3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snuffer Tamer??? NEED HELP!  (Read 202 times)

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Snuffer Tamer??? NEED HELP!
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Hi guys I have a bunch of snuffers, I just need to know how to sharpen them. I tried the file thing but didn't work, have you guys ever tried the snuffer tamer? any help or advise would be appreiacted. THANKS

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snuffer Tamer??? NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
if you type "sharpening snuffers" into the search function on the site here, you will find a ton of info on sharpening snuffers.    :thumbsup:
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Snuffer tamer works like a charm.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
If the wide file (two blades on file at once) didn't work it's probably because you were using too much pressure.

Use file until you have a burr then remove burr with a few (and I mean just a few) LIGHT strokes on a crock stick or fine diamond stick.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
I used to use the Tamer but now use Charlie's method (above) with excellent results
(and it's a lot faster).
The Snuffer Tamer does work very well but requires changing the bevel angle which takes some work.They do get scary sharp with either method.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I tried the Snuffer Tamer but went back to sharpening on a flat stone. The Tamer changes the angle, so I wasn't confident that I could resharpen them properly on a hunt without the Tamer at hand. I would have also had to rework the angle on ALL my Snuffers, which would have been a big job. Just lazy I guess, but I've been perfectly satisfied with their performance when sharpened on the flat stone.

I use what I call a "10 factorial" process. I push them across the stone 10 times with pretty good pressure, rotating and repeating until all edges have been worked. Then I do it 9 times on each side, then 8, etc. with progressively lighter pressure until the last few turns are with very light pressure. I then strop on leather and at that point they should shave.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©