3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's hunting Elk?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's hunting Elk?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Plumbob -- sorry! It must have been happy hour when I wrote that. Try  www.backcountryhunters.org.  I always have a hard time with the com/org/net trio. dave

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Once again I will be chasing the elusive waptit in the backcountry of Idaho.  Seven miles off the road, 3,000 feet elevation differential, no ATVs, no other hunters the last five years running.  Solo, bivouac, me and my newly made bow, some freshly tuned arrows, razor sharp broadheads, minimal equipment, my journal and camera.... what could be better?  Filling my soul's cup every Sepetember rut is what I LIVE for all year long.  I am actually going to be starting my elk journal thread here soon, scouting pictures, thoughts, gear lists... similar to the "heading west" thread last year and the "sheep journal" from this year.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
I never used an ATV to hunt off of or get to my hunting spot.  But do have one.  The gripe of ATVs on public / national forest lands should be over.  They are not allowed except on specific trails of which there are FEW.  And if you decide to hunt near one thats your problem / mistake.  We use mine as an extra vehicle should someone want to go opposite ways from camp, on a road you could drive your truck down.  All this legally.  I know they were abused for hunting national forest land in the past, but there is next to no legal use of them now on national forest.  I hunt wilderness and national forest next to wilderness.  I see elk within 1/2 mile from the road regularly, and know they cross the local roads regularly almost like deer on a nightly basis.  One of the oldtimers camps is right next to a meadow by a road, he gets elk visits in the middle of the night regularly.  Talk of them running from the sound of an engine like a mad animal is greatly over exagerated.  Maybe in areas where they were hunted that way, private land??  In 6 years of hunting the area I have seen no one operate one illegally, or in a way that it was messing up my hunting.     :saywhat:   I believe much of this is like the cell phone complaints.  Yeah there are idiots out there who can't drive and talk.  But its no different than the soda and hamburger you are eating while driving, or music, or???

Yep - I'm an ATV driver, cell phoner, and tradional hunter.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »
Woah there bow, nobody was accusing you of atv abuse.  I think the elk in Wisconsin are different than the elk here... probably the atv drivers too... abuse IS rampant here, there is so much land that it just can't be patrolled properly, ATVs have prolifereated to the point that, litterally, every third truck on my drive to the mountains (all summer AND during the hunting season) has at least one atv.  If my poor hearing can hear an ATV buzzing from a couple miles away, I know the elk can too.  I HAVE seen elk spooked by ATVs.... last year I was stalking a satelite bull and suddenly the whole heard spooked and blew into Timbuktoo...no big deal, I know it wasn't the steady wind in my face, nor my movement becasue I wasn't moving, but not less than two minutes later, I can hear an ATV coming up my way.  No road, he was just looking for elk.  Good luck bud.  There are A LOT of fellas who never use an ATV unless they are pulling an elk out of a God forsaken draw, but they are outnumbered by those out "hunting" from the saddle.  I am NOT angry at you for using an ATV, just like I am NOT angry at someone for using a compund bow.  Different means for the same end, but I firmly believe, for me, the enjoyment is the journey and ATVs (mine or hopefully otheres) are not part of my journey.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
And I don't FULLY agree with your cell phone/ soda/ burger analogy.  One is an added danger on the road, the other is disruptive of something else entirely.  Both blown out of proportion? Possible.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Wish atv use wasn't abused in Wyoming... it's still a problem here.

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
ELK!!!!   I'm planning my 2008 hunt already It's not if I'm going, It's how long can I go for
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline Trout Guide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
I'll be out there too. Only 11 weeks to go and hopefully they'll go by pretty fast. I'm pretty lucky in that I live real close to where I hunt so I get out quite a bit to scout. I think if I had just one week to hunt it would be the last. The bulls will be more vocal. Like Dave I don't call much but prefer to sneak in on vocal bulls or sit at an ambush point.
In our part of Colorado ATV abuse is pretty bad so I try to hunt in areas they aren't. Sometimes elk will live very close to major roadways and get used to the traffic. It's when a motorized vehicle gets off those roadways and into the elk comfort zone that moves the animals further away.One national forest road I know of has a bunch of old logging roads that are gated off with signs saying no motorized vehicles. There are illegal ATV trails around every gate.I know it's a few bad apples that ruin it for everyone but the main problem here is just not enough law enforcement and not harsh enough penalties. Another reason I hunt in roadless areas is because I really don't like hearing the things. For that reason I joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.
I hope all you guys have a great hunt.
John 3:16

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Well said "Ninj"

Bowdude you are more than welcome to take a trip with me and I will show you ATV abuse.   :banghead:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
New Mexico draw results are supposed to be posted today.  My credit card limit just dropped by the cost of a high demand tag.  

Coincidence?  :confused:  

If my math is right I'll be in the mountains of northern New Mexico Sept. 15-22.  
Yee Haaa!!!!  :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline shapeshifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
i'll be hunting elk just like i always do in northern idaho.... long way from the road/gate and hopefully the logging will be done so that the gate is closed and the ATVs are once again no longer allowed in.

i agree with elk ninga...... ATV abuse is rampant up here..... and yeah i am also an ATV owner  but look for areas to hunt where they are not allowed.
TimberGhost Customs X-breed 65@28

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Congrats, Whip! I'd say you got you an Elk tag.   :clapper:  
To everyone else who posted, thanks...I needed that. Looks like many of us will be sharing a mountainside (in spirit anyway) chasing Elk with our recurves/longbows in tow. Good luck and good hunting.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
New Mexico draw results are supposed to be posted today.  My credit card limit just dropped by the cost of a high demand tag.  

Coincidence?   :confused:  

If my math is right I'll be in the mountains of northern New Mexico Sept. 15-22.  
Yee Haaa!!!!   :jumper:      :jumper:      :jumper:  
Being a Banker, I should hope your math is correct, and if it is I'm going too!!!!!  :jumper:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Woah I wasn't saying anyone was getting on me, didn't mean to give that impression.  I was talking about elk hunting colorado.  The main reason we use an atv is the extra vehicle, old man walking down hill strategy.  Take the atv to the road downhill side, park it, drive the road to the top of a ridge, walk/hunt the drainage back to the atv, go get the truck.  There are a lot of drainages that you can do that on if you look for em.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
If everyone used ATV's like that I doubt anyone would have an issue with them.  I have used them myself quite a bit on a ranch I have hunted in Colorado.  They are simply used as an extra vehicle to get to that starting spots, and then walk from there.  It just works so much better than everyone climbing in one pickup and getting dropped off at different spots around the mountain.  The ATV's are never taken where you wouldn't be driving otherwise with a truck.  The cabin we stay in is just too far away from the hunting grounds to walk, so you have to drive something to get there one way or another.  Don't see any problem with that.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I've gone with and without a 4 legged atv and have to say, I like em.   :thumbsup:

Offline Ben Nicholson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm hoping to do my first elk hunt this fall.  Heading to WA state (in laws live there).  Probably going solo.  Don't know which bow yet, but it'll be a stickbow.  

Good luck to all of you!

-Ben
"Remember, if you don't do it this year you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
Dave  I like the way you think!! And write. I'm excited about being out there somewhere in the golden light and the smells of the high country!!

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
Its cool Bowdude. Its just that there is severe ATV abuse in places and some of us are thin skinned about it.  :cool:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
I always elk hunt here at home. I keep trying for some states though. I haven't been able to get on N.M. site to check.
I can't imagine missing a year of the high country, majestic elk, and the peace of no city noises and lights. Just the millions of stars. Smell of evergreens and cow-in-heat scent...well maybe not that.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©