3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dr says don't....UPDATE.  (Read 225 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Dr says don't....UPDATE.
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
well, got more news today, none of it good. MRI results shows a moderate tear of the common extensor tendon in my right elbow, with 1 cm of retraction ( torn off the bone). So, at this point, I have a surgery consult scheduled for APril 8th. Once they do the sugery, lookin at 8 weeks immobilized, then 10-12 weeks rehab. That is before I can even think about starting to shoot a light bow, nowhere near what I would want to hunt elk with. SO, right now I have to figure out if Im still going to go, and just call for my son or cancel the trip. I'll lean heavily towards going anyway, even if I cant shoot.

Funny, how its feeling better, but the damage is structural and will need surgical repair.

So, based a on my long and steep learning curve- I'll make this recommendation to any archers.

If you have elbow pain- see a doc. If he doesnt do any diagnostic tests,and just writes scripts for anti inflammatories, get another doc. All the motrin in the world will not repair a torn tendon, or realign a misaligned bone. It masks the symptoms, and allows you to continue doing more damage.

My entire summer is gonna be shot- kinda hard to run a boat and fish,  etc with your arm in a cast. Kinda hard to train for a backcountry elk hunt, and impossible to shoot a bow of any kind.

Needless to say, Im pissed beyond words. This elk hunt was supposed to be a combination of my sons graduation present, and my retirement present to myself. Likely the only time we will both be able to spend that amount of time doing that before he enters the workforce, school or whatver direction he decides to go.

If I cant shoot, as long as I can at least carry a pack andd work a cow call, I'll do what we can to get him a elk. But.............it still sucks.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dr says don't....UPDATE.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Ouch, that hurts!  Over the years I have had both elbows repaired for tendonitis after cortizone shots didn't do anything.  I hope your surgery is successful!

-WH-

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
When is the hunt? If you have until Sept and all goes well, maybe you can work up to 45#s and if that is legal and you can shoot that by than, Hunt. 45#s with 10gpp. and razor sharp heads will take care of elk as long as you keep the shots close and broadside or better quartering away to avoid ribs and get arrow in the goodies. I heal quick and had several shoulder surguries and was actually shooting about 3 week to a month before doctor said I would be able to. Don't get me wrong I got permission to shoot from the doctor(always follow their advise) but after examining me several times he gave me the go ahead! Keep a positive attitude, that helps and I wish you a full and most importantly a speedy recovery!! All the best! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Hawk, how long did it take after surgery to get back behnd the bow, and do you have any lasting problems ?
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
John, my wife saw me posting this and she has had both elbows done in the last 2 years. Both tears quite a bit worst than yours, actually the last one her entensor tendon was torn from bone  for 2 cm and also had tearing in the tendon itself. That surgery was Jan. 15th. so 2 and half months ago and with lots of physical therapy and a lot of pain, she is close to being back to normal. She said she feels in another 6 weeks she will be back close to full strength, so that would be about 4 months total. She also has had a few set backs but says to keep your head up and listen to doc, but work hard at recovery and you will do well!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Go get your kid his elk . Get yours with a camera good luck and listen to the doc.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
John,
It's hard to be patient with the plans you have laid out, but follow the medical advice.  Retearing by going too fast will make things so much worst.  Like Thumper Dunker says, pictures are great trophies too.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Take heart. I had a torn tendon in my left elbow a couple of years ago from a tractor accident and then surgery in late May. I got the soft cast off after a couple of weeks and had to wear a clunky device that immobilized the joint for a couple of months and then started rehab at a sports rehabilitation place that did a great job. After the 12 weeks there I continued my rehab myself at the gym. I remember I was in that horrible device through June. By July I could shoot a 30# target bow and I shot that for a few weeks at 3-D shoots. By August I was shooting 41# hunting bow, then a 45# hunting bow and finally a 50# bow by September.

I have no pain at all and no residual effects from surgery and can shoot up to 58# if I so desire.

The funniest thing that happened when I wore that black brace device was I worked as a volunteer marshall at an LPGA event (ladies golf) which was televised nationally. People would tell me every day of the tournament that they saw me on TV. I asked them how did they know it was me and they said "How many marshalls are there with big black arm braces on?" Life goes on.

My two pieces of advice are rehab and buy a light target bow and matching arrows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
This is the time for you and your son. Go, go and get the Elk with camera with whatever but don't cancell this time with your son. This specific time will only happen once. This will be more memorible anyway. Anyway take what the doc says, mend and bless you.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I feel your pain John, and sure understand how frustrating it must be.  I do agree though with the suggestions to go ahead with your plans for the trip and make it your mission to call in an elk for your son.  That experience alone would be worth its weight in gold to me.  

I don't have a son, and while I don't wish your experience on anyone, I can tell you that in my mind at least, the chance to call in an elk for your son would be far better than killing one yourself.  I guess it is kind of a glass half full or half empty kind of thing.  I will get to hunt elk this fall (hopefully)  You get a chance to spend time in the mountains with your son.  Both of us are blessed.  Go make some memories!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
John, I would still go, if you can hunt great if not you still get to hunt with your son. If you cancell and feel better by then you will be sick!,  docs told me I would be down for a couple of months after hip replacement, was back to work and feeling good in 5 wks, doc said I would never walk without a cane or crutch after the accident we were in. I'm walking very well on my own, do your rehab, I would recomend Karen at Full Circle they will get you back in the game. If you need help with boat or anything else give me a shout, I'm right down the road. Todd

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
John, DON'T EVEN TRY! Im telling you from experience the worst thing you could do is rush the healing process. Two years ago, (first morning of bow season) I tore the tendon in my left knee right off the kneecap. A simple misstep off the back deck. Had surgery to reattach the tendon on October 4. That same year I drew an Iowa tag.I was bound and determined to make that hunt work in mid November. Six weeks after the surgery I set out for Iowa and on the second day of the hunt I turned on my right ankle and completely destroyed the work the surgeon performed on my knee. I had a second surgery in Janurary but my knee has never be the same. GIVE YOUR BODY TIME TO HEAL, you won't regret it.

Offline treetoppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I know that it sucks! And i know that I'm not going through it, and I would think that it sucked too, if i were!  But you have to look on the bright side of things and be thankful that other than this setback you're a blessed man. You have the freedom, and opportunity to go on an elk hunt, with your son. Wether you're able to pull a bow or not, God has given you a wonderful family,(Avatar);  you'll still be able to see some beautiful country, and most likely you will heal and be back at it in no time.  Focus your efforts on making some wonderful memories with your son, despite the circumstances!  I'll keep your procedure and healing in my prayers.  God bless!

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
I know that I may be risking life and limb, BUT perhaps a crossbow would allow you to hunt.. I hate them esp. in Bow Season, but for those with physical problems, it is better than not hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©