3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you could redo one shot which one would it be?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you could redo one shot which one would it be?
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Last year. A nice buck walked right in from my blind side (you know, the direction their NOT suppose to come from). He had a destination in mind cause he was walkin at a brisk pace. I scrambled for the bow and actually was able to stop him at about 25 yds with a very poor imitation of a doe bleat. My rushed shot went perfectly under his chest.

I was able to take a doe about a half hour later and am extremley thankful to the huntin gods for that but the sight of my arrow passing under his chest and him trottin away will stay with me.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
The first deer, a PY caliber white-tail, I shot at as a Left-Handed shooter in 1997. As a RH shooter with left dominant eye I always closed the left eye to shoot. When I switched to LH shooting I began shooting with both eyes open. This buck traveled a fenceline, jumped to my side and walked within 15 yards of my tree. I shot about 12" to the right of where I was looking--into the dirt in front of the buck. After he walked off I tried another shot to see what happened -- I closed the left eye -- oops.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I cant even talk about it 380 at 15yds
The older I get the better I was

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
10 pt. two years ago during the rut. Was coming to engage another buck coming from the other direction but not yet visible. This dark horned marsh buck offered me a 10 yd broadside shot and completely unaware of my presence. I didn't focus on the spot, shot about 8"s high. still though I got offside lung. Jumped him at 75yds after 2hr. wait, lot's of blood both sides. Two days of searching never found him. Maybe only 1" lower and he would have been down. Think about it all the time but has helped me focus since then.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
My biggest buck to date, last year two days before gun season Nov 14th, grunted him in to 18 yards in a tree didnt bend at the waist just too high and never found him. (140-150 CLASS)It still haunt's me, ruined the rest of the season. Talk about taking the wind out of your sail.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Elk whisperer:
I cant even talk about it 380 at 15yds
:eek:  

That one would be tough to think about I tell ya...tough!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
my first year of traditional hunting.  My college roommate and I were doing a nudge through a big crp field.  We had this deer figured out and flipped a coin to see who got to nudge and who got to shoot.  I won.  I nestled up against a large oak tree and waited.  About ten minutes he came lopeing around the end of the of finger and right into my lap.  He caught me draw and started to bolt past me.  I swung and had the windage perfect but just shot right under him at about 8 yards.  I wanted to puke.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I have taken exactly one reverse cant shot on a deer and man do I wish I could get a mulligan.  Well, really I wish I had practiced that shot more.

It was my first time sitting on a tripod stand.  A small bodied 14 point buck I had seen the previous two days from the ground presented a shot.  But somehow I managed to get the pants of my ASAT 3D suit snagged and I couldn't turn to take a shot.  The platform of the tripod was too small for me to stand on so I was confined to the swivel chair.  So I waited and the buck circled around me and I was able to twist my body far enough around for a reverse cant shot.  Which I promply buried in the ground about an inch behind his front hoof.

The next day a 13 year old kid shot him with a 30-30.

Reverse cant?  More like reverse can't for me.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline stepinbak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by treetoppredator:
It was the one that i never let go, on the biggest buck I've ever had infront of me! He was broadside 30 yards, but, if he followed the other deer infront of him he was soon to give me a 15 yard quartering away shot!  Guess what, he didn't, from that point on he only got further away.  I snort wheezed, grunted, rattled, took a whole week off of work and hunted 7 days straight in the same general area and never laid eyes on the deer again! Should of let it fly!  As my dad says "you can't kill'em if ya don't shoot!"   :banghead:  
but you can wound em' if you do!  if you were comfortable shooting him at 30 yards you probably would have. imagine how bad you would have felt if u took the shot at 30 and paunched him. imo u did the right thing.   :clapper:  

gr8 thread
if vegetarians love animals so much why do they eat all their food?

