3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Buff  (Read 430 times)

Offline Michael Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Buff
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
It was the start of the Buff season for me and I had a couple of mates along with me for the first week so we could suss out the quality of game in the area. We had worked out all the Buff movements and now it was time to go and roll a couple if we could. Steve & Andy headed off along one side of the river and I crossed over to follow a couple of Buff as they moved off the plain. Steve & Andy had John as backup with his 458 Winchester mag (Now that's a Buff stopper), I was on my own not really looking to arrow one but see where they were going during the heat of the day.

As I crossed over I told the boys I wouldn't be long and would keep radio contact just in case I saw something realy big.

Well now the fun starts...I am following the couple of buff along until they get to the second river branch and cross over, it took me a couple of minutes to find a spot for me to get across and follow them up. Well do you think I could find them again they just disappeared out into the following floodplain which had grass up to 8ft high in places. Next best thing is to climb a tree and see which way they went....struth what you can see from a vantage point. Out on the floodplain there must have been about 30-40 Buff cruising around feeding.

I decided to go out and check them out as they were scattered around and feeding quitely. Not a lot of cover out there except the high grass patches and the odd 10ft tree... I finally noticed a lone Bull about 400m away feeding in some grass about 3 ft high so giving me a good look at him when he lifted his head. He looked Ok so I thought I would take a closer look and radioed the boys to let them know what I was doing. The reply came back as usual "Don't do anything stupid Mick".

Everything was going well, I got into about 80m and could see he was well and truly Trophy Class. What do I do now-I know- I'll go over to that tree he is walking towards and climb it and see if he gives me a shot, can't be any safer than that. I go over climb the tree and yes it is a good one but the Buff had disappeared, Oh well better luck next time, I'll just go over to the edge of that depression and see where he went.

I sneak over and I am standing there looking out over the plain he was just on, CRUNCH, well that sounds a little close.

I look around just in time to see the big fella come out of the depression right in front of me at about 15m. I hit the deck thinking this is not a good spot to be right now. He is feeding along without a care in the world moving slightly to my right but closing the gap and heading into my scent path, what will he do when he hits that, what do I do, stay still, shot him or just sh"t myself.

Well this is how I came to my decision as what to do. Every Buff that we had shot always ran about 30-50m before looking around to see what had hit him, by then we were flat on the ground and in a safe place....great theory hey. So I used it.

He was totaly oblivious to me being there and continued to feed along, 8m this is it another 10ft and he hits my scent it's now or never. his head down I draw the 67lb Longbow to 42" or it seemed that far...then the words echoed back in my mind "Don't do anything stupid Mick". No not me as the arrow left the Bow and angled forward into the boiler room.

I hit the deck and looked up...yeah looked up into the eyes of the Bull just staring straight back at me at 8m, why he didn't run I DON"T KNOW but I think I could feel a bowel movement coming on. This is when all my hunting instincts suddenly kicked in. Mick don't move, be a small as you can anything smaller than the Bull is no threat, he didn't see me put that little shaft in him did he. I slowly nocked another arrow, I don't kow why cause it wasn't going to do anything at that range, I think I also stopped breathing and said goodbye to most of my family, just then the wind changed.

He smelt me it's all over I thought, no, he threw his head in the air and bolted going about 40m and falling over (Geez maybe the shot is good), he got up again and ran another 60m down he went again, up he got again and just stood there.

He stood there for a few minutes and then slowly walked into the 8ft grass giving me no view of him. Now I might add at this stage I was feeling a lot better than the previous 5 mins, so my brain facilty was coming back. "Go get the Backup rifle Mick" I could hear myself saying. I finally listened to me and headed off to get John and the 458 just in case the Buff was going to play. Unfortunatly John was 2km away and by the time I got him a good 45 mins had passed.

