3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SBD strings and the Cari-bow Peregrine.... WOW!  (Read 437 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
SBD strings and the Cari-bow Peregrine.... WOW!
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Hello guys,

despite of my lumbago I just had to know how my Cari-Bow Peregrine would perform with my brandnew SBD ultra skinny string..... especially because I finished my new arrows.

Let me tell you:

-  The string material:
Since I have a drawweight of 45LBS, I ordered a ultra skinny string, consisting out of 6 strands only. These strings are suitable for all bows till 53 lbs.
The string material is BCY D-10, which is 100% dyneema. (SK-78), it is 20% stronger than SK-75(Dyna Flight 97), high in abrasion resistance and has less creep.
As with all SBD strings, it is tapered padded with B-50 in the loop area, I think it starts with 16 strands and slighty goes over in the 6 strands. The loops, padding and tapering is done perfectly. The thick loops assure you you can't damage your tips.
As the serving concerns, SBD has experimented with various serving materials and have found that Brownells Crown serving provide the best release in all weather conditions.SBD strings are served to .110" diameter, which is an excellent fit for Bohning Signature, Carbon Express, and Gold Tip, and many other nocks. Well, the serving is done perfectly!

- The fit and craftmanship:
I gave Pierre all the dimensions of my bow he needed. He makes the string exactly to your specifications. The fit is superb, the under loop fits like a glove over the lower limb. No need for a stringholder here! It fits that precise, that I was afraid the loop was too small, but is fits just scarey perfect.

-The shooting, speed, accuracy and how silent are SBD strings really?
Due to my bad back, I shoot today in my garden only. It's a small garden so I was shooting at a distance of 10 yards only. I had the same experience as with my other longbow and a SBD string: the Peregrine has a silken smooth draw already, but I have the feeling that the string gives you even a smoother draw. This can be me, but it feels like that. The Peregrine is already amazingly quiet in the hand, but with the SBD string it is really dead-quiet.

Speed: I don't have a chrony, but let me tell you this: I was shooting on a pack which consists out of 16 glued layers of high energy absorbing foam. Together it is 10 inch thick and rather new, so it is capable of absorbing LOTS of energy.
Everytime my arrows (with fieldpoints, NO broadheads here) penetrated the pack completely. The points were sticking out on the backside and I had severe trouble to get them out. The speed is amazing!

Accuracy: at this distance my arrows were hitting each other every time. The inner circle with a diameter of 2 inches was no match, every arrow dead-center. As a matter of fact: I started to force myself to aim each arrow at another spot, in order to save my new hand-made self-build arrows. So really deadly accurate!

Silent: forget about your string silencers! No need for that; all you hear is the arrow leaving the bow. Spookey silent.

Creep:
A few days ago I put the string on and it was on a 7.5 inch brace-height. I left the bow strung and after a few hours it was on a perfect 7.25 and stayed there. So I installed the nock on 9/16 and unstrunged the bow. Today it was a little bit higher, but after a few shots it was on the perfect 7.25 and stayed there. So the creep is very low.

Any downsides?
At the moment SBD has a delivery time of 2-3 weeks due to the high demand, but they are working on that. That's why I ordered two!

This was a smokin' experience! The Peregrine is great bow already and Abe delivers them already with an outstanding skinny string.  

But I honestly feel that with a SBD string it performs even better. Dead-quiet in the hand, no creep, smokin' fast and spooky silent!

This is a deadly combo, highly recommended!

Update:

After some shooting the serving got some wear and becomes too thin for the standard Goldtip nocks. This is easily solved by putting a thin serving of dental floss over the original serving. Only a five minuts job.
For the plastic nocks on wood, the original serving is just perfect
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SBD strings and the Cari-bow Peregrine.... WOW!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Thanks for the SBD details.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I had similar results with my tip.I got the black puff silencers installed and the black wraps on the ends for recurves.Really quiet and feels like you say, even smoother when you draw.
see

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
my FF bows will all have SBD strings on them. works so nice on my beeler and are deffinatly well made
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
see, you are the first one who experiences also that SBD strings give a smoother draw. I thought it was just me....
I am curious if there are more?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
very detailed and much appreciated i can't wait to get one for my RER xr!

Offline Ronyag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
I had the same results with my Hawkeye. I plan on ordering more for my other bows soon.
RG

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I just put one of his 8 strands strings on my Cascade and am very happy with out come!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Flyinokra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Has anyone tried one of these strings on a Hitman custom?
Dryad Epic 58"  47@28

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flyinokra:
Has anyone tried one of these strings on a Hitman custom?
I have, what do you want to know?

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
You are right Pierre does an awesome job and great to deal with. I have two of his strings, 1 on a shrew 51# and the other on a Pronghorn 58# and they are awesome. Very fast and quiet. SBD strings are great and I will own more of them.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
You are right, they are also great people to deal with!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »
I just took delivery of a 6 Str. SBD skinny string for my longbow and I have to say my impressions and experience were exactly like yours Ad.  Extremely happy with the quiet factor and performance.  Plus Pierre's a great guy to deal with.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Anybody looking for a 6 strand for a 62" recurve..58" string,  hit me up.  I ordered the wrong length.

Offline Bobby Castello

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
Put one on my Peregrine and my Lost Creek Life Ender with the same results. Very quiet and smokes an arrow! I could not believe the change in performace with just a string change. I'll be ordering one for my Tree Stick and an extra for
my Peregrine and Life Ender. Great strings!!
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Nice you guys have the same experiences!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
See my update in the first post...
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Does anyone have chrono data showing the actual speed increase of going from a standard to a skinny string?
BD

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
It depends on what you call a standard string. It also depends of the bow. Generally spoken, if you go from 16 to six strands, with, lets say a 45lbs modern glass laminated R/D bow, you can expect as much as 10 fps.

If you go from 12 to 8 strands it will be something like 4 fps.

We checked it with a chrony at a shooting farm, but like I told, it depends of the bow, bowweight and even archer!

On their site SBD speaks from between 3 to 11 fps benefit and that's exactly what we found out.
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
The important thing to me is, a skinny string is definitely quieter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©