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Veterans Day 2001, I had the opportunity to hunt a property due to an injury to the gentlemen who normally hunted it. It is now one of my properties. First time in and only going by a hand drawn map, I walk in at 1:15 and after a bit find the stand marked on the map. Just climbed up got settled in and turn to see 2 fawns scoot across a field in a bottom 150 yards away, they were running scared, next out comes a big doe and she is looking back. Behind her comes a 140" ten pt., she does some zig-zagging and loses the big guy. I take out the grunt and hit hard and loud!! I know he hears it and starts to come but I lose him ashe is crossing a creek about 100 yards away. Next thing I know he is 25 yards below me and peaking over an edge looking for the source of the grunt, I hit the grunt again and here he comes, at 21 yards I let it go, right over his back. He runs out to 50 yards and I grunt him again and to my amazement comes back, this time to about 25, you guessed it!! I missed again, still sick about it to this day!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
It would be the 10pt. I shot over in '07.He was about 10 yds and it was a steep shot from a treestand and I didn't pick a spot or looked at the top of his back at the last second.Better a clean miss than a bad hit but I still kick myself.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Started trad this past season.  Only have one shot on game under my belt, and it's a re-do.

Watched an amazing scenario of predator and prey unfold before my eyes one AM with a coyote busting up 3 turkey and chasing off two deer that were headed my way.

The coyote came right up the path toward me.  I figured I'd give it a whirl.  I let go on a quartering toward me shot while he was on the move.  My arrow struck a branch and the rest is history.  Had I waited he would've likely made a turn and been broadside at less than 10 yards.  Made a novice / nervous mistake and rushed the opportunity.  That entire AM was amazing.

A couple of weeks later my wife had her first ever shot opportunity using any type of weapon.  She had a K-mag in hand and the arrow fell off the shelf on an 8pt at 17 yards.  That's her re-do.  That was awesom though too.  We were together in a blind that AM and he just appeared.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Hmmm there are several I would redo if I could.

Last year there was the shot of a life time that did not work out. Twelve point perfect angle...very close range...I picked a spot everything seemed perfect.  

I was using a new arrow holder with an Easton Axis and it on my RER.  I picked a spot drew back and the arrow holder would not turn loose of the arrow.  

I like to use arrow holders on bows in Missouri because the wind can pick up just about any time...it's nice to have the bow hanging next to me with the arrow on the shelf.  But I learned a lesson the hard way and from now on now will always take the holder part off the arrow before I draw.

When I told my husband he couldn't believe it until I showed him.  This arrow holder was rated for small carbons too.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Ronyag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
The shot at the 170" + this season at 20 yards. Side hill to side hill, miss judged the range and shot over his back. Was a real heartbreaker! That is a really tough shot for me.
RG

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Only shot at one deer so far and its a redo.She came in and at 20 yards I let go only to see her run off with my arrow.Its amazing how much slower a arrow from a longbow is compared to a compound.But I would rather be shooting my longbow or recurve anytime now.Sold my compound and went all trad.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
two years ago I shot a 6x6 elk in the shoulder blade at 5 yards out of a tree stand (10 high).  If I could do that one over I'd aim about 4 inches lower.  (or just have him stand there and take it like a man instead of all that string jumping crap)
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
McAlester ammo depot,170 class 12 point at 8 yards,bottom limb tip hit tree limb still wake up in middle of night SCREAMING
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
2 years ago I spent a couple months patterning this buck day only to miss him opening day first sit in the tree... 12yds right over his back!!!

I sure would liked to have that shot to do over again  :knothead:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Last Fall I was sneaking into my favorite spot and bumped some quail. They flew away into the direction I was headed and I should have stayed put for 15-20 minutes and let things settle down. I didn't and within 50 yards I saw a beautiful buck who was looking dead at me and he bolted before I could even get an arrow drawn back. The quail had alerted him and he busted me big time. I can't help but think if I would have been more patient and waited a bit, I could have snuck in and seen him first. that's why they call it "Hunting" and not "Getting". Still an amazing and rewarding sight to see, so like anytime in the field it was a "Great Day".

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
5x5 bull at 27 yards.....sheesh. I take that shot back every day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©