We got back to the fringes of the grass where I last saw him, pushing John along, as he knows what a charging Buff can do at close quarters. As we got to the spot I could see some blood with the trail heading into the grass. There not 5m from where I saw him last he lay stone cold dead. The arrow had entered just behind the last rib and lodged in the off shoulder taking out the back of one lung and the centre of the other. I was so relieved but vowed not to do that again without backup.

So here he is, not huge but Trophy Class. 84 SCI

Also managed to pick up a large Trophy Class Cow SCI 82 with the curve.

Both Bows where Balck Widows shooting 820GR Carbon Express Heritage 350's with Magnus 160gr broadheads and 190gr Grizzly's.

Longbow 67 lb @ 28
Recurve 61 lb @2 28.

Good Hunting All
Mick

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Buff
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »
A couple of us Katherine lads are off to see if we can't find a bull that's been hanging around one of our swamps tomorrow. Matt Wright will be shooting my 78lb BW longbow, and I'll be toting the .416 Rigby. Wish us luck!

Anyway, once again, Mick, they're lovely buffalo and marvellous bows!

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
Good Luck Ben.

Keep Safe
Mick

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
yeah have a safe one guys.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
WOW! Great story and buffs.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
great stuff Mick, and well deserved too!

look forward to hunting with you again in the future.

cheers Andy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Look like trophies to me!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:34:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Great buffs!

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Congrats!! Thanks for sharing this with us Mick!  Great story and great job on the buffalo.  I'm glad to hear that it had a happy ending.  That's pretty cool that you killed those buff with such light bows(comparatively to other buff bows I've heard of).  Did you get good penetration on them?  Again, great job on the buffalo and thanks for sharing it with us.  I hope to someday chase them around. I'll bet there's no rush like that! Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trophy Bowhunts Australia:
the words echoed back in my mind "Don't do anything stupid Mick". No not me as the arrow left the Bow
:scared:  
Congrats on a nice pair! Of Buffalo!
Great story!  I get scared just looking at pictures of those things!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Holy sh*! That's excitement!

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
Thats a dream hunt! Nice trophies.

Offline Michael Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words gentleman.

Shot placement is the key to these guys. Both Buff were taken by putting the arrow just behind the ribs angling forward into the off shoulder. The arrow took out the back of one lung and the middle of the second lung. Both taken at close quarters with the Buff Cow at 14 yards. You need heavy arrows and strong heads to do the job as any failure will result in lost game.

The Bull I took last year was side on and I split a rib on the near side took out the back of both lungs and the broadhead lodged halfway through a rib on the off side.

Widow 61 @ 28" I was drawing approx 30" so approx 68Lb. 820gr heritage 350's and grizzley 190 gr, steel adapters.

Info for all you travellers.

"The government over here is looking to clean up the Hunting operations in Arnhemland and making the whole business of guiding similiar to Africa. They are looking to split up Arnhemland into leased areas for Safari Operators and then that area will be for the sole use of that operator. So a Bow operation will not have any Rifle operaters on it. It will stop all the shody operators and people who should not be there from hunting. I am hoping to secure the same area I am using thus providing a secure operation. I also have a private concession so my operation is not in jeopody. If this all goes ahead and it looks like it will. Operators will be able to Capital improve their blocks so offerring clients greater comfort. It will also allow me to run up to 12 safaris a year instead of the 2 that I do now. So hopefully it will allow more of you guys to come and visit and have the Aussie adventure of a lifetime"

Good Hunting All
Mick

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Mick, what the government are doing sounds great! I'm hoping to get over there to do some hunting in a couple years or so....I'm sure my cousin Andy would love to go back to! ;-) Thanks for sharing mate!
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline leewillis92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
wiked cool man love it, thanks
Hunt Hard. Stay Safe. God Bless.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Skilled effort! Great story! Thanks.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
That was a great read!!  Felt like I was in the grass with ya!
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
good story!  thanks
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
I'd like to see Australia. I'd have to up my poundage a bit it seems.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
WOW!!!! THAT WAS TOO COOL ... CONGRATS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©