3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Habu Vs Black Widow  (Read 526 times)

Offline OBIOU HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Habu Vs Black Widow
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Hi,

I had 3 BW in the past and I loved their smoothness, but I sold them. Now I'd like to buy a new one but I also like the habu bows ( but I don't know how smooth they are )...

So could someone tell me more about Habu bows... Are they less or more smooth than the BW ?

Thanks

Chris
Christophe

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Habu Vs Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
This is my take having shoot both.  

The Habu with longbow limbs compared to a Widow PL.  The PL has more thump in your hand at release but it is also lighter.  The PL is faster by a few fps when I put a chrono side by side.

The Widow PSA vs. Habu Curve.  I really believe these to bows are very close as far as feel.  Both are Smooth and I could tell zero differance, the bows where within 3 lbs.  Both bows you dont feel a thing when you release.  The Widow had more mass which I liked.  
  Everyone's differant but I feel most people who shoot a Widow and dont care for them wont like a Habu and vice versa.

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Good summary L82HUNT. The difference in price is hard to justify the Habu. Both very good bows. I had the best of all the Habu models and have had a few Black Widows. In the end it comes down to what you like. One of a kind or mass produced doesn't matter to some. High price and a 2 year wait for a Habu I hear. As far as more or less smooth, they are so close. If the bows were priced the same I would choose the Habu. At something around 2000.00 and a 2 year wait I would take the Black Widow, but that's just me. As a shooter or perception of smooth you couldn't make a wrong choice.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Have owned or own a PSA and a Vyperkahn w/triple carbon limbs. Have shot them side by side. To me personally, there are some very significant differences.

Bow designs can be quite personal. Do what you can to get your hands on a Habu to give it a qualified evaluation. Only then will you be fully satisfied with your decision.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Can't fault that thinking Friend. Mine were not triple carbon limbs, on any of my Habu bows, just bamboo cores. Apples for apples to the Widows I owned.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
if i wanted a bow that looked like a widow,id probaly buy the widow..
i like biscuits

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
X2 with Friend

I have not shot a Habu but one differance is see is 12 weeks for a BW and 3 years for a Habu, that is new of course not if you buy used, Now if i really wanted a Habu and was about 10 to 15 years younger i might just wait the 3 years.

I would like to try one my self just have not had the chance.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
I bought a used Habu Death Adder about a year ago, and didn't feel that it shot as well for me as a comparable Widow.  I sold the Habu after a few months, and got all my money back out of it.  One thing, people are curious enough about a Habu that they are fairly easy to re-sell.  People like me want to try them out, but don't want to fork over all the money or wait all that time for a new one.

Just because I didn't like it as much as my Widows doesn't mean anything.  As others have said, it's a very personal thing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I have been shooting Habu Mamushi Recurve lately. They do not make them any more but in comparing it to a PTF or TF recurve the Habu is quieter and a little more consistant shooter "for me".
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I have never laid eyes on a Habu. I am on the 2-year waiting list though. I own a PSAIII that is 58" and 46#@26". I have exactly the same specs in a PAX, which is the one piece.  The PSAIII is a fine bow but I would buy the PAX three times before the PSAIII.  I love the graceful lines of the PAX. They don't shoot any different though.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
The grip is quite a bit different IMO with the Habu be more of a low-wrist style than the standard BW.  BW is has much more of a palm swell.  Limbs of the Habu are narrower.  I have a PSA and a Viperkhan hicurve.  Bought them both used for about the same $$$.  I've still not been able to decide which I like better.  Pretty fond of both!

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I have both Widows and and have had a HABU recurve and also a HABU with hybrid longbow limbs.  I really liked the HABU three piece longbow.  It was very smooth, no vibration and quiet.  Hard to compare to the Widow 3 piece bows since they don't have them with longbow limbs, but I prefer the feel and shot provided by the HABU longbow limbs any day over the recurve limbs.  Since then, I have discovered the Zipper's risers and grips on their 3 piece bows fit my shooting style better.  I have them with 62" & 64" longbow limbs and most likely will never go back to a 3 piece bow with a recurve limbs.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I've owned 3 widows(MA's) and 6 habus.The vyperkahn w/ triple carbon longbow is very quick,stable,and quiet bow.It's 60'' and would think it's not as smooth drawing as a recurve widow of the same legnth.I also have a set of 60'' glass and boo hycurve limbs that are very smooth and enjoyable to shoot.I've had both the standard and Asbell grip on the widow and preferred the Asbell grip but prefer the habu's grip to the widows.
Is there that much difference to warrant the extra money for the habu?Not really

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
If you want a Blackwidow with something more than just the standard wood you have to go to the X series which runs $1,200.00 so we're talking about a diffrence of $600.00 compared to a Habu not that much in the over all scheme of things. I have one Widow and have purchased 2 Habu's since December but I bought used on all of them my days of paying top dollar for any bow are over plus I hate the wait no matter how long. I find that the Habu is quieter than the Widow and shoots better for me. At this point I will continue to look and buy used Habu's maybe because it's the $1,800.00 2 year wait mystique that makes me want these bows.

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
BTW that deer I'm pictured with ( my biggest) was shot with a Widow.

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
I've only compared one B.W. to one "death adder". but I thought the B.W. was considerably faster. It was an early model so maybe he has improved them since.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I dont think you can compare the older Habus to the the newer Viper Khans with double and tripple carbon limbs and newer limb designs.The risers have changed as well and the grips have been modified.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 03:24:00 AM »
I too really like bows with reversed mounted limbs... I have had 3 MA and PMA's and one really fancy "skinned" Death Adder.. I shot the MA's considerably better than the habu, but liked the weight of the Habu better, as the riser is lighter...

That said, I discovered Jack Kemp's Kwyk Styks  :eek:    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
I enjoyed this thread, always intesting to see what other thoughts are on my brothers bows(habu).  After 40 plus years in archery things have not changed much, we all like what we like. I for one am glad that there is a variety to choose from.
habu john
habujohn

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
If we are going to talk options the throw EagleWing Talon into the mix. As the Quik Styk is it is a static reverse mount./
God Bless you all, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©