3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Has this happened to you???? (friends bow blew up)  (Read 680 times)

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Has this happened to you???? (friends bow blew up)
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
Yesterday at a 3D shoot we were talking to a gentleman about a Centrar that he got a few months ago and so he says "here, shoot it". So my dad picks up his nice $800 bow and nocks an arrow, begins to draw it and my dad gets it back about 26"-27" and POW, the bottom limb breaks just above the tip. And there's carbon and wood flapping around. Fortunately the he watched my dad do it and saw that he did nothing wrong, and assured us that it was guaranteed. Does anyone have an idea why this happened??

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Has this happened to you???? (friends bow blew up)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
MAJOR BUMMER!!  :scared:   I feel Sorry for All involved, BUT Nobody got Hurt, at least thats what I get from your Post!
   Gremlins. The Sneaky Archery Gremlins Did it! Or it could have been Poor Workmanship, or a List of Many Other Possibilities.   :readit:  
    It would be Interesting on How the Dealer Handles it, and what Really Did cause the Boo-Boo to begin with.  :confused:  
        Glad Nobody got Hurt Though!! Live to Shoot Another Day!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
The possibility for that to happen with any bow exists (IMO).  I would'nt pass judgement on the bow or bowyer from one isolated instance.  Good nobody was injured, the bow can be replaced.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Bows are made from wood and glue...the possibility of it happening is always there.

Good that your Dad came out without any lumps.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
i had a selfbow go on me not so long ago not a good look but these things happen.  :scared:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Have had 2 bows blow up in 15 years.On one the top limb almost broke in half at full draw.On another it broke in half at the throat of grip.once again at full draw.I wouldnt blame the bowyer.All the top bowyers IMO try to assemble the best product they can.Some variables are out of their control.Like material failures etc.One of the bows was replaced with no charge and even had some upgrades put on it.Compensation for the huge knot on my forehead.It was worth it LOL

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
Happened to me once in a 62# bow. The buf horn tip sheered off and took some lim lam with it. I confess it is pretty scary when that happens! the company sent me a new set, no hassles. It could happene with any bow-even one made with manmade materials.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
I was with Bill Price (bowyer)in Oregon at a shoot....
    While we where on the practic range he had me try one of his Pyramid style self bows, and after I shot it a few times it made a tic sound and I looked at him worried and he said he thought it was the guy next to me, So I pulled back again and at full draw the bow literly exploded pieces went everywhere, He laughed and told me to try another one....
    It's definetly a wierd feeling when a bow goes in your hands....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Had 3 Bear Super Kodiaks in row break at the limb fadeouts.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Back in my dark era I had two different wheel bow limbs come apart on me, that is why I am a strictily a selfbow shooter today. Break a limb, make another bow, no problem, no companys to deal with.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Had a Coco Bolo bamboo backed bow blow on me at 25" on the tiller tree today.  It's a bummer when it happens but you have to get back on the horse.

Dan Raney
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I recently had a lower limb delaminate as I got to full draw on a bow from a top notch bowyer. His evaluation was a weakness in both the lamination and in the glue. Said it could also have been affected by the string groves being cut too deep. He is in the process af making me new limbs but it is taking some time - been a little over a month. Hope it's not too much longer.
MikeM

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
Back in the '80s, had a Bear Alaskan compound riser blow/explode! I think it was magnesium.

Scared me good. Had a quiver full of razor heads on the bow too. They went everywhere. The top limb knocked my hat over my eyes and stunned me. I thought I was blinded...ha.
I like wood, glass, or carbon, laminates, now.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
got beat up by an ash self bow i was building 2 years ago. when she went i was left holding about a 12" section of the riser/handle. the top limb struck me on top of the head and as i came too i felt the blood trickling down my face. the bow was in 7 pieces scattered around the yard. wood was to dry...
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline JIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
had an old pearson recurve explode at full draw i don't think anyone can be prepared for these unexpected events.

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
I've had two bows explode on me both of them at full draw. I heard a very light tick on the draw before they  blew. If I ever hear that tick again the bow won't be drawn another time. Both times I was hurt but not seriously. Quite a rush. Frank

Offline JIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
6 point, mine made that same sound  tick.boom! ten years ago and i still cringe.

Offline Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
All of these posts sound like good reason to wear a hat and maybe even safety glasses when shooting.  

Getting hit on the noggin with a piece of bow limb just sounds painful.   :eek:
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Glad to hear no one was hurt. I have seen bows break, recurves, compounds mostly. Back in the mid70`s when the compounds used cast mag. handles it was not a question of if it was when on some brands of bows. I had one break a cable. Almost as bad as an accidental discharge with an M-16 rifle. I too went back to a recurve shortly after that happened.

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
When I shot compounds I was adjusting the tiller and had the bottom limb bolt strip out of the riser and blew apart in my lap!!!!!!!!!! Sounded like a .38 going off. It sent the limb bolt over my 1.5 yr olds head. Luckly we both came out of it without a bump.
FEAR NOTHING

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©