3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KISA Armguard  (Read 231 times)

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
KISA Armguard
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I was just looking at 3Rivers Archery on-line catalog and notice they're selling the KISA armguard. That's about the finest armguard ever devised, in my opnion. Any of you folks use the KISA? Maybe Lee Robinson of Protege Longbows (formerly Lee of Keep It Simple Archery) can tell us about its comeback. Clint

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KISA Armguard
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
I have only had a 'Kisa' for a short time so the jury is still out. I like the design. My skill level must be poor since I don't find it that easy to put on and keep snug. Don't believe I could get on over heavy clothing. I know I don't like it over a bare arm. The Kisa continually slides down my arm. That is not a concern since I don't use an arm guard when shooting in short sleeves.

Found it beneficial to tie the leather ends in a knot to prevent the leather lace from slipping thru the leather washer.

I am interested to see if others are having success with the 'Kisa'.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Friend, I got mine from KISA several years ago. I just pull the leather to tighten up the cuff around my arm, then slide the leather washer down until snug, then tuck the ends of the lace under the tightened lacing to hold it in place. I've never had a problem with it going slack. The photo on 3Rivers site looks like the same item. Clint

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »
Clint B., We seem to be using the same technique with exception of tucking the ends of the lace under the tightened lacing to hold it in place.

I will give a go today.

Thank you!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Lee from Protege made my son & I both KISA armguards many years ago.Both are still in use,especially mine.I like it better than any other that I had tried.This is the only one I even own now.
John

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
Just spoke to Lee & he didn't know they were back on the market. It was news to him. He said it was flatteering to see his product was still around.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
I had NO IDEA my armguard design was back on the market...and with my KISA name. WOW.

One might think I would be upset about it, but I am not. I have seen many people copy it that had no rights to it, and while I never copy right protected the original KISA design and couldn't do anything about that...when we closed Keep It Simple Archery, we sold that original KISA plain armguard design to someone who I thought was interested in producing it...so I HOPE that 3 River's "KISA" armguard has something to do with that gentleman. It looks more like mine than any of the other copies I have seen...and they are using the KISA name, which I came up with from our business (Keep It Simple Archery). What puzzles me is there were 3 sizes...large, medium, and small. It appears as if they are only selling the medium one and not offering all the sizes...which is a mistake IMO. Also, as "Friend" suggested, the "tails" of the lace are supposed to be connected so the washer does NOT slide off. This can be done by either tying them together in a knot, or more desirably serving them together with some durable serving material such as spectra or #62 braid. When you tie a knot in the lace, it makes it more difficult to tuck the excess strap under the wrist. If you serve the tails together, the washer will stay on and you can more easily tuck the lacing under the wrist. I also offered the armguard with an antler barrel.

I did keep my newer armguard design which has a slightly different cut and a different ventilation pattern and it also has an optional compass attached to it, but I am not selling it at this time...and don't have any plans of doing so in the future as I have to be careful not to over-extend myself. I guess that I learned a lot about business since my first go round...discovering that I should only sell what I produce. I am better off only selling items I make.

Of the items produced, the KISA (Keep It Simple Archery) armguard was one of my most popular, most demanded, and succussful items...that along with our backquivers and bowstrings.  Carrying all the other stuff in my inventory was my only mistake the first time around. I won't make that mistake this time...and will stick to only selling items I produce.

In closure, I hope 3 Rivers is getting that armguard from the guy that bought my original cutting dies.

Friend,

Put some mink oil on the lace and in the tunnels...and keep doing so until both the armguard and the lace is really soft. It will be slimy while you are doing it, but once you are done doing it it will be much better and you can wipe the excess off. Mink oil it a few times the first year and then thereafter only once a year is all that will be needed for it to last a lifetime. That will help. The good thing about the armguard is the more you use it, the better it gets and the easier it is to put on and off. I would like to ask...did they keep the lace a full 1/4" wide? I hope so.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
Protege Longbows- Thank you much for the tip and I will follow your insructions.

The lace is 3/16"

I seem to continully pull the lace thru the leather washer and find myself routinely rethreading it.

Actually, I prefer not to wear an armguard unless shooting with long sleeves or heavy clothing. Since I am on coumadin, a seemingly light touch that I didn't even acknowledge turns into a major bruise. I may be finding myself using an armguard during every shooting session.

By the way - Very nice design!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Something that will help with putting it on is pull the strap so about 2/3rds of it is in the wrist and 1/3rd is at the elbow...then grab each side and "open" it up. Put your arm in and then cinch it up. Tuck the excess under the wrist strap so your bowstring doesn't hit it.

Then to take it off, slide the washer to the serving (if you serve the ends together), grab the lace at the wrist and pull about 2/3rds of it forward, and then grab one side of the armguard at the center between the tunnels and pull it open. If it is oiled it should open easily. If it is not oiled it will pull hair.

3/16" is fine for the strap. I would be disappointed though if they went down to 1/8th though as that will break too easily.

Above I said I learned to only sell items I make...that was because I could have $30,000 worth of gloves, shafts, nocks, feathers feathers and more feathers, broadheads, bowfishing stuff and other accessories and still not have everything someone needed. And I would end up losing money on many of those things. What kept KISA in business was my armguards, quivers, and bowstrings...so this time around I will be "Keeping It (even more) Simple."
Lee

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
Protege Longbows - Thanks again for the advice. Was planning to use a small wire tie, but serving sounds cleaner.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Lee, I had no idea you didn't know about the new KISA armguard when I started this thread. Otherwise, I would've PMed you when I first saw it on the 3Rivers website. I just assumed you were involved with it, either making it yourself or you sold the rights to make it. After all, it is your armguard design and your company name. Clint

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
BTW, in my opinion, the E. W. Bateman and the Steven Catts copies are nice but they don't equal the KISA in functionality or good looks.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Earlier I wrote, "when we closed Keep It Simple Archery, we sold that original cutting dies for the older armguard design to someone who I thought was interested in producing it...so I HOPE that 3 River's "KISA" armguard has something to do with that gentleman.

As long as 3 Rivers is dealing with the guy I sold it to, I have no beef with them selling the item as it would be legitimate and I would wish them well with the item. I would only be disappointed if it was a copy, as they are using my "KISA" (Keep It Simple Archery) name to sell my design. I still have the KISA name.
Lee

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Still have mine made by Lee. I never liked the leather strap though and replaced it with elastic cords and one of those button sliders. Quick on and off and stays on much easier without sliding with the shock cord. When I couldn't find KISA on the web anymore, we made our own using his design. Our local boot maker sewed them with his sutler sewing machine for $5. With thick leather from a leather outlet, these were $10 killer armguards...a lot of time we punched holes writing the name of the owner etc. Thanks Lee for this design.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Friend, Did you get yours from 3R? If so please give me a measurement lengthwise? On their web they don't give length.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
Check their question and answer section. I think it was 6 3/4" long.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
For the record...I received notification today that the gentleman that is supplying the original KISA armguard to 3 Rivers is indeed the gentleman I sold the original dies to.

I wanted to clarify this so no one would be mislead by any previous discussion on this matter.

Again, I wish him well with the product.
Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©