

JCJ
What JCJ said. I've only been on here a couple years but they seem to pop up often and around the $300 mark.

Good bows. I don't own one but shoot the same style and spent a lot of time at Kzoo with all of their models. I'm set for longbows but wouldn't hesitate to pick up a used one. I love a good broom-handled bow.

Have you ever shot one?
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Are there distinct disadvantages to this model?

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Negatives, none but it may be perceived as being too simple in looks, trust it lives up to KISS principle perfectly. Keep in mind you have to enjoy shooting longbows with broomhandle grips.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Jerry makes a great bow.  I had a super ghost, and let it go.  I wish I had it back sometimes. Smoooooth drawing bows.
How reasonable the price is, is between you and the seller.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
The only real negative might be that the Traditional design requires a longer bow for the same draw.  My Bushbow is 62".  With the Traditional I would have ordered 66".  They tend to be a little slower in cast compared to a more r/d design, but that is not always the case.  The plus is they are a very stable, consistent, and forgiving. There is just something addictive to shooting straight limb or very moderate r/d designs.  

Jerry makes great bows that are solid, functional, and bomb proof. Can't go wrong with one new or used.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©