3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow for a newbie  (Read 238 times)

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow for a newbie
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
So once I get rid of my current bow (a x200 that is too heavy and the wrong dexterity) I am looking at getting a longbow. I really like the classic longbow look, and to be honest, they really get me excited.

Is it better to get a really nice bow at first that will last me for years, or should I get a cheap bow just to learn with and then get a nice one in a couple years?

What do you guys recommend to start out? Here are some I have found that fit within my budget for a starter bow. If it would be better to just get a nice bow to start out with, I will probably get a HH.

Black Forest Longbow:
 http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Kustom-King-Black-Forest-Longbow/productinfo/4708/49

Longhunters Longbow:
 http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/1whitewolfcustombows/the-template/faq/Page

Bear Montana:
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Bows+Longbows+Bear+Fred++Montana+Longbow_c44_s156_p199_i20931X_product.html
~Brock

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
I think if you have your mind made up to shoot trad. i would keep a close eye on the classifides for a nice used Mohawk longbow since you like the classic style longbow . That way you would have a very nice longbow at a very good price and that would last you a life time . I see nice used Mohawks go for 350-375 alot on classifides and that is a steal for that bow.

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:50:00 AM »
Mike has some good advice for you Brock. You really should become a student of the longbow so you can make the right choice.  

Don't be in a hurry.  Take time to glean from all of the folks here.

Ask specific questions and you will get specific answers.

Avoid the temptation to buy a bow before you fully understand your needs. Then and only then will you be ready to choose.  Nobody can tell you what is best for you except you.

If you are interested in Hill style bows, take time to read the big "Hill Bug" thread.  You can learn from many experts that have posted as well as guys like me that found answers to many questions.  Much of what you may learn there will apply to most any longbow, but not everything..so ask questions!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Many classic beauts in the classifieds for real savings. Patience will find a good deal soon enough on Hill, Northern Mist, or others +/- $300. These quality "D" bows can last a lifetime.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
bsoper, so far you have been given good advice. You should heed what has been said and I would reccomend you try as many different bows as possible, talk to as many different bowyers and try to educate your self. You may want to get a few books on shooting longbows such as: "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson or some of Howard Hills books. But the most important thing to remember is the bow is only as good as the person shooting it.  :archer:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
brock, you have a pm ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
There is/was a Bear Montana in the classifieds. I also have one that will be up for sale soon. Good shooting bows for the money.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Find a Trad store if you can, many of them have ranges where you can shoot differant bows! Or find Trad events in your area where you can shoot some longbows! Lots of bows to choose from these days have fun!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. Really, this place is awesome.

There aren't any stores anywhere near me that have traditional archery supplies. It's impossible to test out anything before I buy, so I am relying on sites like this and the books I have for info.

I have read the Hill Bug thread, it makes the Hill bug even worse in me!  :)

I have Byron Ferguson's become the arrow, and another one called Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera.

The problem I am having with used bows is finding a lefty.
~Brock

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Check out Kimsha.  Tom Parsons is a longbow master.  Last time I was in his shop, I could've picked up a brand new lefty for less than $400.  Great guy to talk to with lots of knowledge.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Just My Opinion here: I bought a Bear Montana, at 45# and I Really Like It! I have several All-Wood longbows as well, but the Montana shoots well for me, and "Lost Nation Archery" got it to me at a Good Price! Check 'em out!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Just my opinion, but I would start with a low poundage "cheaper" bow and work and get your form down pat.  In the meanwhile shoot any one you can.  Then I would look for the poundage, length, grip etc. you want.

A good longbow for the money is the Don Dow bow.  You may want to Google it.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline fatzboys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
If it was me i would go new. Get a warrenty. Its hard though getting a bow that you cant grip and shoot at least a few times.we are all different and not going to like the same things.i would get the Bear from the three you listed.good luck

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I've never seen or heard of it before but that KustomKing Longbow looks like a sweet bow...especially considering it's low price tag!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Why not an affordable bow that will last forever, like the Bear Montana?   ;)   It's a fine bow that you can learn to shoot with and will hold its own for durability, accuracy, quietness, etc.  It might surrender a little in cosmetics, but it's a solid bow and generally much more affordable than a custom job.  You won't be out as much if it turns out that this isn't really your thing.  On the other hand, if you DO jump for a custom job and this turns out to not be your thing, you can usually sell it for a good bit too.  Just don't have your name put on one.
Silence is golden.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Look for a used MOHAWK in the Classifieds.   :readit:   Vince makes a great bow.   :thumbsup:   If you aren't happy with it put it back on the Classifieds.   :archer:   Then down the road you can always order a new one custom to your liking!   :archer2:

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Used Montana's are nice and can be found for ~$200 in the classifieds. Often referred to as one of best performers w/i the lower cost spectrum. I have shot at least a couple of 1000 ronds thru them and they were the primary reason for my interest in a 'D' shaped bow.

Used Mohawks are one of the few bows that are  among the creme of the crop yet amazingly don't cost an arm and leg. Have only shot a few hundred arrows thru them. Their performance and fit were stellar.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
Brock, check out the new sponsors site, "Lefties R Us", I believe they have a good selection of used bows.

As many have said, a Mohawk would be a good classic longbow as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©