3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern or Kanati Quiver  (Read 456 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern or Kanati Quiver
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
So I have finally saved up enough money to order a bow quiver.  I have narrowed it down to Anneewakee Kanati Angle Pro or the Great Northern Quick detatch.

I have already done the search and there is a ton of info on both. I know that Jon is a sponser and good guy to deal with based on comments here on Tradgang.

I am leaning toward the limb bolt Kanati angle quiver, but I like the 1 piece quick detach idea of the Great Northern. I also like the fact that it uses rubber inside the hood (at least I believe it does).

Here are some questions;

1. Does the rubber make the Great Northern significantly heavier?

2. Since I have never used a bow quiver before; Is the angle quiver THAT important for getting the fletching more in line with the bow?

3. For those of you who already use bow quivers, do you remove them often?

Thanks for your input! I want to get this ordered tomorrow or Friday to get it set up for a shoot the following weekend.

:archer:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Northern or Kanati Quiver
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
I can only speak for the Great Northern.  I have 2 of them: a strap on; and a quick detach.  I love both, and each one has it's place.  The quick detach does a fantastic job of keeing the arrows inline with my RER LXR (I had a Selway limb bolt quiver, and just didn't like the way the arrows were aligned with the bow), and I always remove my quiver once at my destination.  Their website says the quiver weighs 7 ounces I believe, add that to your 5 arrows, and it could be a significan amount, but you need to carry the arrows somehow, and I believe the added weight is a good counterbalance when shooting with the quiver attached to the bow keeping it much steadier.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I have great northern and love it. there light weight quiet and in my opinion the best out there. i have to admit though i havnt tried the kanati. good luck with whatever you choose
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I just received my Kanati pro and quality is awsome,hope it helps you.Good luck.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I have had 2 GN's.  I did like them alot.  But I had a problem with the strap on one that I had,  on a short bow....the wires of the quiver would slip and re-arrange with the limbs flexing.  After enough of this,  the black rubber connector allowing the adjustability of the quiver,  got kinda worn out and didnt hold the wires in place anymore. Sold both GNs,  the strap mounter and the thumb screw model for a Bear SK.  So I was on a quest for a quiver that had no pieces connecting the hood and arrow holder....in order to defeat the limb angles of the short recurve.  After poking around a bit, I took my chances with the Kanati.....BOY AM I GLAD I DID!  PHEW, WHAT A QUIVER! Thats what I use now....have 2 of them,  both  2 piece pro mounts,  that mount with the straps.  Once the Kanati pieces are mounted,  you can rotate the stiffly put together hood and arrow holder to whatever angle you want....this is huge!   The mounting system Mr. Dill is using is the bomb!  You gotta see one up close and personal to see just what Im talking about.  Lastly,  the looks....they simply look fantastic.  Im not sure of the weight...if I did see it somewhere,  I forgot what it was.  And you would too once you had one in your hand.  I also love having the arrows IN A ROW vs.STACKED!  The GNs are stacked.  When stacked,  those 2 arrows in the back closest to the riser can be a bitch to remove without close calls of slicing up your riser or cutting the leather hood!  This is really what I didnt like about the GN the most.  Both light,  both quality,  both very functional.....but my vote goes to he Kanati hands down  :thumbsup:  !

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I've never liked the great northern because I could feel it vibrate when I shot my bow.  Didn't like it at all.

Love my Kanati Angle pro.  Shot it yesterday for the first time and it balances the bow very well and is rock solid.  Love it!!!
justin ammons

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I do love the angle idea on the Kanati.Very good well thought out quiver.i thought when i got a quiver i would take it off when i shot but i leave it on always now.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Have GNs on all my Widows & Lees.Have tried them all and sold them all.For me GNs are the best!!
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
My preference would be the Kanati. I have the angle pro with the FDS straps and it works great. I shoot short bows and being able to adjust the angle is worth its weight in gold! There is a lot of situations that come up where it keeps your arrows from getting torn up or being in the way.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
I have both and they are both quality quivers. Just a matter of personal preference.
bolong

Offline kadiak kid...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
i have had about six types of strap on quivers and finally realized the two pc. limb quivers are nothing but a fancy kwikeekwiver of the sixties...i just got a great northern adjustable 1 pc. quiver...it solved all the slippage and arrows falling out i had with all the rest...i was very reluctant at spending a 100$ total for a bow quiver...but i finally did and thats the only problem i see is the price...i am sure though a bolt type quiver is solid and the arrows will stay in it also...but i can say i am very pleased with the great northern adjustable bow quiver...
Cya at Deer Camp(WN)...

Offline woodcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I think we have seven Kanati quivers in the house now, two piece, angle pro, slim jim's and have them on everything from takedowns to short longbows to long and short one-piece recurves and I have no complaints whatsoever.  They are well made, thoughtfully designed and good looking to boot!  Hope this helps. p.s. The boys and I never take them off the bows
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 56@28
Bob Lee "junk yard" bow

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I have the Kanati limb bolt mount quiver on my recurve (Toelke)and it is fantastic!! works great and no vibration at all.. Haven't used their strapon's so I can't comment on them.. the quality is #1.. Love em...
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Ya I have 2 Kanatis
My son has a GN but its a strap on and he has to buy new straps every year (they strech and wear out)
If your goin with a limb bolt model one is as good as another
But I like the Kanati for quality
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Last week I overhauled my GN strap-on longbow quiver. It had a noisy vibration when I released.

First thing I did was finish tearing off the plastic glued on part of the hood foam. It was loose and never did really grip the arrow well.

The hood is held to the wire with three zip ties that were not tight at all. I crammed leather strips into the zip ties to take up the slack.

Then I ran a wood screw into the metal guard through the back of the hood. The protective guard was just sitting in there flopping around with each shot. Now it is good and snug.

What a difference! Now I have a quiet bow quiver that holds arrows well without noise.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Kanati all the way.  Another option would be the Big Jim Strap On quiver for $49.99.  I just bought 2 and love them.  Fit well and I really like the attachment.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Either one would be a good choice.  I have both and have hunted both.  They both weigh pretty much the same.  The quality of both is pretty much equal. If carrying five arrows is important, I would pick the Great Northern.  The 5 arrow Kanati hood is a bit of a monster.  For anything else, the Kanati would be my choice because it is rock solid and it's available in your choice of color.  Just a great performer and completely worry free.  

The Angle is a big plus if you're using a short bow and especially when hunting from the ground.  You will definitely notice the advantage.

I use a bow quiver when I want to be on the move. I don't take it off the bow. I want it to be solid and I don't want to be concerned with it. That's why I like the Kanati.  If I was going to take it off when I got where I was going, I wouldn't put it on in the first place.  I'd just use my Arrow Master.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline harvestmoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Timing is everthing sometimes...great thread as I am in the same buy decision.
Thanks all.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Be care full NOT to leave a Kanati  on your bow for a long time. I left my on a Morrison for a couple months and it imprinted the finish, now I have to refinish it.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Have used Great Northern for many years and have been satisfied,cannot speak for the other but have heard nothing but good about it
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©