3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Denton Hill Memories  (Read 645 times)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Denton Hill Memories
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Denton Hill is what really got me hooked on Traditional archery. It was about 2 weeks before Denton Hill in 2004 that I started playing around with Trad. bows. A bunch of guys at our local archery shop were talking about it, and said I really needed to make the 3 hour drive. Well, it's been 7 wonderful years for me now.  :thumbsup:  Always nice to catch up with old friends. I really look forward to my visits with Bill & Tracy Dunn, and Mike Treadway.

Bill

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Back the year before the first Denton Hill I had my trad only archery shop (Renaissance Archery NJ) up and running. Some of my friends and customers from the PA Longbow assoc. asked me to be a vendor at the first shoot. I along with Tom Cole spent some time on the phone with Mike Nifely and several others talking about it.
It was low budget the first year, it was mostly guys camping in a wilderness type setting, a few families, large bonfires at night, good amount of singing, story telling around dozens of campfires, good shooting thru the mountains.
Groups from different camps camp hopping, a good amount of imbibing going on and I made some of the best life long friends from those days.
Bow makers that I had developed relationships with
eventually started coming and the shoot, rightfully so turned into a giant event. Those first couple of years, the guys that attended have a very special memory of something that is rare in this world. I attended every year, I missed one a couple of years ago due to family situation but I hope to make all the others.
It is a entirely different thing the past several yeas but still a very good place to meet the best people in the world, traditional archers.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »
no memories yet,but I am hoping to make some this year.  my wife and I are new to traditional archery. I have been shooting wheels bows on a competitave level for about 10 years now, and i just got burned out.  We started about 3 months ago and I am really looking foward to going to denton hill. we live in pa so its not to far.  see everyone there later this year, hope we have a good time!!

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
I cant wait to go again this is going to be my 2nd year. Last year I didn't know what to expect we were only there for the day. So I just booked my motel last week my girlfriend and I are going to be leaving early friday morning and staying until saturday nite. Cant wait to check out all the new stuff and meet some great people. See you guys there
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
I went the first time this past year, wow did it rain but the sun came out at the right time and everyone had a good time. I had no idea it was so popular, I only went because I was getting back into Trad after many years and wanted a custom bow. The bowyers let me shoot until my arms were falling off, but I got my bow and have been very happy with my choice. I never even got to shoot the coarse, hope to change that this year. The people were GREAT to say the least and I look forward to seeing them again.

See all of you there.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »
Only been once so far. I had hoped to go with my best friend, but then he didn't think he would make it. I got caught up in a home project and didn't think I would go either. Well, after busting my butt and no sleep for a little over 24 hrs, I finished up and said heck with it, packed up and made a 4 hour ride in 3 hours to Denton. While setting up camp (I think I got the last spot) a fella next to me commented on my basket quiver. I told him he should see the one I made for my friend. After describing it, he says I know him, been shooting with him all day! I said, can't be he isn't here. So he takes me to his camp. Sure enough my buddy was able to go last minute. Well, I probably shouldn't admit to it, but we shot right through the night and half the next day. I had to leave by 1pm so I was there about 24 hrs and had one of the best times ever! By the time I got home, I had been awake for 3 days. Hope to go again some time.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 05:01:00 AM »
All the money I save each year is lost in arrows on the courses.  I love that place!!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
I'd love to go, but that's my busy time of year. Like that's some kind of excuse!
Things are tougher now, need a passport and all. I was doing some business with Art Vincent (Cedar Works Leather) and he mentioned Denton Hill. We'd never met, but he offered me a spot at his campsite, as they're hard to get he said.
One of these years....
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
I was at Denton Hill  the year  prior to the first ETAR, when they were having their "BOW hunters festival "!!!   when it was first  announced .
 Went that first  year then for about 4 or 5 in a row after    Have never had the chance  to go back since.    ALMOST made it last year but it just didnt happen   I MISS It!!!!!!!     First years were great I was awed at how it grew year to year .
  I am planning to attend this year,  with at least one of my sons  For at LEAST a day .
     Hoping to see some of the old gang there
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
I went when it was a small event and you could shoot all day any course without waiting. Its a little crowded for a old goat like me now. I walked up to the top of the mountain to shoot one of the 3D courses the first year I went. The ski lift only ran on the weekends. I bought a 21'st century longbow that was one of the first ones he made off of Jack Brobst, the famous turkey hunter and author.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
I've made it to all except the very first year.  My son had just become a teenager and we went and camped in the very best spot and shot for two days without waiting for anything.  Fast forward to last year.  We still camped in the same spot, he's over 30 now and the two grandkids are loving every minute of it!  There's just a good feel there even if our women folk are staying in a motel.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
Found some more pics....
     That's Angelo Christiano of Bison Gear and big Jim who went on to be a hunting celebrity with some Brooklyn friends.

