3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nevada Regs.  (Read 158 times)

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
Nevada Regs.
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Does any body understand the Nevada regs? I should have gotten my deer tag last year but did not.  A friend said they give them to the outfitters first.  Is that true?  Thanks

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nevada Regs.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I'm not an expert on Nevada, but in a quick glance I don't see anything about outfitters receiving preference as is the case in some other states.  
Nevada has a bonus point program where having more points greatly increases (but never guarantees) the chance of drawing a tag.  They square your accumulated points, and the resulting number is the number of times your name goes in the hat.  For example, with three bonus points take 3x3= 9 bonus points, plus one for the current year means you had 10 chances to draw.  10 bonus points would be 10x10 = 100 + 1, or 101 chances to draw.  

The odds go up dramatically with more points, but nobody is guaranteed to draw a tag.  So a guy with no points has a chance, and if he is very lucky he might draw on the first try.  A guy with 10 points would have an extreme advantage, but if he is unlucky, he might sit at home again.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
They do have a draw for outfitters but in the general draw the more points you have the better your odds are of drawing. You may have thought you had enough points to draw a tag. It is not a guarantee you will draw just because you have X points. I have a friend who drew a n.r. elk tag several years ago with three points and the guys above him with 12,13 etc did not draw.

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks Whip, I had 3 points, last year it only took 2 pts. to get the tag.  I can't find were they publish how many points it took to get the tag this year.

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
helo, that's the question. Do they give them to the outfitters first?

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:00 PM »
Ok elksticker they have a draw that is for n.r. who have signed up with a outfitter now if you do this one you are required to go with that outfitter to hunt. You have to sign them power of attorney to do this hunt. No tags are gave to them from the main draw. The main draw is the main one. What unit and hunt are you looking for I can tell you the odds.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Non-res tag quota fluctuates between 10%-15% of the tags aloted for unit you apply for. If there are only 10 tags for a unit you will be fighting for maybe only 1 tag. The number of bonus pts. you have is squared. In your case 3pts=9, plus 1 for the current draw=10 total chances are put in for the draw. If not drawn you receive another bonus pt for next year's drawing which would give you 4 next year. Then you would have 16 + 1 =17 chances next year. So as time goes on you jump pretty dramatically in the number of chances...but so does everyone else of course.
I have not seen anything about a percentage of tags alloted to guides like N.Mexico does. But if that is the case then the percentage of tags (10%-15%) would be of an even smaller number of tags available to non-res w/out a guide. In some situations I have seen this means NO tags available to use hunters who go DIY. Hope this helps a little. I'm in the drawing with you!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Did a little more looking into this. I couldn't find where they give tags out to the outfitters first for their non-res customers. I did find where the odds of drawing can be higher if you put in through a guide over the regular drawing. If you are concerned about this I'd call their game dept. and ask them.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Thanks Snag, I think I will.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©