3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Denton Hill Memories  (Read 647 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Denton Hill Memories
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Thought to begin a new thread not about bowhunting but about the good times we have at Archery festivals/shoots.
I know lot's of people here on Trad Gang have been to the Eastern traditional archery rendesvous at Denton Hill at least once. I myself attended 8 years straight and laid back couple years and finally reattended in 2010.

It is a magical place for traditional archers and I simply love the whole package it delivers as you all do too.
Would like to hear your fondest memories, times you had on the trails, bows found at swap meets, ect.......Pictures are always a plus
This should be a fun thread!
I will digout some pics too and post em.......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Denton Hill Memories
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I remember the very first ETAR.

There were around 350 shooters with lots of camping space with tables and free firewood.

There were maybe half a dozen vendors. Taper King had a small trailer with a flip up side. He had supplies that I had only seen in catalogs. I thought I went to heaven.

The very first swap meet was just several bows placed on a picnic table. We looked at those bows for over an hour! Wow!

Now there's several thousand people cramming for space, 150+ vendors, and a swap meet with hundreds of blankets. My, how we've grown!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I think the first year i went it was 1993 I believe. Have gone back every year since. I really liked it when I was introduced to rinehart targets. I thought they were amazing for easy arrow removal and for lasting so long. I came back and me and my friends convinced our archery club into getting them.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
The old days of Denton Hill were incredible! Just a wonderful group of people.  I attended the first 13 of them and enjoyed everyone, even though the weather not alway cooperated.  

My kids athletic schedule has kept me away the past few years but I'm sure I'll be heading back sometime in the future.  All the folks that run the shoot do a wonderful jobs.  Over 10,000 people in 4 days is a huge undertaking!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I have attended several ETAR events and it is my favorite. I drive from Alabama to attend.
What year was the first year?
John

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I went to a few early, then missed about 15 years due to Little League commitments. I've been to the last two and had an absolute blast. One thing that sticks in my mind is when I watched Byron Feruson's show, everybody in the crowd had a smile on their face for the whole preformance. I thought it was funny until I felt my cheeks ache from the silly grin I must have had the whole time also. GOOD TIMES.

Offline Steve G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I attended in 2009, my first. Driving from the SE Pa, area the trip was special, got to see alot of rural Pa and Mountains, saw a Black Bear on my way there. I camped with a friend from Brooklyn. I took many pics and video that I frequently view to relive the memories. ( sorry posting pics is a challange for me)  I video taped the ski lift ride to the top of the mountain, and the 3-D trail down, what a special day that was. I loved the vendors there, Stewart, Saluki, Silvertip, Predator, Striker, Kohannah, etc, etc. I got a very special black and white photo of Fred Bear making arrows or a Elk Bugle for Charlie Krall that I just love. The setting, people, trails, vendors, ETAR has lots to offer.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
MUD! Both times I attended  :banghead:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
First attended in '98 and been there 5 times I believe.  Hoping to get back there again this summer.  Always a good time!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
We have been going for years. We camp back up by Ironman and meet up with the same guys from PA and NY. Guys that camp across from us are Dick, Ronnie and Joe. Dick and Joe have been friends forever and a day. Joe loves traditional archery and Dick found a old bow at a yard sale and brought it with him to shoot (I think Dick wanted to camp and hang out with his buddy more then anything else). So we hook up and hit a few courses together. I'm toting my Zipper TD and I'm lighting just about every target up and dead nuts on all weekend. Dick inquired about the bow I was shooting. Sunday, before we packed up, we decided to hit the vendor tent one last time to see what great deals could be had the last day there. Just as we come crusin thru the vendor tent, we catch Dick strokin a check to Bill for a new Zipper custom TD! He points at me and tells Bill "Hey, that's the guy I was telling you about!" Bill looks at me and said "You just got yourself a free teeshirt" Cool bonus!

Love that shoot...
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Great gathering!  I've attending many years, and missed a few as well.  One thing you can always count on........you can't count on the weather!

The best part is meeting old friends.....and getting to meet new friends...and the last four years or so, folks I've only had the pleasure of talking to via this and other sites that cater to the ol stick and string.  Every year I get to meet folks that I recognize from past years......I've met more TGers at Denton than anywhere else.  A friendly bunch for sure.

And it's always nice to get back to familiar country.....I killed my first two wild turkeys about 20 miles from Denton in the mid-60s.

Vendor presence has really grown.....as have the overall numbers of attendees.  It's getting to be a crowd!

I'm looking forward to the end of July!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
My apologies to the Admin and you guy's.

I started the thread here then tried to stop it and relist it in another section. We now have the same thread appearing in 2 area's of the forum.
Heres a great memory of mine at Denton Hill circa 1999.

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online Joshua Grimshaw

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I have made it the last 6 times and always enjoyed it. Going this year also.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
I hope to get there this year. This is my first season of trad shooting since I was 15 years old. Let's just say that has been a few decades ago. Im enjoying archery again more than ever and cant wait for spring gobbler, summer shoots and fall whitetails. Denton Hill is on the top of my list with a local rendevous here. Two shoots I plan to attend.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Great place to visit been going for six years and I cant even shoot the courses spend my time visiting and in the tents,my boy tells me about the shooting part.Be there this year look me up cant miss me!!
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I missed going to Compton one year so that I could attend Bear Quest.  As compensation, I talked my wife into attending ETAR with me.  (Yeah, she's a prize!)  That one year turned into three straight now, and we are already booked for number four this year.  
It is a highlight of the summer - great freinds, great shooting courses, and just an all around good time!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Where are your pictures everybody?
Come on!!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Go to "Pa Wilds Archery Festivals" there are 1145 pics.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
In the early years I went with my buddies and we had a blast shooting, camping, laughing our butts off.

Then one of our gang got the bright idea to bring the womenfolk and it went down hill from there. We had to eat regular meals (at meal time), we had to bathe, we couldn't spit terbacky juice into the fire anymore, and the joke material had to be cleaned up greatly!

Now it's gotten so bad my wife and I stay at a local B&B. Nice clean comfy beds with TV, AC, and a john that doesn't have 1000 "customers" per day.

Man, I miss the good old days. Sort of.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
looking forward to going this year my first time and an added bonus picking up a new Silvertip to hopefully be delivered there
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©