3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morrison Cheyenne help plz  (Read 429 times)

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison Cheyenne help plz
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm starting to get the itch for another custom bow, after a few years of semi-cooling off with trad bows. Had a bunch of bows, including Widow recurve, Acadian Woods, and a Morrison Cheyenne-type clone. I really liked that last one, but the weight was a bit too much. I'm not very much up to speed with all the options on the Morrison site, and there's not many pictures or verbage.

Some things I know I want, some things I'm not sure. But to help me get somewhat dialed in before I start calling Bob, I'd love to get some thoughts here.

The recurring theme here is something vanilla, common, middle of the road, somewhat plain. I like my bows to be sellable later and not a specialty item. They certainly are hunted, and will be more now that I have access to a nice private place with good deer numbers. So with that said:

60" lenght is my preference, and is working well now.

No pinecone grip, prefer smooth deep throat. I'm not up to speed with high,med,low grip, does high simply mean its closer to the shelf? Is medium somewhat normal for most folks?

Riser: my preference are middle to heavier weight risers, but not too much. ex: Widow is too much mass, but a Cheyenne is almost perfect. Prefer darker woods like this ebony/bocote model:   http://www.morrisonarchery.com/cheyenneebony.jpg  

I'm very unsure of riser heights.. What are ILF metal risers? Does that apply here? 13/15/17"?

Limbs: Recurve limbs first, maybe other options later? Are longbow type limbs available?

I see talk about A,B,C what the heck is that?

Weight will be about 45#, my shoulders are done with higher #.  I'll almost certainly continue using tapered cedar arrows that I make up. My draw length is about 29".

Butter smooth is what I'm looking for, aren't we all? ha.  So I think anyone can see what rises to the top... an easy shooting all around bow.

Sorry for the rookie questions, but on a high dollar bow like this, I need to get better educated. Thanks for all responses ahead of time. If you like to brag on your Cheyenne pics, send them to mnormand at petrolog dot com, I'd really love to see them so I can relate to above.
I've been on this site almost since inception, and it sure is great to be able to reach such a large group of experts.
Regards to all,
Mark
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morrison Cheyenne help plz
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
High grip means the grip is deep and your wrist is higher.

Bob has three models.

Shawnee straight riser

Cheyenne Deflexed riser

ILF is his adjustable limb model. You can change poundage and tiller by adjusting the limbs. Poundage changes in a 5 lb range.

His limbs and risers are categorized in different length by A,B,C,D For this explanation go to  www.morrisonarchery.com  click on Other Info then Riser Chart.

All models accept either recurve or long bow limbs. With the ILF riser accepting most anyones ILF limbs I believe.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
If you go to morrison home page and click on the" draw length" option in the middle of the page that will explain alot of your a,b,c question. A,b,c, denotes the riser length and also limb length, so you mentioned you liked 60" bows so a a riser with d limbs give you 60" b riser c limbs also 60"  the low med and high grip denotes the angle of the grip you said you like a smooth deep grip so a high may be what your looking for. And yes you can get both recurve and longbow limbs for a cheyenne. If you go to stock bow section of his page that will show you some more images of limbs and riser options hope this helps

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Don't want to hijack the thread Mark, but I have a lot of the same questions.

One more question, generally, would a shorter riser and longer limbs equal more performance (and smoother draw)out of the bow?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Not to argue with KentuckyTJ, but I think the Cheyenne has the deflexed riser (limb attach point behind the grip or closer to the string).  The Shawnee limb butts are reflexed, or set more forward. It does produce a straighter riser geometry.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  I've got one of each and love them both, but I think most folks would agree that the Cheyenne may be the smoother of the two, although that is a subjective thing.  The Shawnee is probably a few fps faster.  Mine are both 60", A risers (although the riser lengths differ), D limbs and 46# @ 28".  You can select a 60 bow with other riser limb combinations (i.e. longer riser, shorter limbs) I won't debate the realtive merits of each.  That's a personal thing based on your preferences.  Refer to Bob's charts.  As has been pointed out, grip refers to wrist position.  All else being equal, if you want "mass on a budget" you may want to consider one of the Dymondwood options.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
One other thing to take into consideration is the site window. I like a shorter site window, so the "A" riser works best for me. If you like a larger site window then you should consider a B or C riser.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Bobs bows are smooth as butter no matter long limb or short IMHO

