3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with Timber Hawk bows  (Read 333 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with Timber Hawk bows
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
I have been looking for a takedown recurve, I am considering buying one from Timber hawk Bows.
Has anyone from this group purchased one. I have also thought about buy Black widow or Zipper only because they seem to be more established. Anyone what to share their thoughts?
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with Timber Hawk bows
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
I have shot bows from the 3 bowyers you mention in multiple versions (takedowns, one pieces, longbow etc...). All three are great companies and customer service for all three is superb. I personally feel that each of these bows shoot VERY differently from each other. It will be up to your personal preference on which you like.

By looking at my signature line, I obviously have a bias toward Timberhawk. Scott is top notch and will take as much time as you need to get the bow/grip right for you. He also has a policy that if you do not like the bow(and you have not altered it), he will give you a full refund minus the shipping cost. Realy no danger in ordering one of his bows. As a matter of fact, he gives a follow up call to make sure the bow arrived safely and you are happy with it. Never had anyone else do that. Not that they wouldn't, just never heard of that before buying my Timberhawks.

Scott has been making bows much longer than most people realize. He does an excellent job, don't be afraid to order from him if you have shot and like his bows. His short bows shoot nice as well.

Good luck whatever you choose!    :thumbsup:

Offline FLAT ROCK VALLEY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
You will not find a better bow than a Timberhawk. Scott is a great person to work with and he does excellent work. I love mine.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:14:00 AM »
I recently bought a Timberhawk Monarch and absolutely love it!
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
I want to trumpet what Charles and the others have said.  Scott is terrific guy and talented craftsman and you will be delighted with a Timberhawk!

You can't go wrong with a Zipper or Widow either and they are both sponsors here.  You face a hard decision for sure!

BTW... I previously posted a review of my Timberhawk under the product review forum.  Check it out
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
I have shot and owned Black Widows and Zippers.

Zipper is my choice, the craftsmanship is superb and in my hands the Zipper is the most accurate bow I have shot. The bow is absolutely dead in my hands at the shot, points great and the SXT grip is perfect in my hands. The bow draws without a hint of stacking builds up weight consistently to my anchor. Superb.

The Black Widow is a great bow too and they have different models so It's hard to compare them. I used to own a PSA and I didn't like the weight of the riser, it felt clunky heavy. I still own a PSR and that bow is my favorite Black Widow, short, light and simple. Good luck with whatever you choose, they are all great choices.

For what it's worth, Bill Dunn from Zipper is without question the best bowyer I have ever dealt with, many could learn from his customer service. You buy with complete confidence.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with any of the three you spoke of. Widow, Zipper and Timberhawk are all fine bows, if you can shoot them it will be easier to decide....maybe? If you can try them, try to shoot the same poundage or close to give a fair comparison.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I have 3 TimberHawks and really love them all. As stated above. Scott is a great guy to work with. His prices seem to be pretty reasonable as well.

Can't say anything about the other two bows either. They are also excellent. You can hardly go wrong with the choices.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
TimberHawk is a great bow.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline pup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Any of the three build great bows.At this time I shoot a Timberhawk and enjoy it very much.You can't go wrong with a list like that.   PUP   :campfire:

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
i had one and liked it alot but i traded it off. wish i had it back. very good bows

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I've got two Timberhawks and plan to order a third one sometime soon! That being said, I have killed a bunch of animals with both a Widow MAIII and a SAII. Never shot s Zipper, but I have never heard a bad thing about them. Tough choice.....good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
My two final picks was Timberhawk and widow.I went with the Widow and very happy.but i will get a Hawk in the near future.
H

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I have a PSA II 60" 56@28 and a Talon Premier 62" 55@29 and they are completely different bows, but are both great shooters.  Scott is awesome to work with and really is a heck of a guy.  I got the Widow 2nd hand, but the Widow guys are good to work with too.

The PSA is the only Widow I've shot.  I've had Scott's longbows, one piece recurve, and different length 3pc take downs and they are all top notch.

That's an awesome decision to have!  They both have a try before you buy.  You should take them up on it.

At work:

Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Varmint 101

I like the wood combo on the Timberhawk in your 2nd pic !

:thumbsup:

On a side note and I think interesting; My buddy has a Widow with the Asbell grip. The only other grip he really likes is made by Scott at Timberhawk.

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I've got my eye on a timberhawk. Shot one a few times at K-zoo. It was a real shooter, best one compared to all the others I picked up.

Scott is nice too. He's answered all my dumb e-mails with patience. I wish he was closer so I could shoot a few more...

Brian

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I like the wood combo as well. Do you remember know what 2 types of woods they are?

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I believe it's zebrawood and cocobolo and the limbs are red elm with a cocobolo wedge.  I'm horrible at remembering woods though.

Another picture:

Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I joined this site no sure what to expect. I have to tell you it is one of the best things I have done. I would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped me on this choice.
I sent Scot an email and he responded very quickly. I am ordering my bow soon. I just have to choose my wood. It seems the hardest part of this will be waiting for the bow to be finished.  
Robert

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
You won't be sorry!

I'm can't wait until I have enough money to order one of Scott's bows for my oldest daughter.

I love mine!

:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©