That's Ken Beck trying to convince me to trade my "old" bow for his "new" widow. Had a lot of fun with him! Great guy.
      Ofcoarse, the Legendary Glenn St. Charles with his son. I so loved talking to him!
Great times with great guys!......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I missed the first year and then found out about it and went the second year. I camped right next to the dealers near the lodge. I have only been missing it for the last two years. I gave up camping and stayed at the Ox Yoke Inn where most of the dealers used to stay. Its the best in my opinion of all the shoots.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Me and my friend George went to the first one and I only brought a dozen arrows.We stayed for 3 days and shot from sun up to dark and even after dark for the "coon shoot" course.They also divided everyone into four man teams for a trophy shoot.Our team came in second out of I believe around 800 shooters.I think I came home with 4 1/2 arrows.Didn't have much cash on me or I would have bought more.Went to the next 8 or so.Haven't been since.Sure was fun.  :archer2:

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
is this the potter county denton hill? i go to thier 3d fest every year but never have gone to the trad one. i always have fun shooting thier awsome 3d courses though. this will be my first summer shooting a long bow there
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Sawtooth,  Same place.  Try to attend ETAR.  Well worth it.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I think the first year I went was back in '96. Jim Duclos of Green Mountain Longbows invited me to go along with him. My jaw dropped when we drove in there. Being from VT where there's not a lot of trad bowhunters, I never knew so many existed. Needless to say, the next year, I brought the whole family. I've only missed a few years since. The wife and daughter don't go anymore, but my son loves it just as much as i do and he looks forward to it every year. This is a picture of last years campsite. Someone mentioned the heavy rain we had last year! Envision a river of water rushing by my Alaknak a 1/2 " below the zipper of the door and that's how bad our campsite had it. I'm glad we had cots, though the inside remained pretty dry.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Phil maybe we can make a few new ones this year.I been working on the boss to give me a week off in july(see how things go).That would be so fun to do again.I know you know what I like to drink too right ? I ai'nt had another one of those since that day.That was the last time you and I stood together in the smoken hot sun getting rained on ? and getting rained on hard too like I never seen in my life it was a great time.Oh yeah buddy you interduced me to my first.I saverd those few minutes in time and like I said I have never had another since that day.Who would have ever thought a memory so good would come from one bottle of soda ? I would I guess bd

Offline MCostello

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I have attended the last 3, having gotten into traditional archery only 4 years ago. Last year I attended after only a month out from major surgery. I used the upcoming event as a motovator for my recovery. My group was great at supporting me. I was still able to shoot a couple full days with my 55# recurve but was not able to pull arrows from the targets. I had a great time and can't wait to get back this year. Trying to get my family involved but you know muddy shoes are not for everyone!!

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by ScottV_7:
Sawtooth,  Same place.  Try to attend ETAR.  Well worth it.
i would love to go but sadly I dont have any friends that shoot bows and im the only one in my familly that shoots trad bows. plus im taking a week off work for the 3d thing they have, i rather to to the trad one and see all the venders and check out some bows. heck maybe ill just head up thier for a day or 2 and shoot a bit. could just sleep in my car or something haha
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©