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
If you go to morrison home page and click on the" draw length" option in the middle of the page that will explain alot of your a,b,c question. A,b,c, denotes the riser length and also limb length, so you mentioned you liked 60" bows so a a riser with d limbs give you 60" b riser c limbs also 60"  the low med and high grip denotes the angle of the grip you said you like a smooth deep grip so a high may be what your looking for. And yes you can get both recurve and longbow limbs for a cheyenne. If you go to stock bow section of his page that will show you some more images of limbs and riser options hope this helps

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
You might like a Cocobola rizer to add mass. Add a little Ebony flair for contrast and it looks sharp. I prefer the Medium grip, but that is an individual preference.
I also like the Carbon/Foam limbs. Smooth and very quick.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I have a bubinga B cheyenne riser and stumbled (literally) onto a set of his foam core/carbon longbow limbs for the Cheyene recurve riser.

The B riser gives me the mass I need to shoot consistently...it gives me a decent sight window in all conditions, and even w/ D style limbs, I'm only at a 62" bow overall which at my 6'2" height is quite manageable and very smooth.

I started with C limbs at 60" bow which I prefer but have had few problems with the D (62") limbs.

Bubinga isn't high cost and gives decent mass weight.

Thing is when you GET to talk to Bob...you'll get all his years of experience in a 10 min call and it will be solid honest input!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by olddogrib:
Not to argue with KentuckyTJ, but I think the Cheyenne has the deflexed riser (limb attach point behind the grip or closer to the string).
Richard is correct, I changed it.

Another thing. I have had bamboo, Maple and foam core limbs in the same poundage for my Cheyenne. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $35 for the foam core limbs. You won't be sorry.

TJ
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
You need to spend some time with Bob and shoot some of the bows. Words can accomplish only so much.
I have foam core on my Cheyenne; but do not rule out wood core on a future bow. Have a look at A&H  CX while you are evaluating too.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
You need to spend some time with Bob and shoot some of the bows. Words can accomplish only so much.
Bjorn I'd love to, but way too far.

Keep it coming, this is great stuff, I'm soaking it up.      :bigsmyl:
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi Mark glad it was only semi-cooling off and you are back.I hope you are still playing music and sounds like a great place to hunt.Cannot help you with your bow selection have never owned a Morrison.Take care Kip

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I have a Shawnee, "A" riser and "C" limbs, which makes a 58" bow. I have the carbon foam limbs, and they are smooth. Also, easy to make quiet. I had to visit Bob to have him explain the differences in the A, B, C, D, etc. It worked for me, and two weeks later I ordered my bow from his available stock. Good luck.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks to all who responded.  Bob and I hooked up again this evening and got the specs down.

And especially Killdeer who sent me good quality pics of her beautiful Cheyenne riser in macassar with flair and accents.  I melted and basically told Bob to copy that one! And we agreed on black foam core carbon limbs. So much for my "vanilla" theme, LOL !
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
That bow you ordered sounds great, Mark. I enjoyed our talk about the bows. You are really going to enjoy your new Morrison, and I know what Kathy's bow looks like. It's a beauty!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
You are gonna like that bow!
Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I'm reporting back...received the new Cheyenne today!    :D  

62", B Macasser riser, and 44# D carbon foam limbs.

Shot it about 30 times, using my usual 55# spined 30" tapered cedars, and no issues right out the box. Easy on the arms, and smooth as silk. I'm ready to hunt!

I was all ready to install the bow hush package, but with these current rubber silencers that came with the string, there's no need.

This was a great decision, very happy so far. I'll probably add some camo tape or limbskinz for now to protect & camo during hunting season, and wait till the spring for a snakeskin job. Or maybe just buy another set of limbs!  haha here we go!

Quivers: ok you Morrison Cheyenne guys/gals, whats your pref?  I almost always remove my quiver once in the tree. Needs to go on/off easy in the dark, no extra fumbling. I've used the strap on Great Northern before on my longbows, but usually just preferred the Quickees on previous recurves. Couldn't make myself add inserts on this riser, so what should I be looking at?

Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Go with a GN Quick disconnect model.  Get the riser checkered from Schafer Silvertip.  Ad some skins.  And then sell it to me:)

Beautiful bow.  Looks like my ILF.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©