3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's hunting Elk?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who's hunting Elk?
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
Tradgangers,
I'll be going on my first Elk hunt this September (NW Colorado). I just about can't stand it. So, please share a little about your Elk plans, past results, etc. so that I may live vicariously through you until September 9th rolls around. Thanks and good hunting.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's hunting Elk?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Going a week later than you to Colorado.  This will also be my first trip.  I drew a deer tag too.  We will be hunting private and public land.  A trip to a new location and for new critters is a double dose of excitement.  I am having a lot of fun learning what I do not know about elk.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
I am planning a couple of horseback trips for elk this fall.  Opening week in Colorado I am packing into the Weminuche Wilderness about 12 miles with my supershrew and a flyrod.  September 15 will find me on another trip into the Bighorns in Wyoming.  I would like to go right now but I still have a lot to do to get everything ready and it will be time to leave before you know it. Sometimes you get lucky and get an elk other times you feel lucky just to be able to go.  I hope you both have a good hunt.  If you are like me you will be hooked deep and have to go back again and again.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
I am going on a backpacking trip, with my bow, with broadhead-tipped arrows, with an elk tag, all during elk season. It remains to be seen if I am really elk hunting.   :help:

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
You going on public or private?  Bow or black powder.  That is the weekend it opens, thats why I ask.  I will be coming home that weekend.

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Bow (Recurve) a little private, but mainly public in the middle of nowhere. I am a little concerned about muzzle loader opening on the 10th, but outfitter (Peters Hunting Service) has assured me that the plus' outweigh the negatives (cooler weather, more bugling, more activity). This guy seems straight up and I had my choice of the 5th or the 10th. From everyting I've studied and looked at, I chose the 10th. Will take a cow or small bull. Not hunting horns on this trip, Just happy to see the west with my bow in hand.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
New Mexico draw results are scheduled out on Wednesday  :pray:    :pray:    :pray:  

If that doesn't work out I will be on the phone looking for a landowner tag somewhere or maybe a drop camp in an over the counter unit.  One way or another, I plan to be hunting elk in September.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Doing a drop camp in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in NE Oregon for 10 days. And the best thing about it is: NO ATVS!

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting back to the high country--leaving here the first of August and stay thru archery season in CO. I miss those quakies!!

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Me and my new knees are headed to Colorado.Will be first time for My Son to hunt there. I'll be the only trad shooter but I'm used to that. It will be a great time with friends and family.
We'll be hunting public ground but with a local so I'm excited to have a scout. Good luck everyone, hope to see lots of success pics. in September

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I will be hunting CO for Elk too....anxious to use my trail cam this year for some mech needed scouting.  Good luck to all

jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Yes but my hunt will be cut short by a trip to Alaska.    ;)

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Man its to bad you have to leave for AK Plumbob!! Thats sounds great, I get to go to Alaska in July going to try some fishing. Can't wait but don't have to much choice.
I moved to the west slope of Colorado just for the hunting and all the rest this beautiful state has to offer. Been running up in the hills every weekend to try and find a good looking spot. I'm sure I will have company but hey we are all trying to accomplish the same thing. Peace in a high place with all the anticipation of seeing the elk, the trees, the smells and on and on. Good hunting all, shoot straight!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I am if I draw. Last year wasn't real good, a big chunk of the area we had was burned. Should be good this year.   :thumbsup:

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Guys -- great to hear all the positive anticipation, which is so much of the fun of it all. Those of you coming to CO -- indeed, it's a troubling conflict that perhaps the best week of elk season is also black powder week (9 days, with two weekends. Give them credit for good political lobbying. Earlier it often rains, at least down here in the SW corner of the state, and the elk aren't always bugling a lot. Later, they've become acutely aware they're being hunted, and the herds have formed, and there's plenty of bugling away from the roads and motorized trails but they most often run away if you bugle, and even cow calling rarely works. The biggest problem with the black powder folks is that they tend to come in big groups and they love ATVs, which elk absolutely hate. I don't care what any outfitter says, if you hunt within hearing (and elk hear a lot farther than we do!) of motors and/or lots of hunters bugling (and the two definitely go together), you'll be enjoying far inferior hunting. If I had only a week to hunt, it would be the week before black powder opens, second week of the CO season, first week of Sept. Leave your trail cams at home. Elk are not whitetails. Even if you're lucky enough to get elk photos, that doesn't mean they'll be there in the day. Or the next night. When undisturbed, they loaf unpredictably around a huge territory on about an 8-day cycle. So where there were no elk yesterday and several days before, there suddenly may be many for a few days, then gone again. To the brother hunting the Weminuche Wilderness--you lucky dog! But unless you've been there before and know what you're up to and precisely where, and what to expect, don't go in from Poison Park above Pagosa Springs, as half the outfitters and horse folks in the world use that way in. And any access from the Rio Grande side is sure to be plagued and ruined by heavy ATV traffic.

In review, to offer my most heartfelt and honest advice no matter if others disagree, I suggest to plan your hunt as far as possible from areas open to ATV use (there are still places where legal forest roads run alongside wilderness or roadless areas, with no legal ATV trails nearby, and you can road camp and walk a mile or more in and find solitude and undisturbed game, though such places are going fast; join  www.backcountryhunters.com  to help save them!), And rather than spending $50 or whatever a bugle costs these days, spend it on good booze for the campfire time or a new pair of boots, and look to the overall experience as the goal, with any elk taken an unexpected bonus.

Last year, I robbed myself of more than half of elk season here in CO to hunt moose in AK. I'll never leave the Rockies again in Sept., as there is no better life experience to have than a true backcountry elk hunt during the rut, if you leave all the store-bought, motorized, electronic, video-hyped crap behind and hunt traditionally and honestly, like our grandfathers did. If I were God, every other month would be September. Go get 'em, guys! I'll be out there with you, somewhere, but you'll neither see nor hear me. Dave

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
Anyone have any experience in CO. units 521 and 421?

Offline Paul J.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Dave,

good to see your advice here.I enjoy reading
your logic and opinions. I have been hunting
your part of Co. for 13 years. Absolutly some
of the most  beautiful country I have ever seen.  I consider it my home away from home!Also we
share a mutual friend in Milt @ Wiltcat Canyon.
A wonderful arrowsmith and even better person.

Paul

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
That link got me to a retail store? Is that right?

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
I think Dave meant:

www.backcountryhunters.org

Offline Keystone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I will go on my second elk hunt this year. Last year I hunting in Idaho and I will be back to the same area for at least two weeks in Sept. and maybe even longer. I'll be hunting with two of my buddies who have hunted this same area for several years. I will be hunting with a self bow I built and taking an other one I built as a back up.
Oh yes, I got hooked last year.

Good hunting everyone.
Roger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©