3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mystery Ranch pack  (Read 323 times)

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mystery Ranch pack
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
To those of you who have the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, what accessories do you recommend getting with it?  I'm looking at this pack for elk hunting and also hauling treestands around and packing deer and hogs out of the swamp.  Also, overall, what is your opinion of this pack?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mystery Ranch pack
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I like the zippered pockets on the waist belt.  They have a strap kit that would be nice, but I can't think of anything else a guy would need with it.  It is a very versitile pack and it will haul anything.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
Unless you are going to do a full on backpack hunt for 10 days I'd get just the pack with the upgraded waist belt as mentioned.  Dang thing is made for hauling.

I got the lid too but haven't needed it yet.  Also some mixed size dry bags can Replace the load cells.

Awesome pack that seems to be bombproof.  I love mine...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I have the 6500 and the load sling.  Love the sling for hauling my climbing stand around the deer woods and the pack performed well on my 7 day backpack elk trip to CO last fall.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Too expensive but bad ass.....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I just picked up a used lid for my crew cab. You might need it if you went elk hunting.

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
The only accessory that I would recomend would be the upgraded waist belt.  It's great for holding a camera, snacks, compass, etc.

Just remember that if you do purchase the Crew Cab, you'll already have the NICE frame so you can just buy another bag to swap to.  Not only does it give you added versitility, you already have the frame sized to fit you.

I originally got the 6500 with the upgraded waist belt.  Great pack, comfortable to wear for long hikes deep into the wilderness.  A bit too big for weekend trips so I've since gotten the Crew Cab.  As I already had the NICE frame all I had to do was purchase the bag only.  I've used the Crew Cab for weekend trips and I also use it as a day pack.  Again, an excellent pack.  Having both bags, I can set it up to fit the hunt: 6500 with or without Top, Crew Cab with or without Top.  And the Top also dooubles as a day pack.  Although I haven't used it for that yet...
-Mack

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Yep...  What those guys said.  Waist band only.  Maybe a lid, but I never use one.  The fold out side panels are usually all I need for stuff when packing gear or meat.  I sometimes load with dry bags and Outdoor Research pack cells, but mostly just use as is.  THAT PACK is the best thing since sliced bread and I've owned quite a few.  

Jeff

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Great pack, I've had mine for 3 seasons now and find I don't use the lid too much, but I do use the extra cells.  This pack is part of me, I love it.

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
I more or less like the lid for day use alone (though it's not real comfortable).  I did buy a couple of pockets for the waist belt and some light dry bags from Cabelas and somewhere more ultralight, but that's it.  The truth is, a number of people here simplify the Crew Cab by cutting off the side pockets to save the weight.  Mark Seacat, who works for MR, did that to his and advises it.  Some cut them off and add zippers to give them the option for reattachment.  Great rig, especially if you will be hauling meat, but it's heavy.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I love my MR!!!! To me the Wolfpack offered the best of both worlds. It breaks down to several 'small' packs., or 1 huge one if you need it

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
No way would I cut off my side pockets!  Just tonight I loaded my Double Bull and Huntmore chair in the main compartment so I would not have to do it at 4am.  Those side pockets and the rear hold everything else I need for a comfy day in the blind.

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Read that also about cutting off the side pockets and replacing with zippers.  Looked like a good idea.
I went the cheaper route with a Kelty Cache Hauler for now.  Hope to upgrade to the MR CC in the next year or so.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Steve that's gonna be fun schlepping that setup...........been there done that! I guess with a MR it won't be too bad.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©