3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help..Problems with Goat Tuff glue  (Read 169 times)

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Help..Problems with Goat Tuff glue
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
I was trying some Goat Tuff glue tonight to fletch up some arrows and what a mess I made!  I ran a bead of it down the quill of a feather and when I went to remove the clamp 5 minutes later, the feather came off and the shaft and my jig had glue all over it. I finally got my fingers separated and my jig cleaned up.  I didn't use any more glue than I would normally use with Duco.  I went to their website and they said to use just a little.  I then tried just a little bit and the feather curled up when I took the clamp off.  How do ya'll use this stuff?  What am I doing wrong?  Help!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help..Problems with Goat Tuff glue
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Make sure shafts are clean.
After you put arrow in clamp, add glue, then before you put it on shaft, blot it straight down on a piece of paper, this will help remove any excess glue that you have on the feather, and will leave the proper amount on the fletch.  Then apply it to the shaft, make sure that clamp is completly down, hold firm for 8-10 seconds,
Should be able to remove clamp without any difficulties, provided you didn't get any glue on the clamp at the feather.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
I use Platinum fletch tite for all my fletching,I always use wraps on carbon arrows and sometimes on aluminum.I always wipe the shafts down with alcohol before fletching aluminum or wrapping.I use duco on wood shafts with a polyurethene finish.This is how I've always done it and haven't had any problems.It may take alittle longer to dry but it works for me.I also use a kitchen timer,so I don't forget when I glued the feather down.I think I did try goat tuff because I thought it would be faster but I experienced the same problem you are talking about,not sure why it didn't work so I went back to the way I've always done it.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
On a four inch fletch, I will use four or five of the smallest dabs I can make spaced equal distance apart and then use the applicator tip to spread it evenly on the quill. It should look like there is not enough glue when it is done properly. Too much glue (read that as being able to see the glue) is a recipe for a failed glue joint.  I love Goat Tuff.  That tiny little bottle seems to last forever. Don't forget to use a dab of Fletch-Tite or something similar to capture both ends of the fletches to the shaft after glueing the fletches.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
You goattuff has gone bad. If I leave mine in the garage where it gets pretty cold the same thing happens. Get a new tube.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I think I vote with Mint.  I keep mine in a fridge.  I did get  laugh out of picturing you with your fingers stuck.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies ya'll.  Gonna give it another try tonight.  I might wear some latex gloves just to be on the safe side!!   ;)
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Try the tape instead.....  :readit:

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
Once you use the fletch tape, you won't go back to glues. It really is a no brainer. Tape rules! Pup

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Hey Pepper and Creekwood...I tried both of ya'll's methods and I'm happy to say that both worked just great!  Thanks for the info and suggestions from eveybody.  Man, I just love this site!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©